Sponsored

Brakes: Max Tow vs Rubicon

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
It seems many of the Max Tow items can be spec'd on the Rubicon. However, I'm wondering about the brakes. Is there difference between the front or rear brakes?

If they are bigger on the Max Tow, can a Rubicon be upgraded?

Do we know what brakes come on the Mojave?
Sponsored

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
There has been a debate on if there is a difference in the Rubicon and Max Tow brakes. Seems right now people have been leaning to them just having different pads (same everything else) as the OEM pad numbers appear different but nothing else. They may have put a pad on the Max Tow that is supposed to help with heat a little bit or something (doesn't sound like much of a big deal when it comes to brakes).

From what everyone says the Rubicon has everything as the max tow already - except it gets a lower tow rating because of greater weight and softer suspension. Problem is, even if you changed out the suspension on the Rubicon to match the max tow .... your car sticker would still say the Rubicon's original tow rating payload rating.

Pretty much if you get a Rubicon you have a very capable 7000/1160 or get a Max Tow and get the full 7650/1535 because stiffer suspension and less weight. The Rubicon weighs 5072 while the Max Sport is 4712. This helps the payload capacity on the Max Sport along with the suspension to better handle the weight.

So I guess answer is - if you get a Rubicon you pretty much legally have the 7000/1160 rating and thats where you will stay. I would say if you replaced the suspension you would probably be safe at 7300/1400 ... but you can't change the sticker.

Last edited:

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
Mohave has 6000/1200 rating because of the softer suspension so you wouldn't want to start with the Mojave (as the suspension changes are its big thing - you wouldn't want to replace).

OP
OP

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That has to be one of the most precise and articulate explanation I've seen for a reply in a while. Thank you so much for the details. That was exactly what I was looking for. This will indeed aid me in my decision on which model fits my needs.

Thank you,
Beowulf

OP
OP

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mohave has 6000/1200 rating because of the softer suspension so you wouldn't want to start with the Mojave (as the suspension changes are its big thing - you wouldn't want to replace).

This helps as well. I would like to keep the numbers high.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That has to be one of the most precise and articulate explanation I've seen for a reply in a while. Thank you so much for the details. That was exactly what I was looking for. This will indeed aid me in my decision on which model fits my needs.

Thank you,
Beowulf
With only about 500 lbs difference in both payload and tow weight, I'd just go ahead and get the Rubicon, since all else is identical (other than the brake pad material). Not to mention demand and resale value of the Rubicon will maintain a higher value over time...If you ever plan on selling it or trading-up for a new one down the road.

I have a buddy who went back-and-forth between MT and Rubicon, and so did his boss, and they've both been Jeep guys forever, and they both ended up getting Rubicons, like I did. I went ahead and got the Rubi because if I need to tow anything anywhere near the max towing capacity of the Gladiator, then I'll just hook it up to my 2500 Cummins and call it a day. I know not everyone has that luxury, or option, but that's the whole reason I never sold my Dodge after paying it off. I bought it new, it has low miles, runs perfect, and it's payed for, only costs me $40 a month (insurance) to let it sit in the driveway for when I need it/want to drive it. $40 a month to maintain something that will do exponentially more than any of my other vehicles when I need it to, is more than worth it, IMO. Everyone's priorities are different.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
so i believe if you pay more for a Rubicon then you get more trade in or sale for more , but if you pay less for a sport than you get less resale its a wash i've had both.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
There has been a debate on if there is a difference in the Rubicon and Max Tow brakes. Seems right now people have been leaning to them just having different pads (same everything else) as the OEM pad numbers appear different but nothing else. They may have put a pad on the Max Tow that is supposed to help with heat a little bit or something (doesn't sound like much of a big deal when it comes to brakes).

From what everyone says the Rubicon has everything as the max tow already - except it gets a lower tow rating because of greater weight and softer suspension. Problem is, even if you changed out the suspension on the Rubicon to match the max tow .... your car sticker would still say the Rubicon's original tow rating payload rating.

Pretty much if you get a Rubicon you have a very capable 7000/1160 or get a Max Tow and get the full 7650/1535 because stiffer suspension and less weight. The Rubicon weighs 5072 while the Max Sport is 4712. This helps the payload capacity on the Max Sport along with the suspension to better handle the weight.

So I guess answer is - if you get a Rubicon you pretty much legally have the 7000/1160 rating and thats where you will stay. I would say if you replaced the suspension you would probably be safe at 7300/1400 ... but you can't change the sticker.
Key point here though, the GVWR on the max tow and the Rubi are both 6,250lbs so if you go ham and fully redo the truck, you have the similarly weighted trucks and identical top limit from a payload perspective. The Rubicon might have slightly more weight from some of its options but as you pointed out, the stock kit is what makes up the difference in payload between the two.

Oddly enough, the spec sheet shows the basic Sport/Sport S are also a 6,250lb GVWR with the 6MT (5,800 like the rest with the 8AT) so I'm wondering if they get the tougher springs to get the high payload rating but the transmission can't handle the heavier tow.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
so i believe if you pay more for a Rubicon then you get more trade in or sale for more , but if you pay less for a sport than you get less resale its a wash i've had both.
On the Wrangler side, the Rubicon actually loses more value (as a percentage of MSRP) in the short and mid-term (or at any point if you trade in) but a clean Rubicon will hold its value better in the long term if you sell privately.

That said, if you buy a lower trim and modify it to get closer to the Rubicon, you get nearly nothing for the mods and would probably be better off getting the Rubi to start.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On the Wrangler side, the Rubicon actually loses more value (as a percentage of MSRP) in the short and mid-term (or at any point if you trade in) but a clean Rubicon will hold its value better in the long term if you sell privately.

That said, if you buy a lower trim and modify it to get closer to the Rubicon, you get nearly nothing for the mods and would probably be better off getting the Rubi to start.
That's exactly what I was trying to say. :like:

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
The lower tow rating on the Rubicon is due to the increased net weight and reduced ability to keep cool due to the larger tires (=lower effective gearing) and front skid plate. If you look at the gross combined weight rating, it's only a couple hundred pounds different due to the cooling.

I don't think there's a single bespoke part on the max tow - it's a parts bin special. They took the Rubicon axles (minus expensive lockers) and tow package and slapped it on a sport - a bunch of already existing parts - to make an economical option package that helps amortize the cost of the special Rubicon parts (axle housing castings aren't cheap) and give some eye popping numbers. Putting bespoke rear brakes only wouldn't make any sense. They'd just put them on the Rubicon too to give it maximum ability.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The lower tow rating on the Rubicon is due to the increased net weight and reduced ability to keep cool due to the larger tires (=lower effective gearing) and front skid plate. If you look at the gross combined weight rating, it's only a couple hundred pounds different due to the cooling.

I don't think there's a single bespoke part on the max tow - it's a parts bin special. They took the Rubicon axles (minus expensive lockers) and tow package and slapped it on a sport - a bunch of already existing parts - to make an economical option package that helps amortize the cost of the special Rubicon parts (axle housing castings aren't cheap) and give some eye popping numbers. Putting bespoke rear brakes only wouldn't make any sense. They'd just put them on the Rubicon too to give it maximum ability.
Actually, on my Rubicon (ordered with factory Class-IV tow package) is states specifically underneath, showing it is included with the Tow Package " * Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling" . So it maintains all the same oversized cooling abilities as the Max Tow has.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Actually, on my Rubicon (ordered with factory Class-IV tow package) is states specifically underneath with an * beside it... *Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling . So it maintains all the same oversized cooling abilities as the Max Tow has.
Yes, but the Rubicon has larger tires and a skid plate blocking some airflow under the bumper which reduces its ability to shed heat, so has a slightly lower gcwr despite the same cooling system. Like I said, there's nothing different or bespoke on the max tow, they used the Rubicon tow package cooling setup, which I believe is just a more powerful fan.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The max tow axle pumpkins do not have bosses for the electric locker connections, so the castings are different. The rear springs are unique, and there are some differences in the brakes (pads, maybe other parts). We don't know if there is only one upgraded cooling setup (fan motor, etc.) shared with the regular tow package.. The Rubi tires are significantly heaver, and their height also affects wind resistance, center of gravity, and effective gear ratio.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'll add that only if selling or trading at the dealership will you lose money on a upgraded sport. If you private sell a well built sport, similar to a Rubicon, you can get the close to the same value as a Rubicon or in my area you can. I've seen well built sports sell for the same as a Rubicon built similar. Most people buying Jeep's well built aren't caring so much about the interior luxuries. I'd say if get a sport, keep all your upgrade paperwork to prove what you have done to it and if your going to sell it, private sell it.

With that said not knocking a Rubicon at all. If your wanting all the extras immediately then go for the Rubicon, it's worth the money.
Sponsored