Sponsored

Bumper Width: Pros & Cons

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
So I had my mind made up on a stubby bumper but the more I look the less sure I am. I know there are a dozen threads showing different bumpers. Asthetics aside I am wondering what the pros and cons are of the different width bumpers: Full, Mid, Stubby.
Currently I have a factory Sport plastic bumper. With my lift and tires, I have no clearance issues with the bumper so thats not part of my decision making. Ideally I want a low winch mount, shackle tabs, integrated skid plate, fog light cut outs, grill hoop. It seems to get the light cutouts and a low winch plate the stubby width is off the table simply because there isnt enough room for both between the frame rails. Some of the mid width options check the boxes but are they really just the worst of both worlds, leaving the full width as the best option? I dont know. I welcome thoughts.
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I actually like the Mopar Steel Bumper short version and also taking a liking to the Argus Stubby I believe its called. I just wish I could find a Mopar Steel Front take off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I've been tossing around a similar idea for a new bumper that can house a winch in a low profile below the grille. A bull bar isn't really anything I want, but I wouldn't be opposed. I do want a skid plate and mountable foglights.

I have been thinking about the Rugged Ridge Venator with a Smittybilt X20 COMP winch.

I won't be a rock crawler, but overloading and beach driving will happen. My only concern is making sure my 35's with no lift don't rub on the Venator's full width bumper. This thread on the JL forum suggested it might be fine as far as potential rubbing is concerned.

I also just like the aesthetics of the Venator. Not for everyone, but to me it looks more like something designed with the truck in mind, as opposed to a traditional aftermarket bumper that looks more like simple tube and plate welding.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Rugged Ridge HD.. Low winch, Fog lights & shackle mounts.. In hindsight though the fogs are such complete trash I would of bought something without the fog light cutouts.

Jeep Gladiator Bumper Width: Pros & Cons 100806504_10158622638436458_6235191185393057792_o

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Rugged Ridge HD.. Low winch, Fog lights & shackle mounts.. In hindsight though the fogs are such complete trash I would of bought something without the fog light cutouts.

Jeep Gladiator Bumper Width: Pros & Cons 100806504_10158622638436458_6235191185393057792_o
Did The bumper use the factory fog lights and just have crappy mounting hardware?

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Did The bumper use the factory fog lights and just have crappy mounting hardware?
Yes factory fog lights, Yes crappy mounting hardware. Even on the original plastic bumper though the fog lights were all but useless.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I am not looking to reuse the crappy facotry fogs. I would actually prefer cube cutouts but I will find a decent round light if that what the bumper comes with. The factory ones arent messing with.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
After a lot of consideration I ordered the Motobilt Crusher. Low mount winch stubby, you need to add your own fogs, but that seems better than other fog options anyhow. Waiting for delivery, comes bare, you paint.

Jeep Gladiator Bumper Width: Pros & Cons 1601262282918

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I ended up going RR Arcus stubby. I had a few reasons, wanted winch to mount in the bumper. I was actually able to exceed that by getting the soliniod in there too. Secondly was I wanted to keep weight down since I need to payload for towing. This bumper overall was pretty light. All the full width ones were just to heavy to justify. 3rd was I wanted to use the rubicon skid plate. Almost none of the ones on the market allowed for me to keep that except for this one. Really happy with it.

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Teacher-Retired Firefighter

Jeep Gladiator Bumper Width: Pros & Cons 1601262282918
Did you have led fogs? Mine (led) put a lot of light right in front