Camping *city boy* helppppp

Jackdforme

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT High Altitude
Hey forum. I'm new to camping with a pickup. I've done camping before and know how to setup a tent and fire etc. But that is as far as it goes. I grew up in Brooklyn.

I'm taking my wife and three young kids to yogi for a weekend. My wife will drive her car and I will take my oldest in the jeep.

Any tips on what to buy that won't break the bank and make it more jeep camping than just camping?

We will get a big family tent but should I get a bed tent for the kids. What else am I not thinking of?
Sponsored

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Weā€™re out in the woods quite a bit and weā€™ve found that our little ones do best when we have things for them to do. Gathering wood for the fire, spotting lightning bugs if in season, worms to catch fish if water is close but most of all hiking on foot and trail riding in whatever we take.

Not sure why youā€™re taking multiple cars but when you get there, pile into the jeep and wander around. Find some trails to explore. Tucker the kids out so when it comes time to go to sleep, it goes somewhat smooth. if it isnā€™t too cold, tops off/windows down and fire up the heater while roaming around trails.

Iā€™d pack a cooler with stuff to grill on the fire, our whole family loves chorizo and itā€™s easy. Keep everyone fed, sā€™mores are always a hit. Fire is mandatory so bring bought wood if your not certain wood will be available on the site.

We back up to game and conservation land and allow our oldest two to explore but we give the oldest a walky talkie to keep in touch with us. Got a set of cobras for like $30 on Amazon a few years ago. They both have whistles too and orange hats regardless if itā€™s hunting season. Let them roam around and connect with nature. Donā€™t hawk them the whole time.

If you find a clearing near your campsite, take everyone out well after sunset to view the stars. Bring extra pillows and blankets, make sure everyone is as comfortable as possible.

Not much of the above requires a jeep so donā€™t expect the truck to elevate your experience otherwise youā€™ll be let down. Now, if you can mix in an off road park that allows camping, that changes things dramatically.

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
If you can find a park with a nice forest road, that can be fun with a Jeep :) We also sleep in our roof top tent, but thatā€™s harder with a big family (>3).

For kids and sleeping, I would suggest keeping the equipment light and focusing on the experience of being out of the city instead of bringing the city with you. There are lots of really nice self inflating cushion/pads for the ground. That plus a sleeping bag and youā€™re golden :)

I still remember my first night sleeping by the fire in just my sleeping bag (no tent). You can make the call if your kids are ready for that though.

We focus on active sports when camping to make it fun for our family. Frisbee, bikes, mountain board, kubbspel, anything with a ball :)

Biggest tip: bring snacks! Trail mix, M&Ms, jerky, etc. And donā€™t forget sā€™mores.

If anyone in your family likes cooking, camp cooking is also a fun adventure. Lots you can do with coals and itā€™s a good way to gather the family around the fire.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jackdforme

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT High Altitude
Thanks all. Great tips. For the kids (9,6,2) the 2 year old and our giant dog will be with us in the main tent. I want to get a tent and bed for the other 2 to sleep in the bed at night. Any recommended? I am not into the overlander tent as I am trying to stick to a budget.

OP
OP

Jackdforme

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT High Altitude
Weā€™re out in the woods quite a bit and weā€™ve found that our little ones do best when we have things for them to do. Gathering wood for the fire, spotting lightning bugs if in season, worms to catch fish if water is close but most of all hiking on foot and trail riding in whatever we take.

Not sure why youā€™re taking multiple cars but when you get there, pile into the jeep and wander around. Find some trails to explore. Tucker the kids out so when it comes time to go to sleep, it goes somewhat smooth. if it isnā€™t too cold, tops off/windows down and fire up the heater while roaming around trails.

Iā€™d pack a cooler with stuff to grill on the fire, our whole family loves chorizo and itā€™s easy. Keep everyone fed, sā€™mores are always a hit. Fire is mandatory so bring bought wood if your not certain wood will be available on the site.

We back up to game and conservation land and allow our oldest two to explore but we give the oldest a walky talkie to keep in touch with us. Got a set of cobras for like $30 on Amazon a few years ago. They both have whistles too and orange hats regardless if itā€™s hunting season. Let them roam around and connect with nature. Donā€™t hawk them the whole time.

If you find a clearing near your campsite, take everyone out well after sunset to view the stars. Bring extra pillows and blankets, make sure everyone is as comfortable as possible.

Not much of the above requires a jeep so donā€™t expect the truck to elevate your experience otherwise youā€™ll be let down. Now, if you can mix in an off road park that allows camping, that changes things dramatically.
We are taking 2 because I have a giant dog who has no space to live if we took 1 car. So now we have plenty and the camp site is less than 2 hours from us.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I miss camping! I have two little ones (4 & 1) but have yet to take them out. I was debating doing it this past weekend but honestly I'm not sure the little guy would be ready for it yet. I would have to set up one of those pack & play mobile cribs in the tent but it may be worth it to get out of the house for a night.

Other than keeping busy/entertained my biggest concern is just keeping everyone comfortable at night. In that regard I opt for air mattresses. They are heavy relative to a sleeping pad but insulate well and generally stay inflated all night. If I'm really feeling like a greenhorn I'll stack two on top of each other. Sleep like a baby (if they would actually sleep all night).

I am also trying to figure out the sleeping arrangements. I have two 4 person cheap (heavy) tents. Before the kids we could cram 2 people and 2 dogs into one tent easy enough. I figure one adult/kid/toddler and then other adult/2 dogs. That or bring a hammock and sleep outside the tents.

I would avoid the temptation to load up the credit card at REI. I like buying camping gear about as much as camping but you don't need most of the stuff they sell for a 1-2 night stay. All that lightweight gear is $$$$ and I don't plan on thru-hiking anywhere. Those 4 person tents from most generic sporting goods stores (Academy, Dick's, even Target/Walmart) have served me well. They are too heavy to throw in a backpack but they keep you dry and you can fit a decent sized mattress in them.

edit: 1 thing we did get from REI that I enjoy is a backpack kid carrier. I got one of the Osprey models and it's extremely comfortable carrying a kid on your back on trails.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Thanks all. Great tips. For the kids (9,6,2) the 2 year old and our giant dog will be with us in the main tent. I want to get a tent and bed for the other 2 to sleep in the bed at night. Any recommended? I am not into the overlander tent as I am trying to stick to a budget.
Sounds like a full crew. That's tough. If this is literally the first time you'll be camping as a family, I'd opt for a small hunting shack via Air BnB or VRBO. Something cheap. Or check to see if your state allows camping on game lands. PA does as long as you're a few hundred feet of the Appalachian Trail. I know that may sound lame but it will provide back-up shelter if needed and facilities. Most importantly you'll have some isolation while you test the waters. I say this because the scenario you're describing is exactly why we never stay at public camping areas, haven't for years. Just shooting straight with you.

As for beds, we have inflatable mats that go under our bags. One of our boys is a wiggler, like full on 360Ā° rotations every hour, it's astonishing really. Point being, a single large blow-up mattress tends to fail for us. Good inflatable pads can be had for $25 primed. They look like egg cartons once inflated and are shockingly comfortable.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Something to consider... if youā€™re pitching a tent in the back of the truck, youā€™ll need to take it down any time you want to go somewhere. And youā€™ll also have to empty the bed every time you put it up. Thatā€™s all fine if you donā€™t plan to be driving once you get there, but otherwise something to consider. Youā€™ll already have one tent on the ground. No reason not to just have a second unless space is an issue.

As for what to bring... Most improved campsites have a picnic table. Otherwise, youā€™ll want a table and chairs. A two-burner camp stove is convenient if you want to do actual cooking. You can get by completely with just a campfire, but itā€™s different so just be prepared for that. And just because they have a campfire ring doesnā€™t guarantee theyā€™ll have a grilling grate. So Iā€™d check on that and plan accordingly if thatā€™s how you like to cook.

For entertainment, you can bring board games (preferably with few pieces), card games or outdoor games like beanbag toss or lawn darts. Otherwise, itā€™s nature... Get out and hike or ride.

Take your freedom top case so you can explore topless. And itā€™s not hard for an able-bodied adult male to take the whole top off solo while standing in the bed. Seems like a great place to do it, weather permitting. If youā€™re worried about leaving it unattended, lock it to something sturdy like a picnic table with a bike lock through one of the bolt holes.

Amazon sells dirt cheap pop-up, battery-powered lanterns. Theyā€™re cheap enough for everyone to have their own. Also nice to have one to hang inside the tent. Theyā€™re not crazy powerful, but theyā€™re a crowd pleaser. Also consider a good old fashioned propane lantern if you want to really crank the output.

If you low-powered electronic devices, a plug-in inverter can come in handy if your Jeep doesnā€™t already have that package. Theyā€™re probably $30 on Amazon and can handle probably up to about 200 watts. If you have devices that really crank the watts, you can get much larger inverters that clamp directly to the battery posts. These can be significantly more powerful than even what comes with the built-in inverter (if you have one). If you go that route, though, make sure the engine is running. Otherwise youā€™ll deplete your battery.

On-board GMRS radios are cool, but hand-held GMRS walkie talkies like those from Motorola are cheaper and let you spread the love by sharing them around. You probably only need 2 or 3 - one for each party.

Otherwise, my best advice is to get out there and have fun. Pay attention to the things you wish you had and adjust accordingly next time. Everyone is different

Last edited:

Sponsored

LaRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2007 JKU, 1989 YJ
Both my sons were camping within a month of coming into this world, they are in their twenties now and occasionally they invite us on their adventures. We started out in a ground tent, moved to a pop up trailer, then a hard side trailer, back to ground tents, and now roof top tent. Each has their strengths and weaknesses, I try to select the proper ā€œtool for the jobā€.

When the boys were little we picked places to camp that had interesting things to do nearby, hikes, rock climbing, bike paths, ghost towns, visitor centers, ranger programs. Just getting outside was the plan. As they grew we started doing road trips to see places, like Utah and California coast. In their teens we started backpacking. Now each of us have Jeeps and we enjoy exploring So-Calā€™s deserts and the eastern side of the Sierras.

I was blessed to grow up in a family that traveled and camped, so passing these experiences to my sons was natural. Planning, in my opinion, helps a trip go smoothly. Proper gear, proper clothing, proper food, and proper head spacing.

Head spacing - accepting that kids will get dirty, knowing camp grounds can be noisy (someone will pull a guitar out at 11pm), knowing when to pull the plug and head home early (or go to Disneyland).

Proper gear is important, gear that wonā€™t let you down if the weather changes. The items I wouldnā€™t skimp on are, tents (Iā€™ve seen enough cheep tents flattened by a mild breeze), properly rated sleeping bag/mat combo, and jackets. I always recommend renting, many REIā€™s rent quality basic camping gear.

Starting out Iā€™d recommend either camping near home or going some place near enough to a town that has things you might have forgotten.

Most of all, have fun and follow the ā€œleave no traceā€ principles.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Plan the first one a overnighter have a notepad to keep notes on too.... Of what you want, need and don't. At least a change of clothes, but don't go overboard with them. Few towels, water for drinking and washing hands ect. Brite clothes for little ones but not good when bee, wasp and every state favorite bug is out. So don't forget big spray.šŸ˜‰
We humans have been running around in the wild since we've been here. Keep it simple at start. Pull up a few of the camping tips things on net.
I'll second with a stop at REI too. Lot of information available from them.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to be contrarian, but before hitting up REI, first decide what kind of camper you are. REI is expensive and targeted towards those that are committed to outdoor activities. If this is a casual, occasional activity, donā€™t overlook Academy or even Walmart for your gear.

It sounds like youā€™re a ā€œcar camperā€ (me too) so donā€™t waste money on a ton of back country gear. For example, donā€™t pay double for items that are half the weight because you wonā€™t be carrying them on your back.

That being said, thereā€™s always room for quality basics... Tents, sleeping bags, etc... But again, make sure youā€™re looking at the ones that are right for you. A bulky sleeping bag rated for 30 degrees may be 3x less than the same rating on a packable sleeping bag.

Weasel Caesar

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
psssshhh - don't listen to these "Glamping" aficionados, you don't need any of that stuff. Just bring a small woodsman's knife, grab a stout branch and baton down a few trees to build a cabin. Grab some branches with softer foliage and pile that up for a bed. You won't need food, since there's plenty of grubs and furry critters to catch. Just strip down some plant fibers, braid a rope and set some snares to catch dinner. Water? Well, heck- with a standard survival straw you can drink from any mud puddle you want. Grab some flint and scrape with the back of your woodsman's knife to spark up a fire- just don't burn your cabin down.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
psssshhh - don't listen to these "Glamping" aficionados, you don't need any of that stuff. Just bring a small woodsman's knife, grab a stout branch and baton down a few trees to build a cabin. Grab some branches with softer foliage and pile that up for a bed. You won't need food, since there's plenty of grubs and furry critters to catch. Just strip down some plant fibers, braid a rope and set some snares to catch dinner. Water? Well, heck- with a standard survival straw you can drink from any mud puddle you want. Grab some flint and scrape with the back of your woodsman's knife to spark up a fire- just don't burn your cabin down.
You first. šŸ˜‚
Sponsored