black fenders and top vs color matching

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
So I heard you shouldn't get the color matching fenders and top because if you do any off-roading they are just going to get pinstriped and scratched up. Is that true?
Sponsored

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
The factory applied a clear plastic to the rear fenders to protect them from crap thrown from the front. They are doing chip seal on the freeway near my house, and while the clear plastic works, I now have a billion tiny little tar dots on it. I tried Goo Gone, but that didn't work, my guess is any chemical that can dissolve the tar will also ruin the plastic protector.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
The factory applied a clear plastic to the rear fenders to protect them from crap thrown from the front. They are doing chip seal on the freeway near my house, and while the clear plastic works, I now have a billion tiny little tar dots on it. I tried Goo Gone, but that didn't work, my guess is any chemical that can dissolve the tar will also ruin the plastic protector.

WD40 will dissolve the tar and will not hurt the fender or paint.

Possibly the only thing WD40 does worth a damn, but it does that.

I had a white 3/4 ton Chevrolet that I used as a sales truck, it routinely got tar,riad film, lane marking paint, and bugs like no tomorrow. I would first spray the entire thing with a can of WD40, wait thirty minutes or so, then spray the whole thing with 2 cans of Scrubbing Bubbles, wait about 3 minutes then wash as normal.

There was nothing left on that truck when I was done (including wax) but the paint never showed any signs of not liking it.

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's pretty great. I think the matching fenders look better but not if they are going to get scratched right away and look terrible. Im not sure the price justifies the look either.

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
That's pretty great. I think the matching fenders look better but not if they are going to get scratched right away and look terrible. Im not sure the price justifies the look either.
One thing about color matched fenders is if you knock one off in 3 years, you're going to have to go to extra lengths to get one matched. With the black textured, just bolt another one on and go about your life.

I will however say that I think the painted fenders look nicer, just not as practical.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
Since I started looking at the gladiator I was all about matching fenders, until I saw someone line-X’d the plastic ones when I was out one day. Now I think I’ll just go that route.

Tacoman03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bright White JT Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Range Rover Velar; 2017 Jaguar F Pace
Vehicle Showcase
Matching Top and Fenders for the Win! Always had black fenders/tops for all 6 Wranglers of the past, including my JL Sahara and last JL Rubicon, but for some reason, the color matched top/fenders look better on the JT....My Opinion....

Kelroundell

First Name
Kel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (white) 2012 Buick Enclave
If you buy the Overland it comes with body colour fenders and the top is black unless you pay extra for matching body colour, is that right?

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you buy the Overland it comes with body colour fenders and the top is black unless you pay extra for matching body colour, is that right?
I don't think so.

Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Since I started looking at the gladiator I was all about matching fenders, until I saw someone line-X’d the plastic ones when I was out one day. Now I think I’ll just go that route.
That's a very interesting option - I would like to see pictures of it if anyone has one. Did it make it look more rugged?

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
That's a very interesting option - I would like to see pictures of it if anyone has one. Did it make it look more rugged?
Floating around here somewhere - looks pretty cool. I have been tossing around the idea about doing the bed, fenders and top in colored LineX.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Floating around here somewhere - looks pretty cool. I have been tossing around the idea about doing the bed, fenders and top in colored LineX.
Wait, they can do colored line-x too? I thought it only came in black... so it prolly looks like a rough powder coating right?

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I like the matching fenders and top. If several years down the road, they get beat up, I might Line-X over them. I'm also considering the color Line-X option, but I haven't priced it out yet.
Sponsored