Sponsored

Bulkhead (top left and right side) threading missing?!!

JTM-Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
IT
Good day fellow JTers, I went to install a rugged ridge soft folding bed cover and the bulk head threading is missing on both sides of my bed?!?!
Anyone else have this issue? Just picked up my JT last week new off the lot... just my luck.

The instructions for the this cover and the mopar version shows that the lower hole is threaded??
I have a Mojave trim does that matter?

Jeep Gladiator Bulkhead (top left and right side) threading missing?!! 8D8506A4-C01E-41E6-9824-9AD5464F753A

Jeep Gladiator Bulkhead (top left and right side) threading missing?!! D0539826-B635-457E-9222-D98809E72065

Jeep Gladiator Bulkhead (top left and right side) threading missing?!! 6ACCDAF5-0DBE-46C9-9303-E2A0D90A7DED
Sponsored

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
Thatā€™s the first Iā€™ve seen. You could pop a nutsert in. I believe it is an M8 bolt. The more mods I do to my jeeps the more I find a use for a nutsert tool so it wouldnā€™t be a tool you would never use again.

OP
OP
JTM-Guy

JTM-Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
IT
Thatā€™s the first Iā€™ve seen. You could pop a nutsert in. I believe it is an M8 bolt. The more mods I do to my jeeps the more I find a use for a nutsert tool so it wouldnā€™t be a tool you would never use again.
Thanks for the idea. I am wondering if my car was built on a Monday or Friday, because I see videos on YouTube of people installing similar covers and the threading is definitely there, where they can bolt there cover frame/brackets to.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Should be easy to compare to any JTs on a nearby dealers lot.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Is that a factory bed liner or was it done after?

Go compare it to some other Mojave trucks on the lot. Either the factory screwed up, or the Mojave is done differently.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JTM-Guy

JTM-Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
IT
Is that a factory bed liner or was it done after?

Go compare it to some other Mojave trucks on the lot. Either the factory screwed up, or the Mojave is done differently.
Stopped by my local jeep dealer, looks like there is a change. I looked at their Mojave on the lot and it had the threading with circular holes - I looked at an overland, a sport, they also had threading. I looked at two Rubicons and the are both like mine, hex hole on top and circle hole on bottom with no threading all 5 jeeps had the spray in bed liner. For a second I thought I got a special edition "weight reduction" dune runner for sure :CWL: . I am in contact with the vendor of the bed cover, they are attentive and are researching for a solution.

Thanks everyone!

OP
OP
JTM-Guy

JTM-Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
IT
Same issue, trying to install a Rugged Ridge Tri fold soft cover and there are no threads.

In contacted rugged ridge with the phone number listed in
image.jpg

image.jpg
Same issue, trying to install a Rugged Ridge Tri fold soft cover and there are no threads.

Jeep Gladiator Bulkhead (top left and right side) threading missing?!! image

Jeep Gladiator Bulkhead (top left and right side) threading missing?!! image

What is your build date?

Also, give rugged ridge a call on the toll free number in the instructions manual and let them know.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
At first I was wondering if this was something installed when you got a factory installed bed cover but then that doesn't seem to follow, either. Wonder if it follows some other package or option, but it almost seems random with those that don't have the factory installed cover.

Haylowey

First Name
Hayley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
My build date is 8/2020. Itā€™s a Sport model with Altitude package. I sent an email to Rugged Ridge, Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll handle it. I have to drop by the dealer later this week and Iā€™ll look on the lot at the other 2020ā€™s left and see if they have any info too.

The other pre drilled holes for the rail system are fine. Itā€™s just these 4 where youā€™re mounting this cover bracket. Strange!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JTM-Guy

JTM-Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
IT
My build date is 8/2020. Itā€™s a Sport model with Altitude package. I sent an email to Rugged Ridge, Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll handle it. I have to drop by the dealer later this week and Iā€™ll look on the lot at the other 2020ā€™s left and see if they have any info too.

The other pre drilled holes for the rail system are fine. Itā€™s just these 4 where youā€™re mounting this cover bracket. Strange!
Thanks for replying - mine also has build date of 8-2020. Hmmmm... now Iā€™m wondering what the 2021 JTs bulkhead looks like.

I found two 2020 rubicons like ours on the lot at the local jeep dealership near me.

Rugged Ridge has been very attentive when I contacted them - so I am sure they will be on top of this because other bed attachments/accessories use those bulkhead threading as well.

jasunto

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Technical Implementation Engineer
Why is Mopar being shady as hell lately. These poor bumper manufacturers have like 4 types of factory LED fogs to keep track of, now this?

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
System Administrator
My 2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport also had no threads behind the bulk head holes. So I followed the advice here. I ordered a rivnut tool that came with M8 nutserts. The hole wasn't quite big enough for the nutsert, so I got a drill step bit to widen it just a little. The nutsert worked well for the tonneau cover I'm trying to install.
Mine was manufactured 9/26/2020 at 1pm.

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
Yep! I have the same problem. 08/2020 MFR date. I have the RR Armis Hard Folding and ran into the identical issue. I contacted RR and they are familiar with the problem and are trying to design a workaround for it. I heard a rumor they have one, but I would call their customer service to find out and report back. I called last October on this... but I never followed up because I came up with my own solution.

What I did was I found a matching nut and locking washer for the other side from the hardware store and just used that. It works fine and holds the tonneau cover just perfect. The other option is to use a rivet nut in that location which should suffice what they need.

FoxForce4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT HA
Just thought I'd make a note here, though it may be discussed in other threads- My 2021 doesn't have the threaded nuts. I got the Rugged Ridge Folding Armis hard cover directly from them and specified that I'd need whatever workaround they've figured out.

The 2021 kit comes with a pair of L shaped brackets that attach to the threaded holes for the front trail rails. If you have the trail rails on, the front one comes off, you place the bracket behind it and re-install the front trail rail, sandwiching the bracket between the front bulkhead of the bed and the rail, using the trail rail bolts.

The bracket is then fit on the outer side (bed side) of the side rail and fastened there, rather than at the front as it had been on the 2020, giving you an attachment up front similar to that at the rear of the rail; so rather than attaching at the front END of the rail, you're now attaching to the SIDE of the rail on a bracket that is built into the siderail. It appears to be that the 2020 siderails lack the anchor point to connect to the L bracket from install videos I've seen.

In any case- was super simple and is rock solid. I am probably doing a lousy job describing it, so maybe the summary is best: The "new attachment" 2021 version works just fine and appears it will work with both the 2020 and the 2021.

One other modest change appears to be that the back end brackets are no longer part of the side rail. There is now a small bracket for each side that attaches to the side rail and then to the holes under the piece of the plastic cap you need to remove to install the rails to the back part of the bed. I can see how this may be superior because it makes adjustment potentially easier, but for mine it fit very easily without much screwing around.
Sponsored