Sponsored

Buying a used JTR from Canada?

JeepNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I've been looking at the Gladiators for some time now and was close to ordering a new one but came across a "used" one.
The truck was originally shipped to a dealer in Canada on 5/2019 but was never registered until 8/2020. It's a 2020 GTR with 912 miles and pretty much loaded up. The CarFax came back clean but its showing one owner. Not sure how that could be, it appears it sat on a lot for 15 months, was registered and sold within a month then ended up back in the states. According to the CarFax, it went through Michigan and is now for sale in Pa.

Are there any issues with buying a vehicle from across the border?

What questions should I be asking the dealer?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I've read that the USA warranty wouldn't be good on a vehicle like you're talking about. That didn't make any sense to me though and I've never verified it one way or another. You might ask the dealer to clarify.

Later,
Johnny

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking at the Gladiators for some time now and was close to ordering a new one but came across a "used" one.
The truck was originally shipped to a dealer in Canada on 5/2019 but was never registered until 8/2020. It's a 2020 GTR with 912 miles and pretty much loaded up. The CarFax came back clean but its showing one owner. Not sure how that could be, it appears it sat on a lot for 15 months, was registered and sold within a month then ended up back in the states. According to the CarFax, it went through Michigan and is now for sale in Pa.

What questions should I be asking the dealer?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
There's was a post on here a few weeks ago from someone who purchased a Canadian made JT. There is a definite issue with warranty coverage. I would not buy it and expect to get standard dealer support, since it was not produced for sale in this country.

OP
OP

JeepNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I've read that the USA warranty wouldn't be good on a vehicle like you're talking about. That didn't make any sense to me though and I've never verified it one way or another. You might ask the dealer to clarify.

Later,
Johnny
There's was a post on here a few weeks ago from someone who purchased a Canadian made JT. There is a definite issue with warranty coverage. I would not buy it and expect to get standard dealer support, since it was not produced for sale in this country.
Thanks for the replies, I'll look into the warranty coverage issues.

Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
There should be no issue with warranty coverage.
If I buy a Jeep in the US the Canadian dealer network must honour the warranty, and that is confirmed by 2 dealers here. The same must apply to vehicles from either country because they are built to the same spec - well, possibly with exception of California. (Joking)
Check with FCA warranty department an I’m pretty sure you will be covered.
Sponsored