Sponsored

Can I Go Off Road With Stock Axels And 37s?

jtforrester

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I am getting ready to go off roading for the first time since adding the Mopar lift and 37s. I have a Sport S with max tow, so the wider axels. I've read posts ranging from "stock axels with 37s will explode the instant you drive off pavement" (maybe slight exaggeration :)) to "I have stock axels and 37s and off road all the time." I have never seen the former group substantiate their claims, but have seen many from the latter group substantiate their posts with pics.

So, to give me confidence that my stock axels will not turn to shrapnel the instant my tires leave pavement, I'd appreciate seeing posts from people who off road with stock axels and 37s without problems. Pics would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Jeep Gladiator Can I Go Off Road With Stock Axels And 37s? IMG_20200815_155601_2
Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
The lack of AXLE upgrade choice has caused me to look to other brands. As capable as the JT is, I cannot justify the Rube because of the open diffs when not locked and the added bells and whistles. The lower trim levels only offer trac- loc rear (with another open diff in the front-gag) which I had in the YJ and will not use again. My ideal axle set up would be a Dana 44 with Eaton Tru-Trac and the aftermarket offerings are the only expensive choice. Sorry Jeep, you have lost me.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
You know the jeep is designed to go off-road your Axle's are fine go off roading

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
You can break stock axles with stock size wheels/tires. All depends on how you're using it, what you tell your right foot you need and knowing when to back off and what lines to takes. Basically, use common sense and logic and you'll be fine. Plenty of people beating the hell out of stock axles and large tires. Some will break, others wont. Accept the possibility

Sponsored

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I have talked to several folks that I respect their opinion and experience. I feel very comfortable with 37s on my stock axles.

It helps that I am more into finesse when wheeling and not really a hammer down, equipment be damned, I'll fix it on Monday, kind of driver.

I had 37s on my JKU with a Terra30 front axle with TrackLoc and the factory 44 rear with e-locker and 4.88 gears. I never had problems with that setup.

These new axles are much stronger from the factory.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I’m planning on 37s and I’ll go offroad. 37s are only about 11% larger than stock 33s on a Rubi. Take it easy and you should be fine. If you plan on bombing off-road at high speed, plan on investing in 1 ton axles - Dana 60 or larger. Good luck and have fun.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Mild off roading with stock axles, stock motor, stock gears, 37s and a touch of common sense and you should be fine.
power adders, more extreme trails, excessive skinny pedal or no common sense and you can undoubtedly break parts.
And when you look at the Dana specs on these axles and compare to the last generation of axles you see that these are supposedly about the same strength as the previous D60 axles... looks like they are rated to 8200nM torque...

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
You can build the hell out of anything....and destroy it. Your Jeep will take care of you...if you take care of it.

As others here have already said: go easy on the gas, pick your lines accordingly, ask yourself about your exit strategy before you commit to the drop-in or the climb...and be sure to constantly use the best/most important off road gear out there: THAT THING BETWEEN YOUR EARS.

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
If you are an extreme rock crawler, you will break. I go off-road regularly, but let’s define what that means. Dirt and mud roads, logging roads, fields, streams, and the path of least resistance. No boulders, I go around them or take a different path. If I can’t, I don’t go there. Might sound like wimpy off-roading, but it works for me and is very enjoyable. My JTR with Mopar lift and 37s is built for this and I don’t anticipate any issues. Take the same approach and you will be fine. You might even be able to be more adventurous than me with no issues.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
You know the jeep is designed to go off-road your Axle's are fine go off roading
Well.... The Jeep JT in the Rubicon model is designed to go off road on 33-inch tires. 37 inch tires put significantly more stress on everything in the drive train. Jeep doesn't have to warranty your drive train if you do damage to it running 37s. How a person drives off-road (while running 37s) will determine whether or not they do any damage.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you are an extreme rock crawler, you will break. I go off-road regularly, but let’s define what that means. Dirt and mud roads, logging roads, fields, streams, and the path of least resistance. No boulders, I go around them or take a different path. If I can’t, I don’t go there. Might sound like wimpy off-roading, but it works for me and is very enjoyable. My JTR with Mopar lift and 37s is built for this and I don’t anticipate any issues. Take the same approach and you will be fine. You might even be able to be more adventurous than me with no issues.
Pushing 10yrs old.

4” lift - 37s - 4.88s

No truss, no sleeves, no gussets

Still have the stock front axle shafts too.

And that’s 2nd gen D44s. These 3rd Gens are nearly D60s in some ways. I run 37s on my JTR and don’t plan on adding anything but gears.

Jeep Gladiator Can I Go Off Road With Stock Axels And 37s? 0069A7FF-9C82-499F-AFA4-77D013476F29

Last edited: