Sponsored

Buying in California isn't easy!

intofx

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland - North Edition, 2017 Fiat 500e, 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 1969 Meyers Tow'd
I'm sure most of you California residents have experienced the ridiculous bait and switch tactics of SoCal dealerships. I spent over a week arguing that I was not going to pay $4500 for wheel locks and nitrogen filled tires just so the dealership could offset their ADVERTISED discounts. I could write a book with the list of dealerships to immediately avoid. Ultimately, I bought my Gladiator Overland North Edition at Shaver in Thousand Oaks because they did not charge me anything additional other than window etching... ( I conceded since they were willing to deal and had a nicely optioned Overland on their lot and ultimately, I got another $500 off which more than offset the price of "window etching".) That said, I wanted to give MAJOR props to Robert Trachtman at Coastline in San Juan Capistrano for not playing games and discussing ordering a truck for me. His prices were VERY fair with NO ADDENDUM. If not for the uncertainties of the COVID situation and Shaver having a truck I wanted on the ground with NO ADDED DEALERSHIP BS, I would have ordered from him in a heartbeat. If you are looking for a fair deal in California, hit him up and don't bother with the guys trying to sell you tire air for $4500.... My $0.02.

Matt
Sponsored

Jon Nelson

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Thanks Matt for posting this

I’ve been on the face as a So Cal buyer because I just don’t have time to deal with the purchase process. Thanks to you I now have two dealerships to shop.

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
I had awful experiences with a handful of SoCal dealers, same $4500 add on after a bait n switch, and other unsavory sales tactics, Huntington Beach was by far the worst, but the others were right up there. I ended up driving three hours up to Jim Manning Jeep in Dinuba after all of my paperwork was done on phone, text, online and overnight mail, Jeep was ready to go when I got there, lift installed, clean and beautiful. Eli was fantastic. Price was exactly what was listed on their website, no add ons, no lie cheat and steal a deal! Would buy from them again in a minute!
I’d tell you how great the deal is, but don’t want anyone to feel bad! LOVE this JT!!

gsxr310

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR & JTR
Rob is the man in SoCal! I think he’s a board member here! Anyways, I bought my JL and my JT from him!! Everything was done via email, txt, and phone. Once I arrived at the dealer, I spent 10min signing paperwork. The process w Rob is excellent!!

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Geez. Up here they're giving them away. Over Memorial Day there was $9k advertised on certain models. I ended up with $7k off on the one we chose. They even used a dealer coupon to offset most of the cost of going to 72/70,000 warranty.

Very different up in NorCal.

Sponsored

gsxr310

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR & JTR
Geez. Up here they're giving them away. Over Memorial Day there was $9k advertised on certain models. I ended up with $7k off on the one we chose. They even used a dealer coupon to offset most of the cost of going to 72/70,000 warranty.

Very different up in NorCal.
Who was your dealer and rep?

LeftCoast32

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sting Grey
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased from Bob Baker in Carlsbad. It may take a little negotiating but they will sell without any dealer add-ons. I got mine when there were no incentives and I paid 1% under invoice with no add-ons.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Who was your dealer and rep?
Boardwalk Jeep. Normandin tends to have better prices but I wasn't really looking forward to driving all the way down there if it was going to become a hassle. Not with a kid and covid and Memorial Day. So we just went to the local one where we have already bought a VW

Our salesman was quite green, the manager handled most of it.

dh650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
Boardwalk Jeep. Normandin tends to have better prices but I wasn't really looking forward to driving all the way down there if it was going to become a hassle. Not with a kid and covid and Memorial Day. So we just went to the local one where we have already bought a VW

Our salesman was quite green, the manager handled most of it.
Very interesting to read your post. I live in Redwood Shores literally 10 minutes from Boardwalk, and was thinking of heading over for a test drive on an Overland. I've always found them very unwilling to deal in the past, but I have a feeling with all of their inventory it might be a different story now. Agree on Normandin as they post pretty good prices but for those of us here on the peninsula sometimes a drive down to San Jose isn't always easy. We bought a Cherokee for our son back in January from Walnut Creek and they were fantastic. Great price, willing to deal and they treated us like kings and we were in and out in under an hour with all paperwork and trade evaluations.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Very interesting to read your post. I live in Redwood Shores literally 10 minutes from Boardwalk, and was thinking of heading over for a test drive on an Overland. I've always found them very unwilling to deal in the past, but I have a feeling with all of their inventory it might be a different story now. Agree on Normandin as they post pretty good prices but for those of us here on the peninsula sometimes a drive down to San Jose isn't always easy. We bought a Cherokee for our son back in January from Walnut Creek and they were fantastic. Great price, willing to deal and they treated us like kings and we were in and out in under an hour with all paperwork and trade evaluations.
High neighbor! Right across the water in Foster City.

I got the sense the best deals were on Overlands. Not really much on Rubicons. And the Sport and Sport S models had options added to nearly Overland prices. They have $6k off their trio of white overlands, they had those same 3 last weekend also.

Does dh650 refer to a downhill 27.5" bike by any chance?

The finance guy at BW told me they had sold 4 cars all week when we showed up on a Saturday, and then had sold 4 just that morning. They were pretty busy that day but it's d.e.a.d. midweek.

dh650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
High neighbor! Right across the water in Foster City.

I got the sense the best deals were on Overlands. Not really much on Rubicons. And the Sport and Sport S models had options added to nearly Overland prices. They have $6k off their trio of white overlands, they had those same 3 last weekend also.

Does dh650 refer to a downhill 27.5" bike by any chance?

The finance guy at BW told me they had sold 4 cars all week when we showed up on a Saturday, and then had sold 4 just that morning. They were pretty busy that day but it's d.e.a.d. midweek.
I just saw where Sunnyvale has their Overlands all listed at $10k off or greater now. My guess is they won't give any firm quotes over email or text though, and those prices will magically change once a buyer steps foot onto the dealership property.

Nah, dh650 doesn't refer to any biking stuff, but the 650 is our area code!

Zzarkzul

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 YJ
Occupation
Sr. Maintenance Support
After browsing the forum here, I went to Rob in Socal. Right to the point, no bait and switch like other dealers I've visited. Communications via text and email were clear and no pressure to add on extras. 100% recommend! Bought it yesterday from him! He is at Coastline Auto in San Juan Capistrano!

IMG_20200604_115702.jpg

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I just saw where Sunnyvale has their Overlands all listed at $10k off or greater now. My guess is they won't give any firm quotes over email or text though, and those prices will magically change once a buyer steps foot onto the dealership property.

Nah, dh650 doesn't refer to any biking stuff, but the 650 is our area code!
Thats why I didnt bother going to Normandin. I wasn't interested in a ****show. The one I got at Boardwalk wasnt even on their site yet, had just come in.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
Thats why I didnt bother going to Normandin. I wasn't interested in a ****show. The one I got at Boardwalk wasnt even on their site yet, had just come in.
We bought ours from Normandin last month and it was pretty painless. We showed the sales guy the unit we wanted from their website and he grabbed the key so we could check it out. We didn't try negotiating because we felt the asking price was reasonable: MSRP was $42,505 and they had it listed for $37,642.
Sponsored