First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, Hydro Blue, Max Tow
Occupation
Computer Geek
We're looking to purchase our first camper and our short list has models that vary from 7' - 8' in width. Saw a post on a camper forum from a Gladiator owner who complained about backing up and maneuvering an 8' wide camper and who regretted not getting a slimmer one. Since the Gladiator is not overly wide, will we regret towing a wider camper? Our 1st choice is 7'6" in width (Vista Cruiser 19ERD).

Tom & Shari
Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
We're looking to purchase our first camper and our short list has models that vary from 7' - 8' in width. Saw a post on a camper forum from a Gladiator owner who complained about backing up and maneuvering an 8' wide camper and who regretted not getting a slimmer one. Since the Gladiator is not overly wide, will we regret towing a wider camper? Our 1st choice is 7'6" in width (Vista Cruiser 19ERD).

Tom & Shari
Mine is nearly 7 1/2 foot wide and have no issues towing it. I'd do the 7'6" wide one. You'd be amazed how much bigger it'll feel inside with that extra 6" and, not be a pain in the tookus to tow.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Get the Thorn adapters for the extended mirrors. That resolved the issue for us with our 8' travel trailer. Thorn Engineering, they're on eBay and there is a thread here in the forums.

OP
OP
Tazbert

Tazbert

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, Hydro Blue, Max Tow
Occupation
Computer Geek
Get the Thorn adapters for the extended mirrors. That resolved the issue for us with our 8' travel trailer. Thorn Engineering, they're on eBay and there is a thread here in the forums.
Yep. Saw the posts. Ordered a set this afternoon.

King Crimson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU, 2021 JT
Occupation
Sales/Engineering/Management
I tow an 8' wide Jayco X213. I don't like that I can't see behind me but the extra width while camping is worth it. I try to stay in the right lane while on the highway and minimize lane changes. Being the slowest vehicle on the road is liberating. I don't have to deal with anyone, they all have to deal with me.

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Anything much narrower than 7’6” won’t have the bed across the trailer, making your sleeping quarters take up an inordinate amount of interior space.

Kevin

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
The Vista Crusier 19ERD is a pretty cool at 23', 7'6" wide and about 3100 lbs. Our other choice was the Winnebago 1706FB, about same weight much shorter , 7 foot wide and Tandem axles on a 17' model.
Wife and I had a list of wants:
1.) Rear dinette
2.) Larger two door fridge.
3.) Dry bath, not showering sitting on toilet.
4.) Around 3,000 lbs.
5.) Wanted less then 8', preferred 7'.
6.) No slides, weight and leak issue.
Winnebago was my favorite, but no rear dinette the bed did not compete with the walk around queen in the Vista Crusier, the front bedroom bathroom combo with a two way door is awesome on vista crusier, just wish it had tandem axles but that is tough to find in a 3,000 weight class. Vista crisier is aluminum walls, Azdel fiberglass walls and one piece fiberglass roof from hitch to rear bumper, oh well I didn't get the tandem axles. The Vista Crusier has the spare tire under the front bed storage area in a box under the floor, way cool!
We have a deposit on a 19ERD that is finished at factory waiting on some parts, we get a look see and can walk but I doubt wife will let me, I tried to talk her into the 17' Vista crusier with rear dinette and one door fridge with a non walk around bed, at about 2,600 pounds but happy wife happy life!
Width behind a Jeep that is 6'6" wide to outside edge of mirrors is important, the Vista Crusier at 7'6" will be wider then the outside of Thorn mirrors I have by 1" each side, should work ok, better then my 1982 Scrambler did towing a 8' camper, I hated merging onto highways not really being able to see the traffic coming.
I looked and researched just about every camper made, 19' Vista crusier with a GVWR of just over 4,000, is the most I want to haul behind my Mojave....Jack

PS: Wow what a novel I wrote!

Last edited:

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
It's a very big issue, even a chart in the owners manual for it.

Our truck is a good tow rig keeping it with in it's parameters. Being mindful of the drag is as important as tow rating and or payload.
Sponsored