Bird in the Hand, or...

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Found a diesel JT within driving distance that is Pretty Close to what I would order (been waiting on new colors).
Decisions, decisions! :headbang: :LOL:
Sponsored

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
Okay, seems like a pretty simple problem to have. Do you want the one you found now despite not being EXACTLY what you want, or is it worth the wait to get EXACTLY what you want?

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
If you don't get exactly what you want you will never be 100% happy. I love my Nacho Willys. But I bought one that my dealer got in because I missed the order window for Nacho by a few days. I went ahead and ordered a Sting Gray Sport S equipped exactly like I wanted. Then the Nacho arrived a few weeks later. It was missing Selec-trac which I really wanted and had the Premium Audio package which I didn't want. I chose to get the color I really wanted over options. Here I am 8 months later getting ready to take delivery of a Gecko Sport S I ordered back in August equipped exactly like I want. I still prefer Nacho over Gecko. But I like fun colors. Especially when they are limited run colors. I can live with Gecko to have every option I want and none I don't want.

I will add the only reason I'm doing this is because I'm getting $3k more for my Willys than I paid for it. I would not do it if I had to roll negative equity.

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, seems like a pretty simple problem to have. Do you want the one you found now despite not being EXACTLY what you want, or is it worth the wait to get EXACTLY what you want?
So you got a crystal ball & can tell what new colors will be coming?
I suspect we will get 'Earl Grey' and maybe purple - neither I am interested in.

Victoryrider78

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales / Operations Support
I couldn't agree more with this. In a quick decision I took 1 of 3 they had on the lot back in June 2020. I just wanted a JT, and didn't do enough homework on what exactly I wanted. I should've done more research, and ordered the right truck with the features I wanted. I'll probably do that when I hit the two year mark next year.

Make sure you get what you want!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fwiw, I have been waiting since 2019, was ready to order a diesel JT & they dropped both Gator and Gobi. 🙄
I know Exactly what I want as far as options it's just down to color choice.
The point is well made above about trade-in value. A 2021 sitting on a lot & my trade now versus 3 month wait for an order placed in Maybe January so 2022 price increase and whatever impact on the used market.

Last edited:

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Saw yesterday that Gobi supposedly showed back up in the Canadian JL brochure for 2022.

I'm only holding out now to see what Stellantis says when they officially launch the 22s. I want to make sure I order the right one/options.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saw yesterday that Gobi supposedly showed back up in the Canadian JL brochure for 2022.

I'm only holding out now to see what Stellantis says when they officially launch the 22s. I want to make sure I order the right one/options.
That's the hard part about getting a new vehicle. The option of buying what you want now or waiting for what you hope will be announced.

Ever since they brought Chief Blue back for a limited run on the JL I've been holding on to hope that it will make it's way over to the JT. There is a 50/50 chance that it will. It would be an instant order for me. But do I wait for what might not happen? Tough call. If I wait I may miss out on one that I really like now for a chance that Chief will be announced. If I don't wait and they announce it I could be stuck in a position that wouldn't make financial sense to trade.

It's a shame Jeep doesn't do what other manufacturers do. Offer a custom color option with many to choose from for an upcharge. I'm sure many would pick that option if it was reasonably priced.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Never hurts to talk to them. You are always compromising whether it be on features or final price. Getting exactly what you want will be extremely difficult in my experience unless you resort to ordering at which point I've always managed better ordering off the lot. If they'll deal and you can get price concessions vs the one you want, I say buy it.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I'm over waiting for another MY (I think), but I don't need a JT this winter and so feel like I can hang on and order when we know more - even if it's December at that point. XAK would be huge for me. I was in a Ram this weekend with the UC4 and XAK and it was pretty sweet. I assume that if they add it, it goes on every JTR and JTM but I want to be sure.

I would buy off a lot or even used like off of these forums, but people are crazy about what they think these things are worth as a 'bird in the hand'. No, I don't want to pay 60K for your used truck that you've rode hard for the first year, modded, de-modded, and are now trying to flip for a profit. No thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a shame Jeep doesn't do what other manufacturers do. Offer a custom color option with many to choose from for an upcharge. I'm sure many would pick that option if it was reasonably priced.
Jeep Gladiator Bird in the Hand, or... 1635948624907

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
So you got a crystal ball & can tell what new colors will be coming?
I suspect we will get 'Earl Grey' and maybe purple - neither I am interested in.
Jeep Gladiator Bird in the Hand, or... 1635948746101
"Earl Grey, hot..."

OP
OP
Oilburner

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, I don't think the Ecodiesel will be an option indefinitely.
As soon as they figure a replacement/upgrade for the 3.6L, I think the 3.0L will go away.

BlackBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
When I went in to order my JT they found one nearby that was 95% close to what I wanted.
The differences weren't worth waiting months for my Gladiator, and I've been very happy with it.
The primary differences for me were AT vs MT tires, no tonneau, and hardtop instead of softtop.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I went in to order my JT they found one nearby that was 95% close to what I wanted.
The differences weren't worth waiting months for my Gladiator, and I've been very happy with it.
The primary differences for me were AT vs MT tires, no tonneau, and hardtop instead of softtop.
I wouldn't consider any of those a deal breaker either. Tires are easily changed. Soft top buy later and have the best of both worlds. Tonneau cover there are many aftermarket options that are better and less expensive than the Mopar.
Sponsored