Sponsored

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
In all seriousness, i hope everyone was okay. If it was the clutch, i hope they really do make an effort to actually find out whats causing this. I guess we all should have a fire extinguisher at this point.

LittleFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator and a lot of other toys...
Occupation
Realtor
Trailer brakes not working or not set up? (oddly, these trucks have no brake controller included with the tow package...). If the driver was hitting HWY Speeds and braking with that much weight (with no trailer brakes), they'd get insanely hot really quick! Looking at the photo (it's not clear enough to really tell) there does not appear to be any stabilizer bars between the truck and trailer. I don't know anybody that would pull that much weight with this small of a truck and not have stabilizers in place. If this person is willing to tow without stabilizer bars, odds are, the trailer brakes may not be set up either.

gpwrang33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ 2021 Hydro Blue JTSS MAX TOW
Didn't someone towing with their JT say they caught fire because of the starter? I remember it was a Hydro Blue JT but they had a fire extinguisher so they got lucky. It was over a month ago and it ruined their vacation.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
In all seriousness, i hope everyone was okay. If it was the clutch, i hope they really do make an effort to actually find out whats causing this. I guess we all should have a fire extinguisher at this point.
They had to design the clutch for the wimpy legged snowflake that seems to be every where these days.

Sponsored

hivol13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow)
i wonder why, it’s harder than hell to start a diesel fire. Stuff just doesn’t burn well like gasoline.
Diesel has to be preheated to release vapors that are ignitable unlike gasoline. Generally over 100 degrees. Plenty of places under the hood to preheat the fuel.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I am going with electric. The fire appears to have started pretty far forward and worked it's way back. If it had started at the clutch, I would think that there would be more damage to the rear of the cab etc..
I have also never seen a clutch catch fire. Explode, disintegrate, smoke, yes; catch fire no. I am not saying it can't happen, just not very likely.
(35 years of racing, 20 years of trucking)

Let's blame ESS.

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
I'm betting he wanted a manual, the salesman told him it had the tow package, he assumed that met he had the max tow and away he went.
Seriously, I knew what I was getting when I bought (6MT with tow package, 4000# capacity). This came up in conversation with the salesman at one point and he tells me, “No, just because it’s manual the tow capacity doesn’t drop that much.” At that point I decided it wasn’t worth discussing further. I was shocked how uninformed he was about the vehicle he was selling.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
i wonder why, it’s harder than hell to start a diesel fire. Stuff just doesn’t burn well like gasoline.
Because while diesel fuel isn't AS combustable as gasoline, it's still highly flammable, it's under extreme pressure (30,000 PSI), and there is a lot more heat in a diesel engine (that's the principle they work upon afterall). Plus you've got DPF, SCR, EGR, and all that garbage on them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Trailer brakes not working or not set up? (oddly, these trucks have no brake controller included with the tow package...). If the driver was hitting HWY Speeds and braking with that much weight (with no trailer brakes), they'd get insanely hot really quick! Looking at the photo (it's not clear enough to really tell) there does not appear to be any stabilizer bars between the truck and trailer. I don't know anybody that would pull that much weight with this small of a truck and not have stabilizers in place. If this person is willing to tow without stabilizer bars, odds are, the trailer brakes may not be set up either.
At this location, he came down a decline for some distance, probably a couple kms at least. When I leave for work today I’ll mark the spot and drive up the hill to see how far it is to the top. The engine would have certainly been cooling all that distance till the fire.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Not directly related to the OP, but to what you said - there have been people come into the forum with Overland and Rubicon and suggest that because the tow package is there "I have max tow".
That term has been tossed around a lot and very misunderstood.
There's no tow packages, tow package, then max tow............and the sad part is a lot of that can be blamed on the sales people.
I've had my Sport S max tow since 2019 and I've watch time and time again as folks get a Gladiator and don't know or assume it is a max tow because of the tow package, that consisted of a receiver and electric plug and not much else, being listed sticker or the salesman telling them it has "the tow package". Don't ever believe a salesman.

RTDNECO

First Name
Artie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
There is a short video on YT. Not sure on who uploaded it (owner or someone else):

2TH MVR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD. Audi A7, Alfa Romeo 4C
Occupation
Orthodontist
Looks like possibly an Ecodiesel badge lower left side, but there appears to be a 2nd badge (same size) lower right side. My JTRD does not have a badge on the lower right side. Maybe a dealership badge?
Sponsored