Sponsored

Can we Disable the auto stop start?

UseThe4orce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Is there a way to permanently disable this feature?

I know there is the button on the dash.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
You can with the Tazer and a lower cost alternative is the Autostop Eliminator ($99 and I think I saw a 10% off coupon on one of the forums recently). Both make the button on dash remember last state so doesn't revert to stop/start enabled every time you get in car.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my Tazer & thats the absolute first thing I did...

I also saw something on a youtube video saying that if you unplug the connector for the hood sensor it will disable the autostart/stop.. Dont know if thats true or not.

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
I pulled The hood sensor closest to the fender out of the bracket and zip tied it to some other wires out of the way. That disabled the auto stop but I do get an Air near my fuel gauge now, but unobtrusive and worth the improvement.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
A little pricey, but one of the first things I installed on my JTR was the SmartStopStart .

Simple....and easy to remove if I ever have to.

Sponsored

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
What's the benefit to disabling it?

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Its bloody hell annoying. First time it stops & you try to merge onto a busy road you will feel why. Its not instantaneous turning the truck back on. There is a little bit of lag.
I've never had an issue with it. The starter engages when I take my foot off the brake and the motor is running by the time I step on the throttle. I suppose that if I perceived a problem I'd hit the button.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
At least they could have allowed us the option to remember last state.
I'm sure it's an emission feature and the vehicle is tested for mpg and smog with the feature enabled so they can't give you the option to PERMANENTLY disable it . That's an assumption on my part though.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I've never had an issue with it. The starter engages when I take my foot off the brake and the motor is running by the time I step on the throttle. I suppose that if I perceived a problem I'd hit the button.
Haven't received my Gladiator yet. I plan to disable it everytime I drive the truck until I get used to tthe feel of driving it with no distractions. Only then let ESS do it's thing so I can evaluate how I respond to it.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
There is a lag between taking your foot of the break & it starting.. If your trying to go in a hurry there is an artificial delay. There is an intersection that I have to go through every time I leave my house where cross draffic does not stop & if there is any traffic on that road you gotta give it some gas to merge either direction without impeding someone else. Vehichles like school bus's regularely sit at that intersection for 5+ minutes trying to wait for a break in traffic to get through.

Then other times when I would like it to stop it doesnt. Like going through a drive through it stops the first time I stop. but then doesnt stop again when I order or when I am at the window.

Not saying that others dont do fine with it, but it doesn't suit my usage at all.. Also my town has a grand total of 2 stop lights so there isnt a lot of idle time I get outside of the above scenarios.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure it's an emission feature and the vehicle is tested for mpg and smog with the feature enabled so they can't give you the option to PERMANENTLY disable it . That's an assumption on my part though.
That's correct. EPA regulations allow a temporary trip disable button. The ESS has to be enabled at startup. FCA doesn't get credit for using ESS to increase overall fleet MPG if it provides a disable feature.
Sponsored