Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Printer
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a ‘20 Mojave with 30,000 miles from the dealer about a month ago. Last week or so I started hearing a pretty bad tick and got codes for Cam shaft sensors. Brought it into the dealer and they ended up putting in a whole new cam and lifters. They said mine was beat to hell. I never even came close to redlining the thing. Is this a common issue with these motors or did I just get unlucky?
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Seems fairly common, unfortunately. Not super regular, but you're not the first.

OP
OP
Kspletzer0389

Kspletzer0389

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Printer
Vehicle Showcase
Also, I had recently installed a CAI before the codes were thrown. Could that have been the problem? I took it off when I brought it to the dealer for fear of warranty void but when I put it back on is this going to happen to me again?

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Also, I had recently installed a CAI before the codes were thrown. Could that have been the problem? I took it off when I brought it to the dealer for fear of warranty void but when I put it back on is this going to happen to me again?
Wasn’t anything you did. It’s been happening more and more lately. There are several threads here on it.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Usually the right (driver's side).
There was a recall or TSB or something that covered a bunch of them. Supposedly it didn't carry into the later 21-22 models but I'm not convinced.

Sponsored

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
This has been an issue since early years of the JK's

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
CAIs do nothing but make noise. No other real change. They can't impact engine internals in any way and do nothing for stress or power.
There's a whole lot, and I mean hundreds of posts in several threads here about cams and followers.

This has been an issue since early years of the JK's
Not the same issue. Totally different cause. The cams are different, the followers/rockers are different.
In this case it's the high lift mode issue, in the earlier 3.6 it was the bearings in the rollers failing. In these, the rollers are fine.

Usually the right (driver's side).
There was a recall or TSB or something that covered a bunch of them. Supposedly it didn't carry into the later 21-22 models but I'm not convinced.
Yeah, it has me thinking, too.......... I've not seen it in the late 21s and later, but not seeing doesn't mean something doesn't exist, eh?!

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Seems pretty common. Just had my passenger side done. You would think jeep would get there act together

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Seems pretty common. Just had my passenger side done. You would think jeep would get there act together
Maybe they have - yours is also a 2020. So far, haven't seen 2022 do it, or even late 2021.

Advntrbound

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Just had my 2020 passenger side cams replaced, along with the followers and lash adjustors. Super smooth now.

Sponsored

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Maybe they have - yours is also a 2020. So far, haven't seen 2022 do it, or even late 2021.
That’s good to know. I have been looking into trading mine in for a 2022. Really wanted to get a diesel, but hard to come by in my area and very pricey.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Really wanted to get a diesel, but hard to come by in my area and very pricey.
I agree with you on the price. But if you want it, ordering it will take care of the first part, unless you need it like right now. Seems like you got yours fixed. So just order yourself a diesel, and wait the build out.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
What is the test a tech would do to see if this issue is also happening to my 2020 model with 27,400 miles having random misfire on cylinder 5 at rpm over 5000?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What is the test a tech would do to see if this issue is also happening to my 2020 model with 27,400 miles having random misfire on cylinder 5 at rpm over 5000?
EDIT - I was out in my shop looking at my 360 when I came back and did this - HOOTBRO correct me, and I KNEW BETTER for sure -
#5 is the left side - not the common side to go. It happens but far less likely.
#5 is the RIGHT side as seen sitting in the seat in the cab. These are numbered opposite of older V configurations.
1, 3 and 5 are on the right side, passenger side if you live in the states.
2, 4 and 6 are on the left, driver side in the states.
(have to clarify that as the Aussies drive on the wrong side of the road and sit in the wrong seat in the cab)

I REALLY should know better because for months I dealt with misfires on EVEN numbered cylinders - LEFT side.

------------------------
What they need to do is RULE OUT other causes.
Troubleshooting is a process of taking symptoms and based on that, doing tests to gather more information.
You have a high RPM misfire - first thing I'd do is to run something to get a freeze frame - a capture of conditions at the time of misfire. The system should also report if it's ignition or otherwise.
You can also try to rule out ignition - test the coil pack pattern.

I don't get why some of this isn't just common practice - the information is there inside the PCM -
right away you know what it is - ignition. So, you go from there. There are tests that can be run on the ignition system.

EDIT - there's a TSB for ignition failures related to spark plugs - that's what resolved the situation below -

2021/01/04 11:56:35.970: Faults found: P0303
Error code: P0303
Cylinder 3 ignition failures
Test not complete
Error intermittent
Error warning lamp not requested
CARB Freeze Frame:
Open Loop - Bank 1: No
Closed Loop - Bank 1: Yes
Open Loop due to Driving Conditions - Bank 1: No
Open Loop with DTC - Bank 1: No
Closed Loop with DTC - Bank 1: No
Open Loop - Bank 2: No
Closed Loop - Bank 2: No
Open Loop due to Driving Conditions - Bank 2: No
Open Loop with DTC - Bank 2: No
Closed Loop with DTC - Bank 2: No
Engine load: 30.20 %
Freeze Frame Engine Coolant Temp: 66.00 Deg.C
Intake Air Temperature: 215.00 Deg.C
Ambient Air Temperature: 12.00 Deg.C
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1: 12.49 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1: -3.13 %
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2: 9.37 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2: -7.04 %
MAP Voltage: 1.96 V
(and dozens more lines after this)

Look for how the O2 sensors are reading - normal or not, and if everything looks normal in certain places, then you look for physical conditions, IMO.

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I think now that the likely culprit plug, coil pack have been tested, I'll just let the dealer fix it on Tuesday, or at least diagnose the issue for a future appointment.

Seems that whatever is doing this is probably covered by the powertrain warranty.
Sponsored