Sponsored

Can the lockable storage box be rekeyed?

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
I'm looking to buy a used under-seat storage box that comes with the Cargo Management Group. Has anyone had any luck rekeying one? If so, who do I call and what am I asking for?

I've looked on the forum and I can’t find any answers. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 1966 Sunbeam Tiger
I bought a new one but it did not come with the locks. Just the holes where they would go on each
side. You can purchase the new cylinders and key them yourself to your key. That's what I did. Works like a charm. Not a cheap option to add. The new "unkeyed" cylinders are very inexpensive. The box itself, not so much. As for removing the installed cylinders, you can drill them out very carefully and pry them out. The cylinder itself is a polymer material or at least mine was. The key here is to go slowly, you do not want to ruin the box itself. I had to drill one of mine out because I
had a fifty/fifty chance at putting one of the tumblers in incorrectly. Guess which way that went. LOL!

Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
darksidedesign

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
Very helpful information! Thank you! I hadn't seen any comments from anyone saying they had been successful.

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my cylinders the black tumbler went towards the front where the fob key gets inserted. The first one I did I put it at the rear of the cylinder and it jammed into the hole in the cargo box which is why I had to drill it out. You may be able to twist it out depending on how hard you turned trying to lock it in place. If you drill go slowly and carefully, eventually you will be able to remove the drilled out cylinder. As previously said, Keying one of these is very similar to the locking gas cap which I also did with the exception of the black tumbler and spring.
Dave

Sponsored

Tall Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Super Trucker...
I'm looking to buy a used under-seat storage box that comes with the Cargo Management Group. Has anyone had any luck rekeying one? If who, so do I call and what am I asking for?

I've looked on the forum for an answer and I find any answers. Thanks in advance!
I'd put a call into your local locksmith it seems like they would be able to help ?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I just picked up a lockable underseat box and will need to get it rekeyed.

nicheshok

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I bought a new one but it did not come with the locks. Just the holes where they would go on each
side. You can purchase the new cylinders and key them yourself to your key. That's what I did. Works like a charm. Not a cheap option to add. The new "unkeyed" cylinders are very inexpensive. The box itself, not so much. As for removing the installed cylinders, you can drill them out very carefully and pry them out. The cylinder itself is a polymer material or at least mine was. The key here is to go slowly, you do not want to ruin the box itself. I had to drill one of mine out because I
had a fifty/fifty chance at putting one of the tumblers in incorrectly. Guess which way that went. LOL!

Dave
Can you tell me where you purchased the cylinders? I called my Jeep dealership and they quoted me $146 for 2 locks and they couldn't key them to my truck key. Thanks for any help you can provide!

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Can you tell me where you purchased the cylinders? I called my Jeep dealership and they quoted me $146 for 2 locks and they couldn't key them to my truck key. Thanks for any help you can provide!
I think I got mine from Allmoparparts which is a sponser on the boards. I used the same items that are used on the glove box lock. Had locksmith replace and rekey

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)