Sponsored

BuiltRight vs Mopar bed rails

NOCOJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I am looking to purchase a set of rails for my Gladiator's bed. Searching through the forum I discovered the BuildRight option that I am leaning towards but I am wondering if there is any downside to the BuiltRight version over the Mopar version.

From what I can see, the BuildRight has only positives in any comparison to the Mopar option: same size so it should work with the same accessories as the Mopar, cheaper cost, plus the ability to use generic strut HW, and it doesn't use the nutserts that everyone complains about with the Mopar.

Seems like a no brainer to me to go with BuiltRight over Mopar, but is there anything I am not seeing / factoring in? Has anyone run into any accessories that work with the Mopar but not the BuiltRight? Has anyone been aware of both options but chose to go with the Mopar (If so, why?)?

Are there any other options to consider besides these 2?
Sponsored

studiodfw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Occupation
Photographer
Also interested in this topic...

bhadfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I am looking to purchase a set of rails for my Gladiator's bed. Searching through the forum I discovered the BuildRight option that I am leaning towards but I am wondering if there is any downside to the BuiltRight version over the Mopar version.

From what I can see, the BuildRight has only positives in any comparison to the Mopar option: same size so it should work with the same accessories as the Mopar, cheaper cost, plus the ability to use generic strut HW, and it doesn't use the nutserts that everyone complains about with the Mopar.

Seems like a no brainer to me to go with BuiltRight over Mopar, but is there anything I am not seeing / factoring in? Has anyone run into any accessories that work with the Mopar but not the BuiltRight? Has anyone been aware of both options but chose to go with the Mopar (If so, why?)?
I spent the last week or so going through the same process and just ordered the BuiltRight rails yesterday, happy to give first impressions when they arrive. I went with the BuiltRight because I couldn't find a downside, installation should be easier since you won't have to deal with the Nutsert and they are $130 cheaper than the Mopar kit. I also looked at the Rebel Offroad bed rails as an alternative to the Mopar kit (https://rebeloffroad.com/ROE-JT-BR3) but liked the BuiltRight a little better.

Supporting a vendor that supports the forums doesn't hurt either. Hope that's helpful.

Hog1450

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland, Rubicon axles and suspension
What size strut channel nuts are used? Just ordered some rails and want to order some channel nuts now so I can install and add stuff at once.

Sponsored

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow, Mazda Miata, Audi SQ5
Occupation
Motor-sports Event Manager
I'm curious to what advantages you saw with those options vs just using L-track? L-track has a bunch of different attachments available that are easy to install, remove or adjust.

Examples can be found here. This is what I'm leaning towards.

Hog1450

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland, Rubicon axles and suspension
The rail system is needed for the RLD topper I ordered....

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow, Mazda Miata, Audi SQ5
Occupation
Motor-sports Event Manager
Jeep Gladiator BuiltRight vs Mopar bed rails double-stud-fitting-w-bolt-thread.01
Jeep Gladiator BuiltRight vs Mopar bed rails L-track-double-lug-threaded-stud-fitting.01

These threaded fittings would seem to offer a lot of options to attach stuff to the L-track. Of course it's not just bolt in. Some engineering and modification would likely be necessary for things that are designed to use the OEM Trail Rail.

I like the ability to have some tie down points that are easy to move.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Couple other threads..
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/builtright-bedside-molle-rack-review.25084/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/builtright-industries-measurement-request.33227/

I don’t think I have anything bad to say about the BuiltRight, but might be better options depending on your needs. I might’ve goneL-trac route if I knew of that before.
probably would’ve gotten anything but Mopar just for cost, but I didn’t realize beforehand that The shallow unistrut of BuiltRight was wider than Mopar and normal bed rail cleats and they don’t fit. I like having options and I was disappointed I couldn’t try to use bed tie downs readily available.
Pretty easy ways around that and lots of unistrut or L-trac attachments available, so pick your poison.

thetruth1983

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
I tear down doors for a living
Does anyone have any more feedback to add to this? I'm looking at getting either the Built Right for $259 shipped or the Mopar for $293 shipped. From what I can tell, it doesn't look like the Built Right model comes with the 4 tie down points.

Sponsored

OP
OP

NOCOJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I went with the BuiltRight and no regrets so far. It shipped a week from ordering and install was easy. It does not come with tiedowns but I made some from unistrut hardware that is available locally through lowes/HD or various online sites.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Does anyone have any more feedback to add to this? I'm looking at getting either the Built Right for $259 shipped or the Mopar for $293 shipped. From what I can tell, it doesn't look like the Built Right model comes with the 4 tie down points.
For that price difference I’d probably get the Mopar... not to fault BuiltRight, but the only reason to get it vs Mopar is the price and that’s not much difference. If Mopar comes with the anchor points and builtright doesn’t then you’ll make that price difference back quickly.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I went to Home depot and booght a 12' chunk of unistrut, cut drilled, painted and installed. $50 done. Granted dont have the fancy end cap like builtright but he didn't have it out when i did mine.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I went to Home depot and booght a 12' chunk of unistrut, cut drilled, painted and installed. $50 done. Granted dont have the fancy end cap like builtright but he didn't have it out when i did mine.
I wonder if you had the part number you could order the end cap from an official set to put on yours.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
All the strut companies make end caps for their producte in white or black, just a soft plastic squre cap covering last inch of strut.
Sponsored