Sponsored

Bump Stops/Shock Extensions/Etc Needed for 1.5" Spacer Lift?

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Hey Everyone,

I have looked around the forum a bit but didn't find anything very conclusive regarding this question, so I thought I would ask in a new thread.

I have a Rubicon with 35's, no lift. I am looking at adding the Rock Krawler 1.5" Budget Boost; the product is just a set of spacers (1.5" front and back). It seems like it is not necessary to add aftermarket bump stops or stock extensions or anything else, but I can't tell for sure. Does anyone have any idea or any experience with a similar spacer lift on a Rubicon? Bonus for any photos of a Rubicon with 1.5" lift and 35's!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

fourlow78

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'77 J10, '20 Gladiator Rubicon, '62 Ford Fairlane
Vehicle Showcase
I just added a 1.5" spacer lift to the front (3/4" to the rear) of my otherwise stock Rubicon to compensate for the height I lost when I added a winch and steel bumper. I did not take measurements before the winch and bumper, but it was raked before and seemed to be more so after. More alarming, the stock Rubicon suspension is so soft up front that the extra weight had me on the front bump stops far too often just cruising through the neighborhood at 25 mph. I started with a simple 3/4" spacer up front, but that was not enough to keep me off the bump stops even though I was probably back close to stock height. A couple hundred offroad miles out in Moab over the Labor Day weekend is what prompted me to try a little more height. The 1.5" spacer kit included shock extensions for the front and I installed them, but I have already taken them off. Since I am not a full 1.5" over stock, maybe only 3/4" over stock, the stock shocks would bottom out before I hit the bump stops. Just too long fully compressed for the upward travel of the axle with the extensions installed. I have not added any additional bump stop extensions, nor will I since I'm still running 33" tires and want to keep my overall axle travel. Sadly, without the shock extensions, the stock shocks are now grossly limiting the axle droop. I have new shocks on order, hopefully to address that issue.

So for you, with no additional weight up front (yet), if the 35's aren't rubbing anywhere, then I can't see why you would need the bump stop extensions. Same thing out back. If you aren't rubbing with that topper and those 35's then you shouldn't need them. However, your factory shocks will be the limiting factor on the axle droop even with that mild 1.5" lift. The shock extensions may be worth it for you, BUT ONLY IF you truly get 1.5" over factory height. Only way to know for sure is to add the lift and cycle the suspension without the shocks and check your full stuff measurement against your collapsed shock measurement, and your full droop measurement against the extended shock measurement.

One last thing. I can see that my axle is not centered even with just that tiny amount of lift. An adjustable track bar may be in my future. With more lift you'll likely want one too.

OP
OP
PhantomChameleon

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I just added a 1.5" spacer lift to the front (3/4" to the rear) of my otherwise stock Rubicon to compensate for the height I lost when I added a winch and steel bumper. I did not take measurements before the winch and bumper, but it was raked before and seemed to be more so after. More alarming, the stock Rubicon suspension is so soft up front that the extra weight had me on the front bump stops far too often just cruising through the neighborhood at 25 mph. I started with a simple 3/4" spacer up front, but that was not enough to keep me off the bump stops even though I was probably back close to stock height. A couple hundred offroad miles out in Moab over the Labor Day weekend is what prompted me to try a little more height. The 1.5" spacer kit included shock extensions for the front and I installed them, but I have already taken them off. Since I am not a full 1.5" over stock, maybe only 3/4" over stock, the stock shocks would bottom out before I hit the bump stops. Just too long fully compressed for the upward travel of the axle with the extensions installed. I have not added any additional bump stop extensions, nor will I since I'm still running 33" tires and want to keep my overall axle travel. Sadly, without the shock extensions, the stock shocks are now grossly limiting the axle droop. I have new shocks on order, hopefully to address that issue.

So for you, with no additional weight up front (yet), if the 35's aren't rubbing anywhere, then I can't see why you would need the bump stop extensions. Same thing out back. If you aren't rubbing with that topper and those 35's then you shouldn't need them. However, your factory shocks will be the limiting factor on the axle droop even with that mild 1.5" lift. The shock extensions may be worth it for you, BUT ONLY IF you truly get 1.5" over factory height. Only way to know for sure is to add the lift and cycle the suspension without the shocks and check your full stuff measurement against your collapsed shock measurement, and your full droop measurement against the extended shock measurement.

One last thing. I can see that my axle is not centered even with just that tiny amount of lift. An adjustable track bar may be in my future. With more lift you'll likely want one too.
Awesome info! Thanks for taking the time to share.

I actually have decided to forgo the spacers and just get a full lift kit (springs, shocks, etc). I had wanted to do a full lift anyways, but had considered just doing spacers for now and maybe the full lift when I need to replace my tires (and decide if I want to keep 35s or go 37s). It seems like even with the spacers though, to do it right you need to do a few more things other than just throw them on, so I'm just going to do the full lift off the bat and not spend money on the in between step.

Thanks again!

fourlow78

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'77 J10, '20 Gladiator Rubicon, '62 Ford Fairlane
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome info! Thanks for taking the time to share.

I actually have decided to forgo the spacers and just get a full lift kit (springs, shocks, etc). I had wanted to do a full lift anyways, but had considered just doing spacers for now and maybe the full lift when I need to replace my tires (and decide if I want to keep 35s or go 37s). It seems like even with the spacers though, to do it right you need to do a few more things other than just throw them on, so I'm just going to do the full lift off the bat and not spend money on the in between step.

Thanks again!
Which lift did you decide on? I've looked at them all and honestly, I'd love to have the stock Mojave setup on my Rubicon. Just a little lift, but high performance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PhantomChameleon

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Which lift did you decide on? I've looked at them all and honestly, I'd love to have the stock Mojave setup on my Rubicon. Just a little lift, but high performance.
Yeah I wish there was a high performance 1.5in kit...I think Skyjacker is the only company offering that right now and the quality is a bit iffy.

I'm leaning towards doing the Mopar 2in kit with some additions to make it more complete, or the 2.5" Icon stage 4 kit.

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Short answer, no, you don't need bump stop extensions.

Running 35s on my rubicon with aggressive wheels offset 17x9 -12. Front is 1.5 teraflex and 3/4 daystar puck in rear. No bump stops, stock sway bar links. Granted I am not aggressively wheeling, but couple of times I took out in the local woods, max flex did not result in any rubbing.

I have changed out the stock rubicon shocks for a fox 2.0. Big improvement and that softness in the suspension is gone. I did try Falcon 2.1 shocks before Foxes and they were little too stiff for my taste. Thats with stock spings, I can't imagine what that ride is going to be with Clayton or ICON springs and falcons??

There are some things that I am changing though. I luv the FOX 2.0 shocks, I think that's how Gladiator should have been set up from. the factory. I just ordered Mopar kit ala carte without the shocks. BAM wholesale has all parts needed and without the shocks and shipping it was about $650.

I wanted two inch lift all around, retain factory ride and my options were AEV, Mopar or Daystar. With two inch lift I wanted bumpstops extensions and sway longer sway bar links. My shocks are made for 0-1.5 inch lift, so I shouldn't have any issues. And perhaps in the future, I will change out for some adjustable shocks.

Daystar - spacer quality is excellent, but bushings are crap. AEV is top notch, but need a front control arm bracket with is an additional $300. So "make my own" mopar kit was the best option for me. And I can use my spacers to fine tune things in the future.
Sponsored