Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but his equation would have been right if the velocity was a square function and there was some constant applied to get the unit values where they need to be.

Right?
Papa's equation was right; he did have velocity squared (u^2). (See below- I don't know how to do superscript here)

If you work in metric, it is straightforward and you end up with kg x m/sec^2 (mass x acceleration,) which = Force (Newtons.) If you work in English units and you use slugs (nobody does) it is also straightforward, but if not, then you have to convert lbm to slugs using the gravitational constant.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator on fire, burned to the ground… FD-1
Sponsored

heftysmurf

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
We sound like claims agents figuring out how we aren’t paying out.
But seriously, I am considering pulling my first trailer and all this info is new to me. Very much enjoyed reading the science even though most of it goes over my head.
I wish the survivor of this tragic event well and hope it all goes in his favour!

Very much so -- and yeah, I dig the info for towing and have concluded I'll only tow a 100lb trailer with my kayaks.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Very much so -- and yeah, I dig the info for towing and have concluded I'll only tow a 100lb trailer with my kayaks.
Your kayaks will then weigh heavier than the trailer and you’ll be top heavy. OMG, more math formulas to show being top heavy with a cross winds etc etc…

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
With no loss of life, I don't think anyone (insurance company, NHTSA, Jeep) will bother investigating the exact root cause.
Ya maybe so…but we will! Drove by the inferno site. There’s a good 5’ circle burn by at least an inch deep in the asphalt.

Sponsored

gpwrang33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ 2021 Hydro Blue JTSS MAX TOW
Don't forget to add the gravitational pull of the moon on the 4th, 15th, and 28th day of the month into you calculations.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
It's crazy that a towing rating isn't a rating anymore. Well it's 6000 pounds but please enter the frontal area of the trailer, the temp, the elevation , and day of the week into this equation to determine today's towing capacity lol

When they design for, and specify a max GTW, they must be considering some maximum uphill grade you might encounter (for an assumed amt of time and speed) which is when GTW has the most profound load on the truck. I wonder if, in real life, that gradiant is ever exceeded by a significant amount?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ratings are different now because they are real. It became an advertising war. Sure that monstrous full sized pickup could tow 20k lbs on the flat. But the second you went up hill it overheated.

Now there is a standard with a protocol. The incline is the same, the trailer size is the same, the temp is the same.

Its SAE standard J2807.

Google it and read and you will know more about it than all of us.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Papa's equation was right; he did have velocity squared (u^2). (See below- I don't know how to do superscript here)

If you work in metric, it is straightforward and you end up with kg x m/sec^2 (mass x acceleration,) which = Force (Newtons.) If you work in English units and you use slugs (nobody does) it is also straightforward, but if not, then you have to convert lbm to slugs using the gravitational constant.

That's why I use a fancy editor and use snippet tool to take pics. A lot easier than the "Alt+xxxx" method. ;-) I'll do the "registered trade mark" via keyboard, but I can never remember the correct key sequence.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
With no loss of life, I don't think anyone (insurance company, NHTSA, Jeep) will bother investigating the exact root cause.
In my experience, the insurance company will send an investigator - they want to recoup their loss. If there was something done at a dealership that resulted in this, they want to know - they'll go get their money. If there was negligence, someone did something above and beyond specs, they'll want to know. They'll recover their loss if at all possible. Sad to say as we know the owner as a forum member, but if that rig was over payload or towing capacity - well........ insurance may fight payout. (that's one of the things the Iowa DOT sergeant touched upon as reasons to stay within limits)
It's all going to depend on the company, the circumstance and things we can't even dream of in the end (unless a member here is an insurance company attorney)

I had a little "boo-boo" decades ago. My insurance paid medical, loss of wages, paid for my car and more - and then they sat with my attorney in court to recover their money from the root cause of the accident...........

There's so many "what ifs" and "it depends" and "maybe" here that all we're doing for pages is speculating,

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

maligator

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD Willys 2021 Hyundai Veloster N DCT
Occupation
Programmer
The ratings are different now because they are real. It became an advertising war. Sure that monstrous full sized pickup could tow 20k lbs on the flat. But the second you went up hill it overheated.

Now there is a standard with a protocol. The incline is the same, the trailer size is the same, the temp is the same.

Its SAE standard J2807.

Google it and read and you will know more about it than all of us.
See I feel that the ratings are real using the standard in that companies needed a way to quantify how much they can push the towing number while skirting liability. I traded my 2018 F150 (2.7L) for this jeep. Although I have a diesel, The max tow Glad has the same tow rating as my F150 did but I would feel way more confident in the F150's ability to actually pull that.

Another problem specifically with jeep is that part of that towing standard is the davis dam test in Arizona when over 100 degrees out.

Jeep struggled to cool the diesel gladiator (not sure if that is the issue). The problem is people are most likely to be pulling near max capacity when they go on vacation. Jeep people tend to go to places in higher elevation on vacation (Colorado, Moab UT, and so on). Davis dam is 600 ft elevation but people are going to be pulling in Colorado at 100f, on similar or worse grades, >=10000 ft elevation.

I know ford says to adjust decrease GVWs and GCWs 2% per 1000 feet for the F150 (8% in Calgary) I wonder if this the same relevant or worse for the gladiator given it's problems cooling.

Obviously there are other concerns with the frontal/area.

Either way, the truck didn't derate, so I assume this problem wasn't specifically related to cooling. I am not sure what other problems he could have caused by towing more than recommended that would have been the cause of this unless it was his brakes or something

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)