Sponsored

Bouncy Jeep (Newb Question)

xcantuaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Bought my JL slightly used. Already came with 35's and 2inch lift (Mopar). I don't know much about suspension.....what upgrade will settle the jeep down and cushion the bumps.
Sponsored

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
Tire pressure would be the first check for sure...

OP
OP

xcantuaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
35's Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I believe I saw 37 psi for all 4 tires on the screen. I thought better shocks would do the job.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The fox shocks are excellent. What do you mean by bouncy? Stiff, rough ride? Those Ridge Grapplers are likely an E rated tire, which is a bad, bad fit for the JL/JLU.

Sponsored

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
35's Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I believe I saw 37 psi for all 4 tires on the screen. I thought better shocks would do the job.
Are they load range E?

If so they are 10 ply one ton truck tires.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The fox shocks are excellent. What do you mean by bouncy? Stiff, rough ride? Those Ridge Grapplers are likely an E rated tire, which is a bad, bad fit for the JL/JLU.
Aren’t a majority of 35” tires E rated? I have Ridge Grapplers on my JLU and they have been one of the best sets of ATs I have run in recent history.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Aren’t a majority of 35” tires E rated? I have Ridge Grapplers on my JLU and they have been one of the best sets of ATs I have run in recent history.
Yep. And they are too damn thick on the sides for a Jeep. 37's are almost all E rated. You can get KO2's and Open Country M/T's in a C rating with a 315/&0R17 tire, or a wide variety of D rated tires. A few tires come in a C rating in the 35x12.50R17 size as well, but they're not usually considered great options.

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
What does the E rated have to do with how it rides? I have the 35 ridge Grapplers with Mopar lift and it gets wobbly when I hit little bumps. Is it the kit, shocks, or the tires?

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
Trail Grapplers in 37s are D rated... but not sure on the ridge grapplers.

Sponsored

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Just as a data point - I have a Sahara Unlimited with 18" wheels that came standard with 32" Dueler AT tires. I wanted 33" BFG KO2 which in an 18" wheel size were only available in load range E. I didn't see much of anything available for an 18" wheel from any manufacturer other than load range E. I spent a few days reading the various online feedback about the ride quality of load range E tires.

I decided to pull the trigger and can report the 275/70R18 load range E BFG KO2 tires on a Wrangler Sahara Unlimited work. I have them set at 32 PSI cold and haven't experienced any TPMS warnings. I did not experience teeth jarring ride quality and I asked the family if they noticed any difference without informing them of the new tires - they had no idea.

That being said there's going to be a huge weight difference between 33" and 37" tires. I believe the change in overall tire weight may play into the ride quality more than the actual load rating. There may be a point where things are heavy enough ride quality begins to deteriorate. Just my observation. Good luck!

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
What does the E rated have to do with how it rides? I have the 35 ridge Grapplers with Mopar lift and it gets wobbly when I hit little bumps. Is it the kit, shocks, or the tires?
Load range C = 6 ply
Load range D =8 ply
Load range E =10 ply

E range has stiffer sidewall, can take more air for heavy loads, translates to less sidewall flex and stiffer ride for lighter vehicles.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
I have BFG KO2’s 35x12.5R18 Load range E tires on my Sahara. I run 29-30 in the front and 28 in the rear. No problem at all with tread wear. When I purchased the Jeep new, the dealer had the air pressure set to I believe 44. It rode terrible then, and wandered all over the road at highway speed.

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
Yes, try lowering tire pressure see how that does. Should help some. Just don’t lower too much or you’ll get uneven tire wear.

At the end of the day you’re driving a lifted sport utility vehicle with off road tires... it’s not going to feel like Cadillac.
Sponsored