Buying a Gladiator in Minnesota

Chip Laingen

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Liberty
I hope to purchase a Jeep Gladiator this spring, in the Twin Cities... anyone know the best route to go and when they might show up? The dealer in White Bear Lake says they have no word from Jeep at all, about anything. Seems odd, and I hate to just sit and wait until I see one on the lot.
Sponsored

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of dealers are in the dark. I've talked to at least 15 in and around OKC. Most know nothing.

Been offered a Ram more times than I care to count.

There is a map, somewhere, JL forum maybe about dealers offering good prices on the JL's.

It could be a place to start.

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
So far no one had specific ship dates other than Q2. The allocated Gladiators will start showing up prior to custom orders.

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
Well than allocate one to yourself!

Start bringing donuts to the sales manger.

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Or just monitor the forum and news. I am sure your dealers that are in the dark will no more by the time order banks open. Not everyone, even those whose business it is, are as nerdy as forum members. Just because your dealer doesn't seem to know much now does not mean much. Keep in mind Jeep has not released price to anyone and the media hasn't even driven or perhaps been allowed to publish their articles about their drive experience.

This is like getting made at Alabama or Clemson football organization for not knowing who will be there starting QB in the fall off 2020, they are focused on the the National Championship game next week.

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
Personally id wait til they show up on lots. The best way to get deals on a vehicle is to buy whats on their lot. when you start wanting something not on the lot theres less wiggle room on price.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Personally id wait til they show up on lots. The best way to get deals on a vehicle is to buy whats on their lot. when you start wanting something not on the lot theres less wiggle room on price.

That is a true statement if they are doing a dealer trade for you chosen options, however if you are ordering from the factory that is not true as those orders don't affect the dealers allotment.

Gambrinus

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Land Rover Dormobile 200tdi
Watch for the "Big Dogs" to get fed first. I know that in my area the HUGE Jeep Dealer had JLs on the lot a week or 2 weeks? Before the smaller dealer.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
This is totally incorrect. Many dealers offer bigger discounts on orders vs. in stock vehicles.

Sponsored

Gambrinus

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Land Rover Dormobile 200tdi
Watch for the "Big Dogs" to get fed first. I know that in my area the HUGE Jeep Dealer had JLs on the lot a week or 2 weeks? Before the smaller dealer.
I should have added that this dealer also took in a TON of late JKs... as in many truck loads... easily 50+ JKs after the JLs were starting to trickle in. So I wonder if that was part of the bargain.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I watched the launch of the JL like a crazy person. The 1st one on the lot landed in Michigan. Somehow the next 6 showed up in my town at a fairly small operation. A few day after that they started popping up all over the place.

This is just what I seen from watching one launch. When they are close to shipping you can track what JT and what dealer it is going. You can see if they are in delivery or on the lot. It was very accurate from what I seen.

When that time comes I'm sure there will be a thread following the 1st JT to hit the lots. I had a good time following the JL thread and I knew I was holding off for the JT.

Another thing I noticed is that a lot of the 1st ones on the lots where customer orders.

Lanyard

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
I hope to purchase a Jeep Gladiator this spring, in the Twin Cities... anyone know the best route to go and
Chip, Fellow Minnesotan. In researching this and other vehicles over the years I've not been impressed with MN as a "value" state. The map provided shows our ONE best dealer is 3%, while in Iowa, it's 5%. Add to it we have 6.5% sales tax on the vehicle and Iowa has 5% "registration fee", which is their sales/lease tax. So, the net effect is 3.5% lower cost in Iowa than MN.

If you were to run down and purchase in Iowa, MN would charge the extra 1.5% when you got back, so you'd still save 2% over the MN dealer. On a Rubicon that might be a >$1k savings off invoice, then the associated savings on the tax, less on a Sport or Sport S, but still significant....

$40,000 invoice
@ 3% discount = $38,800 + 6.5% sales tax ($2,522) = $41,322

@ 5% discount = $38,000 + 6.5% sales tax ($2,470) = $40,470

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Nobody has info yet because Jeep doesn't even have info yet. They're still bidding out jobs to parts suppliers.

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
This is totally incorrect. Many dealers offer bigger discounts on orders vs. in stock vehicles.
This is not the 1970s there is no such thing as "ordering" a vehicle unless you're talking about an ultra luxury or super car. Manufacturers do not accept customer orders. Dealers have allotments and they are able to pick and choose from that to what goes to each of their locations based on sales. If they dont have what you want in their allotment they will do trades with other dealerships to get what you want. If you think that you're ordering a vehicle and that order is going to the factory with your name on it and choses options and they are going to build that for you then you are mistaken. I wish things were still like that but unfortunately thats no longer how things work.
Sponsored