First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Information Technology
So I’m looking into a shock upgrade from my Fox 2.0 shocks, looking at the Falcon 3.5 Adapt, Fox 2.5 DSC and then the Bilstein 8100 Bypass shocks. I’m really leaning towards the Bilstein shocks because of the compression and rebound adjustability as well as being a bypass type shock. Anyone running the Bilstein to provide any feedback? It’s not about the cost between the three, just want a great riding Gladiator in most situations.
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I know the litbrite giveaway gladiator last year got a set. And they did a few videos but it’s hard to find them to link to.

OP
OP
Eazye

Eazye

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Technology
I know the litbrite giveaway gladiator last year got a set. And they did a few videos but it’s hard to find them to link to.

Yeah, watched those and appreciate the input they gave but I struggle to give 100% credit to YouTubers since most are paid to run something on their jeep. That is why I turned to here, hoping someone not “given” these shocks could provide input. Im sure they are good but want real world, non financial driven, opinions. There may not be, don’t think these have a big enough following like Fox or King to entice people to spend $3500 on them.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I'm running the Fox 2.5s. I felt they sucked out of the box, but I'm about 90% satisfied now that I have been tuning the valving to my liking and weights.

Seems like you couldn't go wrong with a bypass, but I wouldn't expect them to be perfect out of the box either.

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running the Fox 2.5s. I felt they sucked out of the box, but I'm about 90% satisfied now that I have been tuning the valving to my liking and weights.

Seems like you couldn't go wrong with a bypass, but I wouldn't expect them to be perfect out of the box either.
yup thats how it is with shocks you could have some fox 3.0's and completely hate em' and then you can see a guy with 2.5 shocks absolutely loving his setup going fast hitting whoops and all that simply cause they're tuned to his liking according to said persons driving style

The shocks will only be so good out the box but lets say you have tons of weight in the back they will feel very "soft per say" couple that with the occasional cornering at high/mild speed or being in a off camber situations were you need that damping you will start to hate your brand new set of adjustable (that can only do so much) shocks that you spent about 2-3k on

But at this point im really am starting to think on either buying fox or king And im leaning on the fox 2.5's cause of the low/high speed adjustment and also they are longer when it comes to the length of the shocks to give me that slight bit of down travel,And if i dont like the valving ill hire someone to tune the valving

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eazye

Eazye

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Technology
yup thats how it is with shocks you could have some fox 3.0's and completely hate em' and then you can see a guy with 2.5 shocks absolutely loving his setup going fast hitting whoops and all that simply cause they're tuned to his liking according to said persons driving style

The shocks will only be so good out the box but lets say you have tons of weight in the back they will feel very "soft per say" couple that with the occasional cornering at high/mild speed or being in a off camber situations were you need that damping you will start to hate your brand new set of adjustable (that can only do so much) shocks that you spent about 2-3k on

But at this point im really am starting to think on either buying fox or king And im leaning on the fox 2.5's cause of the low/high speed adjustment and also they are longer when it comes to the length of the shocks to give me that slight bit of down travel,And if i dont like the valving ill hire someone to tune the valving
Yeah, that is where Accutune comes into play, valved for you right out of the box and then you play with the adjustments. Also one of the reasons I’m looking at Blistein, they have both compression and rebound adjustments and their adjustments are full hard to full open soft. I’d hope I could find that sweet spot….

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, that is where Accutune comes into play, valved for you right out of the box and then you play with the adjustments. Also one of the reasons I’m looking at Blistein, they have both compression and rebound adjustments and their adjustments are full hard to full open soft. I’d hope I could find that sweet spot….
My front Fox 2.5s were full tight both adjusters slamming off the air bumps idling down a trail before I started. Front and rear needed a LOT of rebound added. Some of this is the extra weight of the diesel.

OP
OP
Eazye

Eazye

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Technology
Well, I was considering the Falcon aDAPT shocks as well but they have eliminated themselves by being a 7 month wait based on the email I just received from them. It’s too bad, seems like a good concept that nobody seems to be able to test out….

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
SDI offers a electronic shock for jeep, might want to call them.

OP
OP
Eazye

Eazye

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Technology
SDI offers a electronic shock for jeep, might want to call them.
Appreciate the input but I’ve never heard of SDI….. With zero knowledge of them I’d have a tough time dropping $3k+ on something I’ve never heard of. I’ll have to do some digging to see what’s out there on them.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
SDI, is the manufacture that makes suspension components for the manufacturers. Fox and folks out source lots of the little things like pistons, shims, adjusters ect, because it is more cost effective, just like jeep doesn't make every single part they have sub contractors.

Lots of tuners use these guys to get the parts they need to do their work.

I understand your perspective, just want to let you know a few more players in the market that keep a low profile and are more suspension builders for suspension builders.

They specialize in SXS and Dirtbikes, 2 of the biggest off-road markets that have higher demands then the jeep market, so they have a good knowledge base.

Thought I would mention it if you are in a hurry and looking for something right now.

ADS Arizona Desert Shocks is another shock builder, local to me that machines all their own stuff and offers any type of custom shock you want, well known in Toyota circles. No e stuff though.

At the end of the day all suspensions are the same (you can only do so much with the space given) and really comes down to tunability and how much you want, materials used to build the shocks is the only other variable that has the biggest impact.

Once you start pull these things apart you start to see they are all basically the same on the inside.

OP
OP
Eazye

Eazye

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Technology
SDI, is the manufacture that makes suspension components for the manufacturers. Fox and folks out source lots of the little things like pistons, shims, adjusters ect, because it is more cost effective, just like jeep doesn't make every single part they have sub contractors.

Lots of tuners use these guys to get the parts they need to do their work.

I understand your perspective, just want to let you know a few more players in the market that keep a low profile and are more suspension builders for suspension builders.

They specialize in SXS and Dirtbikes, 2 of the biggest off-road markets that have higher demands then the jeep market, so they have a good knowledge base.

Thought I would mention it if you are in a hurry and looking for something right now.

ADS Arizona Desert Shocks is another shock builder, local to me that machines all their own stuff and offers any type of custom shock you want, well known in Toyota circles. No e stuff though.

At the end of the day all suspensions are the same (you can only do so much with the space given) and really comes down to tunability and how much you want, materials used to build the shocks is the only other variable that has the biggest impact.

Once you start pull these things apart you start to see they are all basically the same on the inside.
I was actually intrigued after you posted it and they seem to be quality built shocks. Motor trend had a great write up and I see lots of other positive posts on other jeep pages talking about how great the setup was.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wish I knew about SDI this when I started down this road. At $5k for the E-Clik Pro, I would have been all in.

I also think there is a chance Shock Therapy teaming with Fox may include some of this technology that could be retrofitted, so I'm not jumping ship yet.

OP
OP
Eazye

Eazye

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Technology