• Total voters

CheatyJeepy14

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
So, probably a classic question on here: buy the sport s with the tow package or just buy a rubicon. A rubicon definitely has a lot of cool extra features, but a big factor is tire size. By that, I mean with 37s you’ll likely have to re-gear anyway. So, why not just buy a sport s with max tow then use the money saved to add lockers, re-gear, sway bar disconnect, lift, tires, new flares, etc? Seeing anyone’s input to get plenty of opinions. I know there is a few arguments either way. Thanks!
Sponsored

KDR83

First Name
Krystian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
I wanted things that I could not get on the Sport S, like LED lights all the way around, Proximity Key and the 8.4 inch screen.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
I wanted things that I could not get on the Sport S, like LED lights all the way around, Proximity Key and the 8.4 inch screen.
Proximity key is probably one of the few things that would be extremely hard to add after the fact. At least you can always add LED lights and the 8.4" screen!

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
So, probably a classic question on here: buy the sport s with the tow package or just buy a rubicon. A rubicon definitely has a lot of cool extra features, but a big factor is tire size. By that, I mean with 37s you’ll likely have to re-gear anyway. So, why not just buy a sport s with max tow then use the money saved to add lockers, re-gear, sway bar disconnect, lift, tires, new flares, etc? Seeing anyone’s input to get plenty of opinions. I know there is a few arguments either way. Thanks!
If you plan to run 37s and regear, then I'd probably start with the Sport S. But the electronic swaybar disco and lockers will still be expensive to add after the fact. I've never needed my front locker, but I use my rear from time to time and I use my e-disco ALL the time. Just depends on your priorities.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
If you plan to run 37s and regear, then I'd probably start with the Sport S. But the electronic swaybar disco and lockers will still be expensive to add after the fact. I've never needed my front locker, but I use my rear from time to time and I use my e-disco ALL the time. Just depends on your priorities.
There's no guarantee that you'll need to re-gear on 37's with a rubi, although it would be a good idea. I figured that after adding everything, I was close to Rubi pricing and losing 500lbs in towing didn't make much of a difference to me, so I went rubi. Also a big fan of the hood/wheels that you get with the Rubi (even if you're replacing wheels, the takeoffs fetch a good buck when you sell them).

I would just budget out what your finished product would look like, how long it will take you to get there, and if you need all the creature comforts you would get by just buying bigger (like the screen and proximity).

Sponsored

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
For me, I built out the S with max tow. I can't get color matched fender. The difference is $3K. So, I look at the differences on the rubi with lockers disconnects. How much would that cost to install on the S. Selling wheels/tires will yield more money back on the Rubi. Selling rails and front bumper gets you money. After all of that, I think the out of pocket money to get them "equal" is close to the same (for the options that I want).
Factor in any warranty for the items you want.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
If you're going to run 37s, and wheel, you'll want to truss the axles and put in chromaly shafts, possibly sleeves, at which point you might as well regear while everything is pulled apart and do the labor once. 37s put a lot of stress on the axles.

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator
I will say this. If I were going to build a rig to wheel, I would start start with a sport, because I would put an Detroit LSD if the front axle, and a locker in the rear, I think that is more flexible than both locked - rigs don't turn worth a flip with the front locker engaged.

It's a hard question to answer because I don't know how you're going to wheel it.

OP
OP
CheatyJeepy14

CheatyJeepy14

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
So, this will be a daily driver that I will test a bit of the trail (have done many trails in Big Bear). I also pride myself on knowing when to say No to a line. I can have plenty of fun while also ensuring my Jeep isn’t wrecked. I expect to do a decent amount of rock crawling, but not enough to make it into a giant crawler with 40s.

I think the Rubicon sounds like the way to go. Just seems to make more economic sense while still getting the vehicle I want. Thanks for the input!

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I’ve done a million online builds and just don’t see it. By the time I option out the Sport with the items I want (well as best I can considering I can’t get all the ones I want on a Sport), I’m nearly at the price of a Rubicon. Yet the Rubicon comes with lockers, disconnects, rails...the list goes on.

The price delta at that point is a lower number than it would take for me to add the items I’m missing after the fact (and again, the best I can. I don’t think I could do the proximity feature for example). Now the Rubicon looks like a bargain.

The Jeep bean counters aren’t stupid. They did the tiered pricing for a reason.

Sponsored

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
The Max tow sport s vs my Rubicon was about $4500 difference. I sold my Rubi takeoffs for $1500. I have the 8.4" vs the 7". Hood, fenders, sliders, lockers (with warranty), seats, resale value, all factors in my decision.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I voted Max Tow because the Rubicon will always have 30% less payload capacity in the eyes of the law, regardless of what you do to either truck. And if you're buying a truck you should care about payload. If you don't care about payload then you should have bought a Wrangler. :like:

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I voted Max Tow because the Rubicon will always have 30% less payload capacity in the eyes of the law, regardless of what you do to either truck. And if you're buying a truck you should care about payload. If you don't care about payload then you should have bought a Wrangler. :like:
I came from a Wrangler(s), and every time I borrowed a truck, I never hauled over the payload of my Rubicon gladiator, so it's a perfect fit for me.

Weight was never the limiting factor for me when it came to hauling things in my wrangler, lol.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
I don't care about payload, I care about Plywood!!!! No, but in all seriousness, it's a mid sized truck. It's a great weekend warrior vehicle. gives me enough to warrant having it over an SUV as far as how much more you can use it for. If you care about payload, then you shouldn't really be all too concerned with mid-sized pickups. If you're trying to tow max payload, just go get a bigger truck.
Sponsored