5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Who's got the best set up & why? Pics?

How well will the aux switches work? Workarounds, bugs or advice?

I'm looking at the front mounted Mopar set. idea being to light up only what's in front. Back & side will have to come from shell. I've seen some cool pics of those.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CbtEngr8591

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubi
Virginia law doesn't allow you to use any more than 4 forward facing lights at one time and definitely not anything over 42" or above the headlights. Oh and they need to be completely covered while the vehicle is on normal roads , rock guards don't count :headbang:. Ask me how I know....:stop:

Gunlovebirds1024

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Hooking up lights was not very hard. The Aux switches are set up to have leads by the battery and another set in the passenger foot area. There is a bolt that the ground can easily be connected too under the hood. Didn’t look for one under the dash. If you haven’t looked at the leads yet the orange and purple are AUX 3 and 4 and 15 amp I think with 14 gauge wire. AUX 1 and 2 are 12 gauge and higher amps. I like the switches; hook up was easier and clean look inside. Great not having to find a way through the firewall.

For the lights on the front bumper I ran the wires behind the corner of the grill and behind the big flimsy inside fender piece on the passenger side. There is two bolts that can be taken out and the piece flexed to allow good enough access. You don’t need to remove the plugs plastic holder things. Also ran the winch cable to the battery that way. There is a rectangle hole near the AUX switch leads there that made this easy.

C8D734CE-6CEE-4514-9D88-DBE7C518BA76.jpeg

The red bolts are the grounds. One on the right didn’t have anything on it. It’s hard to see the rectangle in the mid right part of the picture.

EEDBC273-07F0-4366-863F-9669D854DB84.jpeg

Picture of where I ran the wires from the bumper. To secure the wires behind the bumper I added some larger washers to the bolt inside the bumper. Not many zip tie points there.

The A pillar lights I ran the wires in a channel along the top of the firewall under the hood.

E432997C-5F3D-4478-8F3C-B93504A622F0.jpeg

The leads are in red. The wires along the top show where they come from the pillar lights.

I like the lights on the bumper under the bar. Put two 4” floods under a low height Warn grill guard tube. Lights are using the same holes from the plate I had to remove f I like the round lights low in relation to the head lights. Just a personal visual preference. Also two matching 4” spot lights on the A pillar. Guessing a bar flood above the windshield is best. My set up works for me. Always mounted lights there, no experience elsewhere.

7FAF0309-F1DD-447A-8CD2-87212278A810.jpeg

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hooking up lights was not very hard. The Aux switches are set up to have leads by the battery and another set in the passenger foot area. There is a bolt that the ground can easily be connected too under the hood. Didn’t look for one under the dash. If you haven’t looked at the leads yet the orange and purple are AUX 3 and 4 and 15 amp I think with 14 gauge wire. AUX 1 and 2 are 12 gauge and higher amps. I like the switches; hook up was easier and clean look inside. Great not having to find a way through the firewall.

For the lights on the front bumper I ran the wires behind the corner of the grill and behind the big flimsy inside fender piece on the passenger side. There is two bolts that can be taken out and the piece flexed to allow good enough access. You don’t need to remove the plugs plastic holder things. Also ran the winch cable to the battery that way. There is a rectangle hole near the AUX switch leads there that made this easy.

C8D734CE-6CEE-4514-9D88-DBE7C518BA76.jpeg

The red bolts are the grounds. One on the right didn’t have anything on it. It’s hard to see the rectangle in the mid right part of the picture.

EEDBC273-07F0-4366-863F-9669D854DB84.jpeg

Picture of where I ran the wires from the bumper. To secure the wires behind the bumper I added some larger washers to the bolt inside the bumper. Not many zip tie points there.

The A pillar lights I ran the wires in a channel along the top of the firewall under the hood.

E432997C-5F3D-4478-8F3C-B93504A622F0.jpeg

The leads are in red. The wires along the top show where they come from the pillar lights.

I like the lights on the bumper under the bar. Put two 4” floods under a low height Warn grill guard tube. Lights are using the same holes from the plate I had to remove f I like the round lights low in relation to the head lights. Just a personal visual preference. Also two matching 4” spot lights on the A pillar. Guessing a bar flood above the windshield is best. My set up works for me. Always mounted lights there, no experience elsewhere.

7FAF0309-F1DD-447A-8CD2-87212278A810.jpeg

Badass. Great bumper and winch setup. looks great. I like that it has everything it needs and nothing it doesn't, and those lights will project out from driver perfectly for trails. Nice work on the wiring!

Sponsored

Archie Bunker

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
footwell area? where are these at ? I looked and am not seeing them?

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I installed a 23 inch off road light on my winch bumper. I used aux one power drop under the hood, I also found a chassis ground next to aux power cable. The nut size is 10 mm. I also installed a go light on the roof rack. A power drop of the battery with the same chassis ground as my light. I used the in cab battery drop for my cb, after taking the glove box out i used the center bolt on the dash garnish as a ground, a nice clean install.

IMG_20190703_094059.jpg

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I installed a 23 inch off road light on my winch bumper. I used aux one power drop under the hood, I also found a chassis ground next to aux power cable. The nut size is 10 mm. I also installed a go light on the roof rack. A power drop of the battery with the same chassis ground as my light. I used the in cab battery drop for my cb, after taking the glove box out i used the center bolt on the dash garnish as a ground, a nice clean install.

IMG_20190703_094059.jpg
Noice... Looks like a real truck. A Jeep Truck. F'nA!!!

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Punk'n on order, 1965 Pontiac 2+2
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_20190703_094059.jpg
Can you post a picture of the CB installed. That sounds interesting, clean and quick.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

IMG_20190703_094059.jpg
I second the ask for a pic of the cb. I'm curious too about your removal of the glove box, is that where you installed it?

Sponsored

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I removed the glove box, the interface is about 2x3 inches, using a 90 degree cox adapter to install the antenna cox, I zipped tied the box to a.c. Duct work on the left side, a 10 inch 5 pin extension connector was used to help extend the microphone cable, power comes from the power in the 4 aux switch group, ground is the center bolt on the glove box. Pictures tomorrow.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I conjunction with a spot light thread, all off road lights must shine to the front, not to the sides, if pointed other than to the front, in Alabama fish and game will be in possession of your vehicle.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I conjunction with a spot light thread, all off road lights must shine to the front, not to the sides, if pointed other than to the front, in Alabama fish and game will be in possession of your vehicle.
So let’s just say I had a roof rack and it had two side area lights and a back up lamp mounted, in addition to the usual awnings, jack, axe and shovel etc, they could press a case that I’m out and about jacking deer and impound it? Don’t I need deer jacking utensils like rifles, leg slings, a sack of deer corn and a bushels of cut apples etc?

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would say in case cowboys question, I would guess as long as the lights were being used in a appropriate way and not moving in the middle of a hay field, or lighting up a trail visual acuity you would have no problem. Lights to side on a highway is a safety issue.
Sponsored