Brake Controller - best available

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
So at this point I have given up on the factory ever releasing their brake controller (so expect it to be ready for order two days after I get my one installed, lol). Ordering Gator I thought for sure it would be available by the time I ordered, or surely by the time I picked up my Jeep. Sadly none of this came true.

As it stands right now I own a truck, yet if I need to use my trailer I would pull it with my Toyota Sienna due to a "best in class" towing capacity truck lacking a basic feature.

I have parsed through the various threads and really am having a hard time coming to a decision if the curt spectrum is better or the redarc. Having never heard of rederc I am leaning towards the curt, but the install video where they kept the 12volt plug in tact leans me towards redarc.

Now that some people have used these for a while how do the users of these feel? Anybody researched this more than me? Being 6'3 I want to avoid the knee buster style since the jeep already is lacking when it comes to space in the front.
Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Redarc and it’s a great controller. Used it for a couple years now in my old truck, and was happy enough to extract it from the Tacoma before turning it in to put in my Gladiator.

As an aside, the Redarc is relatively new in the US, but they have years and years in Australia and work very well on and off road.

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I have the Redarc and it’s a great controller. Used it for a couple years now in my old truck, and was happy enough to extract it from the Tacoma before turning it in to put in my Gladiator.

As an aside, the Redarc is relatively new in the US, but they have years and years in Australia and work very well on and off road.
Thats good to know they have a longer history than I thought. How did you end up mounting your Redarc? The 12V jack or something else?

Bassman2

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jkU
If you have the towing package, do we have wires in the dash ready for a brake controller?

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
If you have the towing package, do we have wires in the dash ready for a brake controller?
I know for sure the max tow package does.

Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
I also got tired of waiting for the mythical Mopar brake control. Decided to take advantage of the new technology but going with the wireless Prodigy RF. Easy install and flawless operation.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thats good to know they have a longer history than I thought. How did you end up mounting your Redarc? The 12V jack or something else?
I ended up mounting it in the 12V outlet spot because I always keep my phone plugged into the USB on the dash anyway. I might end up putting a 12V outlet in the glove box or somewhere else, but so far I haven't needed it. The installs that put it on the dash or console look neat too, I just didn't want to drill a hole in case I ever need/want to remove it.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the towing package equipped trucks should have the brake controller plug up under the dash.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I'm not sure how much has changed in the JL and JT, but for what it's worth, in the JK, even without the tow package, you could tap a brake signal wire under the dash and use that as the input to the brake controller. Accessing it was a major PITA though. There's just no room under there and not much wire to work with. But it can be done. I ran a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller and it was fantastic.

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I ended up mounting it in the 12V outlet spot because I always keep my phone plugged into the USB on the dash anyway. I might end up putting a 12V outlet in the glove box or somewhere else, but so far I haven't needed it. The installs that put it on the dash or console look neat too, I just didn't want to drill a hole in case I ever need/want to remove it.
I use the USB as well, but on trips with the kids I have outdone what my Sienna can handle due to things like the Nintendo switch and an external display. One thing to keep in mind is it looks like the USB-C port for sure supports something like 15 watt quick charge, but I don't thing it supports the usb-pd standard for 18+ watts (need for full fast charge on an iphone). The new Note 10+ can actually do 45 watt. This is needed to quick charge an iphone, a nintendo switch uses 27 and laptops are usually 30+. Giving up that only port looks really cool but I feel like will limit me. I will be sure to post on here when I find a good spot for mine or relocate the adapter. Don't plan on ever fully removing my controler since I plan on getting a camper and own a 6ft double axel trailer.

Question what kind of tools did you use to pop open the dash? I am always a little afraid when it comes to popping off plastic like that.

I'm not sure how much has changed in the JL and JT, but for what it's worth, in the JK, even without the tow package, you could tap a brake signal wire under the dash and use that as the input to the brake controller. Accessing it was a major PITA though. There's just no room under there and not much wire to work with. But it can be done. I ran a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller and it was fantastic.
This is how my Sienna is hooked up. I was actually looking if I could remove it from there and just plug it into the jeep, but due to the effort put into the wiring for that it would be easier to do a new install on the jeep.

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I use the USB as well, but on trips with the kids I have outdone what my Sienna can handle due to things like the Nintendo switch and an external display. One thing to keep in mind is it looks like the USB-C port for sure supports something like 15 watt quick charge, but I don't thing it supports the usb-pd standard for 18+ watts (need for full fast charge on an iphone). The new Note 10+ can actually do 45 watt. This is needed to quick charge an iphone, a nintendo switch uses 27 and laptops are usually 30+. Giving up that only port looks really cool but I feel like will limit me. I will be sure to post on here when I find a good spot for mine or relocate the adapter. Don't plan on ever fully removing my controler since I plan on getting a camper and own a 6ft double axel trailer.

Question what kind of tools did you use to pop open the dash? I am always a little afraid when it comes to popping off plastic like that.

This is how my Sienna is hooked up. I was actually looking if I could remove it from there and just plug it into the jeep, but due to the effort put into the wiring for that it would be easier to do a new install on the jeep.
I haven’t looked into the actual power number of those ports since the USB-C has been more than sufficient for my iPhone. For the kids Switch, we haven’t tried the USB-C on the back of the console yet, but right now my oldest has a combo 18W C/12W A brick he always carries and plugs it into the 110 outlet. As for removing the controller in mine, the only way I would do it is if the factory controller came out with some extra wizardry like the full size trucks have that show connection status and other info in the dash display. If it acts just like my Redarc I’ll probably not change at all.

For popping off the dash I have a set of plastic trim tools that can get behind the plastic and separate it enough to be able to pull it off afterwards. I bought them years ago at Harbor Freight and they’ve been a live saver in many situations.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
For those following the threads in the towing section, for months now FCA has said end of Q4 to beginning of Q1 for the factory controller. So, basically any day now we should see it available. I'm holding out for that option, as it'll integrate with the vehicle onboard computers better.

IF for some reason they still don't release it in the next 60 days, then I'll start looking at aftermarket options.

OP
OP

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I haven’t looked into the actual power number of those ports since the USB-C has been more than sufficient for my iPhone. For the kids Switch, we haven’t tried the USB-C on the back of the console yet, but right now my oldest has a combo 18W C/12W A brick he always carries and plugs it into the 110 outlet. As for removing the controller in mine, the only way I would do it is if the factory controller came out with some extra wizardry like the full size trucks have that show connection status and other info in the dash display. If it acts just like my Redarc I’ll probably not change at all.

For popping off the dash I have a set of plastic trim tools that can get behind the plastic and separate it enough to be able to pull it off afterwards. I bought them years ago at Harbor Freight and they’ve been a live saver in many situations.
Thanks for sure picking up a set of those at HF this weekend.

Curious if it is actually charging the switch while it is being used or just running it based on the output. Switching over to an S10 in a few days, I will make sure to do some measurements of the different USB ports when I get it. Wondering if the USB-C port especially is in spec or just there to look pretty.

For those following the threads in the towing section, for months now FCA has said end of Q4 to beginning of Q1 for the factory controller. So, basically any day now we should see it available. I'm holding out for that option, as it'll integrate with the vehicle onboard computers better.

IF for some reason they still don't release it in the next 60 days, then I'll start looking at aftermarket options.
Really like your videos and really respect your opinion and the amount of research and testing you do. Wish you uploaded more often ;)
You just sold me on waiting a little bit longer for the factory. Really like that it will integrate. Had no clue it was this close to being released. Guess I can get by for the next few months letting my Sienna do the towing a little bit longer while my truck sits there looking pretty.

If they don't release by March the Redarc will for sure be my choice.

Now to figure out a good place to relocate the 12volt plug to

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Thanks for sure picking up a set of those at HF this weekend.

Curious if it is actually charging the switch while it is being used or just running it based on the output. Switching over to an S10 in a few days, I will make sure to do some measurements of the different USB ports when I get it. Wondering if the USB-C port especially is in spec or just there to look pretty.

Really like your videos and really respect your opinion and the amount of research and testing you do. Wish you uploaded more often ;)
You just sold me on waiting a little bit longer for the factory. Really like that it will integrate. Had no clue it was this close to being released. Guess I can get by for the next few months letting my Sienna do the towing a little bit longer while my truck sits there looking pretty.

If they don't release by March the Redarc will for sure be my choice.

Now to figure out a good place to relocate the 12volt plug to
Thanks. Yep if the Mopar controller is not out by February, I'm going to install the Redarc unit too.