First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I believe that on my wife's Macan it remembers the last button state so that you don't have to turn it off (if desired) every key cycle.
I wish it worked that way. Every key cycle resets it to “on”.
Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
I wish it worked that way. Every key cycle resets it to “on”.
I'll have to pay attention next time I drive it. I don't recall having to shut it off. She has no idea. Lol.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
It's not a good idea to sit at a stop with the clutch depressed and the manual transmission in gear. That puts extra wear on the pilot bearing and throw-out bearing.

Dovi82

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S (STOCK) 2014 Jeep JK (NOT STOCK)
Occupation
Wouldn't you like to know.
So on my jeep it is pressure sensed, so when I am at a light I know is about to change I will come to a stop but not depress it all the way so the engine stays on and can gun it out and then when I am going to be at a light for a while I will depress it completely and it will shut off.

captanzuelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JK
I believe that on my wife's Macan it remembers the last button state so that you don't have to turn it off (if desired) every key cycle.
If i remember correctly, Porsche models built before 2016 had that “remember” feature. The new models, you have to diable everytime the engine starts.

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
So on my jeep it is pressure sensed, so when I am at a light I know is about to change I will come to a stop but not depress it all the way so the engine stays on and can gun it out and then when I am going to be at a light for a while I will depress it completely and it will shut off.
Depress what?

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
It's not a good idea to sit at a stop with the clutch depressed and the manual transmission in gear. That puts extra wear on the pilot bearing and throw-out bearing.
I assume that was directed at me since I commented that the ESS doesn't happen if you leave the clutch pedal in at a stop light.

I guess long time bad habits are hard to change. One being I rarely ever take a car out of gear at a stop light unless I know it's going to be a long one. Over the years I've put well over 500,000 miles on four vehicles with sticks that I've owned and have never had a throw out bearing fail.

I've also never had a starter go bad, and I intend to uphold that record by not using the one in my Jeep dozens of times every day.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If i remember correctly, Porsche models built before 2016 had that “remember” feature. The new models, you have to diable everytime the engine starts.
You may be correct. We had a 16 prior to trading it in on this 19. That may be what I'm remembering.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would think that there should be a way to disable it but I'd have to play around with it to see. It appears the when you press the button a signal is bussed to the BCM. I'd need to see if there's a resistor in the button like in a MUX circuit or if it impulses a power or a ground. I'm thinking resistor as the BCM needs to know exactly which button is being pressed on the bus and it's looking for a specific voltage to associate with that particular button. It might be something as simple as using a relay and in line resistor to make it think you've hit the button when the key is in run but I'm just thinking out loud.

Sponsored

rockcityphoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland North Edition
Yeah, it might be a newer thing. I had a 2014 Mazda3 and it would stay in whatever setting you left it in and my current 2015 BMW 428i does the same. I've rented a few different Jeep vehicles in the last couple years and they all go back to the on setting after you turn off the car.

REDJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2015 JK
I would think that there should be a way to disable it but I'd have to play around with it to see. It appears the when you press the button a signal is bussed to the BCM. I'd need to see if there's a resistor in the button like in a MUX circuit or if it impulses a power or a ground. I'm thinking resistor as the BCM needs to know exactly which button is being pressed on the bus and it's looking for a specific voltage to associate with that particular button. It might be something as simple as using a relay and in line resistor to make it think you've hit the button when the key is in run but I'm just thinking out loud.
Though I really appreciate all of the ingenuity, I can't fathom why anyone would want to mess around installing relays/resistors or any other hack when ready-made options are available for about $90. My JT's MSRP was in the upper-40s and I'm not about to start cutting into the wiring. I bought the ESS eliminator and installed it in 5 minutes. Clean install - click two connectors and done - the toughest part for me was trying to put together a zip-tie while using just one hand. Anyway, mine's done and I, for one, am glad there was no splicing and dicing any wires.

Now if someone with all that smarts could figure out an inexpensive way to get the rear sliding window to open and close remotely (without taking forever to open/close and not sounding like you're threading steel pipe) that would be fantastic!

Last edited:

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Though I really appreciate all of the ingenuity, I can't fathom why anyone would want to mess around installing relays/resistors or any other hack when ready-made options are available for about $90.
Because I like tinkering.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
My take? I ride motorcycles. A lot. My 5 are a mix of drive systems and engine configurations. Some 6 speed, some 5 and one 4. A reversed shift pattern and on the right for that one as well. Startup is the same for all-Fuel, ignition, neutral, engine cut off switch, choke/clutch and scan the lights and gauges once running. Pilots have checklists for pre-flight and engine start. For the JT, your hand is already there, having used the start button and adjusting the climate controls. (You do turn everything off before shutting down, right?) Press the ESS and save 100 clams. I can still learn new tricks. Cheers.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
You do turn everything off before shutting down, right?
My wife likes to turn everything off while I tend to leave things where they are. Is there an advantage of one way over the other? Why?
Sponsored