First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
I've seen a few threads but wanted to share what I found.

First ive got a 2021 rubicon ecodiesel. The factory block heater is installed in the block weather it came with the "block heater" option or not.

I found the cord for 20 bucks from napa. Part number KAT 28500.

Many guys have complained the cord isn't long enough to reach past the hood or grill. I found that if you route it along the frame rail to the front to come out between the grill and bumper theres enough length with a few inches to spare. I also found a factory clip/hook on the back side of my bumper that holds the cord securely. if you loop the cord and tuck the plug end between the bumper and the frame cover the cord slips into the clip. dont know if all bumpers have that clilp or if this is possibly the intended purpose but it works perfect.

I attached a few pics.

20201129_140358.jpg

20201129_140346.jpg

16066832165844546179041578299446.jpg
Sponsored

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase

First ive got a 2021 rubicon ecodiesel. The factory block heater is installed in the block weather it came with the "block heater" option or not.

Many guys have complained the cord isn't long enough to reach past the hood or grill. I found that if you route it along the frame rail to the front to come out between the grill and bumper theres enough length with a few inches to spare. I also found a factory clip/hook on the back side of my bumper that holds the cord securely. if you loop the cord and tuck the plug end between the bumper and the frame cover the cord slips into the clip. dont know if all bumpers have that clilp or if this is possibly the intended purpose but it works perfect.

I attached a few pics.

20201129_140358.jpg

20201129_140346.jpg

Mine has the hook on the inside bumper as well but wrong side. My cord is mounted on the driver's side? I added a small extension cord and routed down side and out below grill and bumper.
16066859296677288089366494554873.jpg

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
Great info!
Can you post a picture of where on the block the plug is?
Thx

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Great info!
Can you post a picture of where on the block the plug is?
Thx
Its impossible to show the location in a picture without removing the fender. This YouTube video was the most helpful for me. I was able to find it and install the cord by feel without disassembling anything.

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Its impossible to show the location in a picture without removing the fender. This YouTube video was the most helpful for me. I was able to find it and install the cord by feel without disassembling anything.
Watched the video, great information. Since you mentioned that it is impossible to show the location without removing the fender, how did you access it? I have the cold weather package and want to add this ASAP!

Sponsored

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
I dont know if this will help or not........Lay on the ground head towards the front of the jeep under the front axle and reach up between the inner fender and frame behind the axle and shock tower. You'll have to feel around to find it. Pay real close attention the orientation and angle when removing the orange rubber cap. The plug/cord goes in harder than the cap so getting it lined up and started right is important.

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont know if this will help or not........Lay on the ground head towards the front of the jeep under the front axle and reach up between the inner fender and frame behind the axle and shock tower. You'll have to feel around to find it. Pay real close attention the orientation and angle when removing the orange rubber cap. The plug/cord goes in harder than the cap so getting it lined up and started right is important.
Whew, okay I will give that a shot.

Unrelated, whereabout in Iowa are you located? I am in Iowa City.

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
mitchellville (just east of des moines).

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase

I attached a few pics.

20201129_140358.jpg

20201129_140346.jpg

Did you route yours down and over to the passenger side? Mine was closed up at the top fender driver's side from factory.

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Did you route yours down and over to the passenger side? Mine was closed up at the top fender driver's side from factory.
my block heater is on the passenger side of the block (ecodiesel) so it was a straight shot and simplest to run it out the passenger side front . if yours is the gas 3.6 i have no idea where the block heater is located on those, guessing it's on the driver side if that's where your cord was located. the cords are only like 5 feet long so there aren't many routing options unless you extend it.

Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my block heater is on the passenger side of the block (ecodiesel) so it was a straight shot and simplest to run it out the passenger side front . if yours is the gas 3.6 i have no idea where the block heater is located on those, guessing it's on the driver side if that's where your cord was located. the cords are only like 5 feet long so there aren't many routing options unless you extend it.
I am fairly certain that the 3.6 is on the driver's side. If the cord is installed from the factory, that's where they bundle it. They also expect that you'll pop the hood to plug it in which seems like a hassle so, yes, they don't provide a way to route it to the front of the vehicle.

I know where you are at in Iowa. I lived in Urbandale for about 10 years.

Stay warm and safe!

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
that one has the correct plug end but the cord comes out at 90 degrees instead of straight out like the 28500 and the factory cord.

it might work but i'd be extra careful about the proximity of the cord to the hot engine components down there.

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
So has anyone actually tried to find the Male engine connection?

I don't see it anywhere! It's obviously super tight on the passenger side but if anyone has a clear picture or video of where it can be found that would be great!

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
just found this tidbit
Sponsored