Cancelled MY Launch Edition order

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
As much as I wanted to like it, it's just not right for me at this time. One drive is all it took to make me realize it will not comfortably tow what I need it to, the 3.6 and 8 Spd simply will not be up to the task of towing anything more than 2-3k lbs vs the 7k lbs as advertised once the truck has been lifted with 35's and outfitted for multi-week (heavy) overland type outings for a family of 4. Unfortunately, overland travel for most of us in the US requires significant interstate travel at 70+ mph to get to an offroad destination, a speed that will be exhausting to maintain with this powertrain when loaded down, especially if not near sea level.

That was not my only deciding factor though, add that to the botched "launch edition" label that has left most of us brand loyalists waiting and watching other non LE's that were custom ordered much later yet have already been delivered to the buyer, a crappy dealer experience (Westgate Jeep, Raleigh NC) and the realization that it truly is nothing more than a wrangler with a bed and an inflated sticker price and it became too hard to justify my desire for it, especially at full sticker price.

I will revisit the Gladiator when the diesel is available as it should tow significantly better but I'm guessing its upcharge alone will steer me away once we know pricing, especially if they are still selling at sticker price at most dealers. At this point I feel the 30k in cash I had planned to put towards it might be better spent on the V8 I've always wanted in my JKUR (which I really, really like anyhow) that is fully built out for overlanding otherwise. Now its time to research Hemi vs LS swap...
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
$30K will definately doe the Hemi. I would look at Prodigy Turbo though......

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Why not just get a full size truck with crew cab and V8 already installed, with lockers and proper gearing, is more than enough to tow and haul a heavy load and full family. Plus as long as you're not rock crawling or squeezing down narrow trails, is more than capable with said lockers for dirt trails, muddy river crossings, and moderate hill climbs on rock covered trails. Brand loyalty is nothing but a waste of money now a days, have to get what makes sense for your specific tasks.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
As much as I wanted to like it, it's just not right for me at this time. One drive is all it took to make me realize it will not comfortably tow what I need it to, the 3.6 and 8 Spd simply will not be up to the task of towing anything more than 2-3k lbs vs the 7k lbs as advertised once the truck has been lifted with 35's and outfitted for multi-week (heavy) overland type outings for a family of 4. Unfortunately, overland travel for most of us in the US requires significant interstate travel at 70+ mph to get to an offroad destination, a speed that will be exhausting to maintain with this powertrain when loaded down, especially if not near sea level.

That was not my only deciding factor though, add that to the botched "launch edition" label that has left most of us brand loyalists waiting and watching other non LE's that were custom ordered much later yet have already been delivered to the buyer, a crappy dealer experience (Westgate Jeep, Raleigh NC) and the realization that it truly is nothing more than a wrangler with a bed and an inflated sticker price and it became too hard to justify my desire for it, especially at full sticker price.

I will revisit the Gladiator when the diesel is available as it should tow significantly better but I'm guessing its upcharge alone will steer me away once we know pricing, especially if they are still selling at sticker price at most dealers. At this point I feel the 30k in cash I had planned to put towards it might be better spent on the V8 I've always wanted in my JKUR (which I really, really like anyhow) that is fully built out for overlanding otherwise. Now its time to research Hemi vs LS swap...
I'll be honest, this is a perfect and great post for people to read. It's well thought out without the hyperbole that comes with the Gladiator. It is just a truck. Very true. The 'Max Tow" is a marketing number only. I think this truck is very much still in the "toy" range... not intended as a work truck, nor a towing overland rig. I think it will probably do ok with a camper or bed replacement for overlanding... but throwing a heavy trailer behind it isn't properly realistic. I think you also make a very good point, yes the Diesel will have a lower max tow, but if it pulls 6k more effectively than a gas engine then the difference is still valid.

I'm driving a perfectly acceptable JKUS that pulls my 3500 lb popup totally fine. I wish there was a simple way to have it behave like a proper truck for hauling things in the back(plywood, long boards, toys.) Your post is a great reminder to myself that chasing a $40-60k vehicle for simply a truck bed is a bad idea.

Good luck w/ your Hemi swap!

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Why not just get a full size truck with crew cab and V8 already installed, with lockers and proper gearing, is more than enough to tow and haul a heavy load and full family. Plus as long as you're not rock crawling or squeezing down narrow trails, is more than capable with said lockers for dirt trails, muddy river crossings, and moderate hill climbs on rock covered trails. Brand loyalty is nothing but a waste of money now a days, have to get what makes sense for your specific tasks.
The top doesn't come off of any full size truck, and when you get to a destination it is not nearly as fun to hit the trails with.

OP
OP
NORDNDED

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$30K will definately doe the Hemi. I would look at Prodigy Turbo though......
My travels take me too far off the beaten path to fool around with the reliability of the vehicle by adding aftermarket forced induction. Although it would cost far more, a V8 swap would keep it, for the most part at least, stockish. Or at least in terms of parts availability and repairs/diagnosis as they would be OEM unlike a turbo. I’ve been stranded in the past because of aftermarket parts and quickly realized that reliabilty takes precedence over everything else about the the vehicle itself when in the backcountry.

mimms123

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Did you get your deposit back??

OP
OP
NORDNDED

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I already have an F150 and agree with everything else you said. It has been to places that are quite surprising given its size and honestly is nearly perfect for North American Overland type of travelling.
DF99FA56-8320-4519-9C3A-6CBDE0F5158E.jpeg

OP
OP
NORDNDED

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://superchips.com/pulsar-jeep-jl-wrangler/

Piggyback for the Gladiator is almost here for 30 HP and 27 ft-lbs TQ.
In my opinion, tuners for naturally aspirated gas engines are only made for the benefit () of the manufacturer of it. That 30 hp and TQ will most likely only come on at wide open throttle or near it which is all but unusable in daily driving.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Because for what he's wanting to do with it, which is add a lift and 35s and tow at high elevation, even a full size truck with a V8 making 75 more horsepower and 140 more lbs/ft of torque but also weighing 1,000 lbs. more will still struggle.

People have unrealistic expectations of pickup trucks, from what I'm seeing.

20 years ago, a V6 in a mid-size truck was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Today, a V6 making 70 more horsepower and 30 more lbs/ft of torque in the same size truck isn't "enough".

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
I live on a ranch in the Rockies, and have a full-size 4x4 Ram... love the truck, but can hardly get it anywhere I need to go! (End up using my old TJ to do work on the ranch, that’s out in the forest/canyon/mountain boonies! The big Ram just can’t negotiate the tight/steep/rocky spaces!) Can’t wait to get my new Rubi LE ranch truck! ;{

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
This - Completely agree with XJ2JT's comment. Just get a Ford F150 Raptor, which is a really good truck and would suit all your needs. You might not be able to rock crawl with it but you can definitely take it to the dunes ;)

OP
OP
NORDNDED

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you get your deposit back??
Well, no.. my dealer is making excuses as to why he cannot refund it after it sells including that FCA won’t allow it.. yeah right, and this is directly from the general managers mouth.

Anyhow, I signed the paper so I’m guilty, I understand I’ll loose it and its 100% my fault. I’ve sent a lot of business their way, my BIL came with me the day I ordered the LE and bought a new JLU, but I cannot recommend them any longer to anyone after this experience in its entirety. I asked several other questions and for updates and have never gotten a response other than the time I was adamant and asked the same question 3x...

Ultimately, the 3k deposit lost is cheaper than the 65k OTD I would’ve regretted so oh well...

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Because for what he's wanting to do with it, which is add a lift and 35s and tow at high elevation, even a full size truck with a V8 making 75 more horsepower and 140 more lbs/ft of torque but also weighing 1,000 lbs. more will still struggle.

People have unrealistic expectations of pickup trucks, from what I'm seeing.

20 years ago, a V6 in a mid-size truck was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Today, a V6 making 70 more horsepower and 30 more lbs/ft of torque in the same size truck isn't "enough".
20 years ago people weren't trying to tow 5-6k lbs. at 70+mph with a mid-sized truck.
Sponsored