Sponsored

Can Overland with tow package tow at least 6k pounds?

xcantuaj

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supra, future Gladiator
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Can tow at least 6k pounds? Correct. I tow a John deer riding mower and trailer on occasion. Thanks
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Can tow at least 6k pounds? Correct. I tow a John deer riding mower and trailer on occasion. Thanks
Yes, 6,000 pounds.
No riding mower would even tax that thing.

Here is my mostly stock Overland towing a car - I figured about 4900, perhaps as high as 5,000 pounds with car and trailer and a few things I brought back with me.
Car about 3,300 pounds or so.

Jeep Gladiator Can Overland with tow package tow at least 6k pounds? 20210910_063711_HDR

John Lenheiser

First Name
Trainman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 dr. Willys
Occupation
Retired
The problem I have found with towing with just about all midsize vehicle with a V6 is that they can do it, but you will have higher RPM's (were talking Jeeps here)on the engine to do it. If you like running your engine in the 4000 to 5000 RPM range and the louder noise that you get in the cab, then go for it. The best and quietest V6 that I towed with in that towing range was with the Honda Ridgeline, by far the best in that towing range. It's like everything else, go with what works for you.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The problem I have found with towing with just about all midsize vehicle with a V6 is that they can do it, but you will have higher RPM's (were talking Jeeps here)on the engine to do it. If you like running your engine in the 4000 to 5000 RPM range and the louder noise that you get in the cab, then go for it. The best and quietest V6 that I towed with in that towing range was with the Honda Ridgeline, by far the best in that towing range. It's like everything else, go with what works for you.
So just what is wrong with running 4,000 RPM? Japanese bikes and car engines have been doing it for decades. The days of an engine doing best at 2,000 are dead and gone. They are meant to run at higher RPM. The high lift valve system was designed to come into play at 2800 RPM so what does that say?
My Javelins all did their best around 3,000 RPM and that's where they ran on the highway. The low RPM is for economy and in large part, NVH.
Power has almost always been made in the higher RPM ranges and in recent decades, that's where things have gone.
I don't understand the aversity to higher RPM.
I owned a Silverado with a nice LS V8 engine for several years, towed with it. Common RPM was 4,000-5,000 in our hills.
So there ya go - full size truck, V8, very capable LS engine, 4,000 RPM was pretty normal and yet people complain about the 3.6?
My 3.6 does it's best at ~3,000-4,000 RPM - which is actually a lower RPM range than my LS did, so in that respect, it tows fine at a bit lower RPM than a V8 did. Yeah, my 3.6 pulled better at a slightly lower RPM than a much bigger V8 did but people complain.
Where's the problem?
Welcome to the present day.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I'm not sure I see it as a problem to run the engine in the RPM range that produces the most power, especially when that range is in the middle of its overall RPM capability.

I never quite understood where this notion came from that RPMs above 2k or 3k was bad.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure I see it as a problem to run the engine in the RPM range that produces the most power, especially when that range is in the middle of its overall RPM capability.

I never quite understood where this notion came from that RPMs above 2k or 3k was bad.
It's either young people never experiencing it/not knowing, or older people forgetting.......
The 70 I sold to buy my JT did 3,000+ all day long at highway speeds. That was normal.
That was 3.15 gears - you got tired of the drone of your sidepipes after 6 hours on the road.
I can only imagine my friends who swapped in 3.54s for more low end go.
Heck, the torque converter in my 73 doesn't come alive until you hit about 2300 RPM. It takes roughly that just to make it move. (not a great grocery-getter when you have to rev it just to make it move, but then very little will take me from the stop light)

I don't know of many gas engines that have their power band sitting at 1700-2000 RPM. (diesel guys are laughing right now)
Those low numbers are the EPA's preference - making CAFE numbers down there.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired

When I am towing my ~5,100 lb (with all we want or need), 27' travel trailer with my stock Overland, I'm generally in the 2,000-2,800 range.

Interstate at 65 MPH in 7th, I'm right around 2,100 RPMs. When my speed drops below 58 MPH, I'll drop back to 6th and run around 2,500-2,800 until I either get back to around 62-63 MPH or have crested the upgrade then it's back to 7th and around 2,100 RPMs again where, if it's relatively flat, she'll run all day, quite contentedly.

Temps of the various bits-n-pieces are also well within normal (towing) ranges. Yes, higher than unloaded but, that's to be expected.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When I am towing my ~5,100 lb (with all we want or need), 27' travel trailer with my stock Overland, I'm generally in the 2,000-2,800 range.

Interstate at 65 MPH in 7th, I'm right around 2,100 RPMs. When my speed drops below 58 MPH, I'll drop back to 6th and run around 2,500-2,800 until I either get back to around 62-63 MPH or have crested the upgrade then it's back to 7th and around 2,100 RPMs again where, if it's relatively flat, she'll run all day, quite contentedly.

Temps of the various bits-n-pieces are also well within normal (towing) ranges. Yes, higher than unloaded but, that's to be expected.
Yeah but you are one of the smarter ones not trying to tow over 5,000 pounds at 75-80 mph.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Yeah but you are one of the smarter ones not trying to tow over 5,000 pounds at 75-80 mph.
I don't generally have issues with high rpms or feeling unsafe towing 6k at 75. Some parts of the northeast you have to be doing 75 otherwise tractor trailers are blowing by you and getting all up in your butt. Specifically I-95, 80, 78 and for some reason PA 22 and 33 near Allentown/Easton. It's a truck circus up there with all the distribution centers.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I don't generally have issues with high rpms or feeling unsafe towing 6k at 75. Some parts of the northeast you have to be doing 75 otherwise tractor trailers are blowing by you and getting all up in your butt. Specifically I-95, 80, 78 and for some reason PA 22 and 33 near Allentown/Easton. It's a truck circus up there with all the distribution centers.
That's their problem. I really don't give a ratz ass as to what they want to do. I drive MY drive, not theirs. I fully understand the I-78/22/33 issue as I used to drive that on occasion (not towing anything) obeying the traffic laws and yeah, they drive like assholes. I-95 isn't so bad. I take that southbound out of southern Chester County when heading south, towing. If I'm heading for the Del/Mar/VA beaches or NC beaches for camping, I'll go down the DelMarVa peninsula and cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Less truck traffic and a bit more sane in their driving habits.

If something happens (and of course I survive) I'll be owning that trucking company for gross negligence at a minimum...
Sponsored