Sponsored

Canopy/rack mounted items with overhang - how much does the cab/bed move?

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Looking at mounting options for stuff on top of my canopy. My canopy is - awkward. Looking like I will have to do a direct mount to the canopy - which is fine by me. Except... I thought how much clearance there will be over the roof.

So I took a strait piece of metal. Looks like with something flat there will be a inch total clearance, but with how the product is designed the edges are about 1/4 to 1/2 lower than the baseplate, meaning clearance will be 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

What I dont know, is how much movement there is between the bed and cab. I know there is rotational movement - all trucks do it. But what about vertical movement?? No doubt there will be some - but enough for a 1/2" space to close and cause impact? That seems like an awful lot of movement to me but would like to not damage the hard top - I'm sure it's expensive to replace.

I have considered finding some type of rubber to fill the gap and add as a sort of 'bump stop' if you will. The overhang will be about 2' total, so not anywhere near what the alu-cab or go-fast overhang is.

Jeep Gladiator Canopy/rack mounted items with overhang - how much does the cab/bed move? IMG_0140

Jeep Gladiator Canopy/rack mounted items with overhang - how much does the cab/bed move? IMG_0139

Looking at the GFC site of customer install's - my option will be about half as much over the cab and a little less clearance than can be seen here - https://gofastcampers.com/blogs/pro-team/jeep-gladiator-4860
I think I will be ok, but still checking just in case.
Sponsored