Can I tow this?

GoBraves95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Hey guys, sorry for the beginner question. I don’t tow often at all, which is part of why I traded in my Ram for the JT. As luck would have it, I just found out that I have the opportunity to buy my late grandfather’s 79 f150 (single cab, long bed, 2wd) and fix it up. I had given up hope that I would ever get the chance to own it, because he passed away years ago and it has been sitting with a relative who was planning on holding on to it. That truck means a lot to me.

I have a Sport S with the tow package, but not max tow. Has anyone ever towed a full size truck on a trailer behind their JT? It does not run yet. I see all sorts of conflicting reports on the internet about what it weighs, anywhere from 4200 to 6500 pounds. The Uhaul car trailer weight on their website says 2,210 lbs. i assume my tow rating is 6,000 since I don’t have max tow but I don’t see that anywhere. If so, that probably means there is no possible way for me to tow the truck, even if it only weighs 4200 pounds right? Any suggestions on affordable ways to get it home about 60 miles? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GoBraves95

GoBraves95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Hey guys, sorry for the beginner question. I don’t tow often at all, which is part of why I traded in my Ram for the JT. As luck would have it, I just found out that I have the opportunity to buy my grandfather’s 79 f150 (single cab, long bed, 2wd) and fix it up. That truck means a lot to me.

I have a Sport S with the tow package, but not max tow. Has anyone ever towed a full size truck on a trailer behind their JT? It does not run yet. I see all sorts of conflicting reports on the internet about what it weighs, anywhere from 4200 to 6500 pounds. The Uhaul car trailer weight on their website says 2,210 lbs. i assume my tow rating is 6,000 since I don’t have max tow but I don’t see that anywhere. If so, that probably means there is no possible way for me to tow the truck, even if it only weighs 4200 pounds right? Any suggestions on affordable ways to get it home about 60 miles? Thanks for your help.
9C0CA274-2958-4A4B-9AFB-C0E0CE5C09E8.jpeg

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Hey guys, sorry for the beginner question. I don’t tow often at all, which is part of why I traded in my Ram for the JT. As luck would have it, I just found out that I have the opportunity to buy my grandfather’s 79 f150 (single cab, long bed, 2wd) and fix it up. That truck means a lot to me.

Your tow rating is 6000 lbs. even at the low end of your weight estimate, you are over weight. I wouldn’t recommend it. Why not rent a uhaul truck and trailer? It wouldn’t cost you that much for a daily rental as long as you didn’t do one way. Can’t borrow a truck from anyone or have a friend with a truck willing to help?

By the way, Go Braves!!! I grew up in Atlanta and I’m a huge fan.

OP
OP
GoBraves95

GoBraves95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Your tow rating is 6000 lbs. even at the low end of your weight estimate, you are over weight. I wouldn’t recommend it. Why not rent a uhaul truck and trailer? It wouldn’t cost you that much for a daily rental as long as you didn’t do one way. Can’t borrow a truck from anyone or have a friend with a truck willing to help?

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, my friends drive mid sized pickups just like me or cars 😂. I was the guy with the big truck, who people asked for favors. I didn’t know uhaul would let you tow with their trucks. I will look into pricing on that. And Go Braves!!!

OP
OP
GoBraves95

GoBraves95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Build Thread
Link

Just checked the uhaul site. They will only allow a tow dolly, not a full trailer. Not sure about the condition of the back tires for that honestly.

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Why not just rent a tow bar and pull it home that way?
You’re only going 60 miles.

Kevin

OP
OP
GoBraves95

GoBraves95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Why not just rent a tow bar and pull it home that way?
You’re only going 60 miles.

Kevin
I’m a little worried about the condition of the tires. They have been sitting without moving for a while now.

OP
OP
GoBraves95

GoBraves95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Build Thread
Link
No way to make it move under its own power?

And at 60 miles, having a towing company do it might not be stupid expensive.
Honestly I don’t know. I havent seen it in a couple of years. It also hasn’t moved in a couple of years so I don’t know how comfortable I’d be driving it without flushing all the fluids and gas and everything first

Sponsored

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
Honestly I don’t know. I havent seen it in a couple of years. It also hasn’t moved in a couple of years so I don’t know how comfortable I’d be driving it without flushing all the fluids and gas and everything first
Good thinking.

You previously said you were concerned about the condition of the rear tires for dolly towing. An option for that is tires from a junkyard.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I wouldn't. However, that sounds like a really fun road trip with a buddy or two. Just take somebody with you and have them drive the F150 back.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Just checked the uhaul site. They will only allow a tow dolly, not a full trailer. Not sure about the condition of the back tires for that honestly.
I’m not sure that’s correct. I see people tow with their trucks and car hauler trailers all the time. It’s probably based on the vehicle you said you’d be towing on it. I’d call them directly and ask.

OP
OP
GoBraves95

GoBraves95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Build Thread
Link
I’m not sure that’s correct. I see people tow with their trucks and car hauler trailers all the time. It’s probably based on the vehicle you said you’d be towing on it. I’d call them directly and ask.
I will. To be fair, the towing capacity for their trucks is listed at 6,000 as well. Guessing they have the V6