First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
CAD Designer
I just traded in my 16 Wrangler Unlimited Sport for a new 21 80th Anniversary Gladiator. Any recommendation on body corrosion protection? Given the box rust out history of Dodge/Ram trucks over the last 25 years (including my 2007 Hemi Quad Cab) I want to be very proactive on this topic.
Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
What part of the box have you seen rust to badly on the rams? If you're just talking around the wheel wells, I think that's fairly well eliminated due to the fender/fender liner design of jeeps (wrangler and gladiator) in that there's plastic fully surrounding each wheel. I don't really forsee any rust issues unless there was some engineering design oversight somewhere where water/debris is able to collect between hidden body panels and spreading to somewhere visible.

Tonyzak36

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I went with Fluid film on my 17 wrangler and will be applying it to my gladiator shortly. I live in the rust belt, harsh winters and tons of salted roads and my Wrangler frame looked brand new when I traded it in on my Gladiator after 4yrs. Also off-road quite frequently through mud. You have to re-apply every year or so but not all to bad.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
I went with Fluid film on my 17 wrangler and will be applying it to my gladiator shortly. I live in the rust belt, harsh winters and tons of salted roads and my Wrangler frame looked brand new when I traded it in on my Gladiator after 4yrs. Also off-road quite frequently through mud. You have to re-apply every year or so but not all to bad.
Does it help or just make a mess?

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I will be going with fluid film also. There is a guy on YouTube (Repair Geek) that does a lot of testing with multiple films, paints, rubber sprays.... and Fluid film preformed the best. I did my 2013 wrangler and it did its job. Some small rust still but nothing out of control. You can get in the frame and body panels with the special adapter hose. That is probably the most important part. Then I just re-coated every fall. It can be a bit messy if you are regularly underneath wrenching as it leaves a oil residue that dirt sticks too. Pay attention to where you spray it an you wont have an issue. I avoided the engine, trans, and exhaust. If you do a suspension swap afterwards you will want gloves while working but I promise every bolt will come off just fine. I certainly want to spray it around the DEF tank to keep that corrosion at bay. DEF will eat through paint in days.
This big problem with rubber spray is they rust underneath and it comes off in sheets only after the blister is thick enough. By then it may be a bad.
My 2 sense.

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I used 4 cans of Fluid Film on the underside of my JT, it does make a mess and attract dirt but the protection from rust and corrosion is worth it IMO. I also sprayed some stuff under the hood that was bare metal or fasteners. They sell it at Lowe’s for $10 a can.

Tonyzak36

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Does it help or just make a mess?
It helps for sure. I also applied to the inside of the frame rails on my wrangler. It’s messy if you have to ever work underneath since it never technically “dries” but, I was satisfied with it and will be using again.

OP
OP
JCS-Bowhunter

JCS-Bowhunter

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
CAD Designer