John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Hey everyone,
I'm a big fan of Blue Ridge Overland Gear products and run a bunch of their molle bags, pouches and a trash receptacle inside my JTR. I've been wanting an attic net in the Gladiator to carry soft goods like coats, blankets, pillows...etc since out here in CO we basically keep a puffy jacket and blanket inside the truck year round. Blue Ridge Overland Gear (BROG) offers a JL attic but nothing for a JT since our rear roll bars bend down quickly and don't provide an adequate rear mounting support for the attic net... unless you want everything sliding out the back of the net or don't care about having an extremely droopy net. I really like the quality of BROG products though and the price point for the JL attic net was too tempting not to give it a shot in the JT (knowing that I'd have to come up with a custom mounting solution).

Well... I think I found a very easy and cheap solution to make the JL attic net work (perfectly) in the JT :)

I simply bent up some "L" brackets from scrap steel in the garage to create rear mounting legs for the net. I attached them to the rear-most OEM torx head bolts and oriented them in the position that I found matched the front straps from a height perspective. I also chose to mount the front straps in a more forward location than BROG recommends in their JL instructions. I chose to use the more forward holes in the roll bar then drape the strap over the top of the sound bar. I did this in order to draw the entire front edge of the net closer to the speakers so that I'd run less risk of items sliding out the front upon a hard stop AND because I felt it created more tension on the overall net position for less droop when all (4) straps were cinched tight.

As you can see in the photos the net seems perfectly level with minimal droop and no rear visibility issues. There's a very slight bit of flex out of the rear legs at the bolts. I'm not sure if those OEM torx bolts are going into the metal of the roll bar or if it's all plastic? The legs themselves do not flex though, just the point where the bolt secures them into the roll bar. Finally, I like that they added the draw string webbing to the net as this will provide us a nice spot to hang damp towels overnight inside the vehicle to dry while we camp. Final finally, the net can quickly detach from the clips without removing the mounting straps if you need transport passengers. OR, I found that you can detach just the rear clips then stuff the backside of the net over the top of the sound bar to store it out of the way without removing it from the vehicle.

If you're looking for an attic net under $90 and you're willing to bend-up or buy some "L" brackets then this might be the ticket.

The "L" bracket overall length is 5.25" > this means the long portion of the leg is 4.25" before the bend > the "L" tab is 1.0" where the strap bolts down.

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net PXL_20210211_002019037

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net PXL_20210211_002032172

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net PXL_20210211_002042674

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net PXL_20210211_002055370

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net PXL_20210211_002256765

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net PXL_20210211_000205622.NIGHT

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net PXL_20210210_235619944
Sponsored

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Jeep Gladiator
I did this last night. All I have to say is, this is a fantastic idea. My only comments on the design, if I had had more time for fabrication and access to 3D printers, I would improve the space on the roll bar that the L bracket bolts to. Because the L bracket moves with tension and you can't tighten that screw any further (possibly without stripping it.) So, there needs to be some kind of angular spacer that fits inside the groove of the plastic roll bar that holds it in place. I think that would help with the flex as well.

These are just maddening thoughts I have now that its finished, so it may just be delusional statments.YMMV.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Word of caution, the screws through the roll bar covers are NOT structural screws. They will not take much weight before they break.

Had the JEEP grab handles installed, my height challenged wife used the passenger side to get in and out. One of the screws broke as she was getting in. Landed on her butt, got muddy, I laughed, STILL in the dog house.

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Word of caution, the screws through the roll bar covers are NOT structural screws. They will not take much weight before they break.

Had the JEEP grab handles installed, my height challenged wife used the passenger side to get in and out. One of the screws broke as she was getting in. Landed on her butt, got muddy, I laughed, STILL in the dog house.
Yeah, you can tell that it is screwed into some kind of clip on the backside and not into the metal. I have some more steel, after I return from my trip at the end of this month, I think I will rethink the mounting point. Temporarily though, it works great.

Sponsored

OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst

Absolutely correct! I kind of mentioned this point in my opening post but it's definitely worth bringing up again. We only keep puffy coats, hats and other "light" items up there but it works great to keep them out of the way.

I wanted to install rivnuts in the roll bar itself but I could have sworn that I read some where online that the steel the roll bar is tough on drill bits and not easy to do???

**edit** found where Rock Hard 4x4 mentions it... it was enough to deter me at the moment... until i snap the faux OEM little torx bolts :)

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net 1628629070895

Last edited:
OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I did this last night. All I have to say is, this is a fantastic idea. My only comments on the design, if I had had more time for fabrication and access to 3D printers, I would improve the space on the roll bar that the L bracket bolts to. Because the L bracket moves with tension and you can't tighten that screw any further (possibly without stripping it.) So, there needs to be some kind of angular spacer that fits inside the groove of the plastic roll bar that holds it in place. I think that would help with the flex as well.

These are just maddening thoughts I have now that its finished, so it may just be delusional statments.YMMV.
Make me a pair please :)

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make me a pair please :)
I actually just met a guy that lives down the street from me that has a printer. I am going to continue to ply him with friendliness and free beer. I'll circle back once I have won his trust and time on that printer. :LOL:

As for the drill bit conversation. I think step bits are hardened cobalt. Just a thought. Also, there is a pre-cut hole on the interior side of the bar, maybe I can do something with that? 🤷‍♂️

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet Silver Gladiator Rubicon
That's interesting. Was able to mount mine w/o having to setup brackets... just took a little bit of fiddling to get the straps adjusted right but pretty happy with the setup and haven't had any issues with things falling off thus far.

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's interesting. Was able to mount mine w/o having to setup brackets... just took a little bit of fiddling to get the straps adjusted right but pretty happy with the setup and haven't had any issues with things falling off thus far.
Picture? Interested to know the angle.

Sponsored

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ill have to take some better pictures... Already getting dark here.

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net IMG_20210813_201726

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net IMG_20210813_201812

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net IMG_20210813_201739

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net IMG_20210813_201709

Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net IMG_20210813_201834

Last edited:

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at yours and mine, yours is definitely sitting way higher. I might end up going that route as well and making a bracket for it to raise it up a bit.

salsadoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
thanks for the idea, i made the same brackets, works great!
Jeep Gladiator Blue Ridge Overland Gear Attic Net 79E8B14F-80F6-45B8-9255-5BFD6EABF23D

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I found this thread yesterday. I also built my own printer so I will CAD up a bracket and print using the dimensions from OP's post

Don't have my gladiator yet, but I'll put this on the shelf and have it ready when mine is delivered.

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Share the cad file... What material are you printing this in? Abs? I know pla won't work as it'll just melt in the summer but petg might work.
Sponsored