Cant top off fuel tank

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I had this issue in my 20 Overland and it’s now showing up in my 21 Rubicon. If my fuel level is above the 7/8 mark - but not full- I can’t top-off the tank. It looks to be a gallon or two shy of showing full on the fuel gauge. This problem doesn’t present itself below the 7/8 mark. I’m not sure if this is a software bug or something with the fuel tank evap system. Has anyone else encountered this and gotten it resolved by a Jeep dealer?
Sponsored

Bpine

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Freedom Edition
Occupation
Maintenance
My 21 Gladiator started having a problem this weekend, Filled tank but came off full really fast then drove 50 miles and could only put in 3/4 of a gallon and fuel gauge at about 7/8 of a tank. Not sure what is going on.

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
Are you saying that you physically can't put fuel in the tank?

OR

Did you top it off and the fuel gauge not adjust?

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Tons of posts on this, its normal. Mine auto shuts off at 18.5 ish (when I have 30 miles left per the dash) but I can slam 21 gallons in there if I take my time.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The fuel Guage is not exact, it is not precise, and not quick responding. The fuel system appears to be designed to keep the driver from running the tank dry and damaging the pump. Over-filling the tank damages the evaporative Canister system.

I know that I can go about 400 miles on a tank of fuel. I fill it up when the Guage shows between a half and quarter full. I don't try to reconcile the gallons put in with the level or MPG shown on the dash. I don't let the tank get close to empty, just in case. If I have real concerns about fuel where I'm going, I fill up a can or two and take them with me.

I like driving my truck, not worrying about how much fuel it uses. I don't want to worry about an inaccurate fuel level stranding me, so I avoid letting the tank get that low.

Oh, and May is Mental Health Awareness Month.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
People should take a trip back in time and visit fuel gauges how they were even a few years ago.
Frankly, as long as it didn't run dry and the gauge still show 1/8 of a tank, I'd not sweat it not pegging the needle up against the top.
I'd bet no dealer, no shop, is going to see anything wrong.
I'm more concerned about the bottom 1/4 of a tank, not whether or not it shows above the F when the pump clicks off.
Maybe I'm getting old or something.

HopSlammer

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Mine does it, I assume it’s the EVAP system just doing what it’s supposed to be doing, stopping me from filling ‘er up to the lip.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
You do not want to top off the tank per say. Squeezing more gas in after the first click is damaging the EVAP system over a period of time. What happens is that the charcoal canister gets soaked in fuel from the vapors condensing in it, or from raw gas. Had this problem with my Power Wagon. Not a cheap fix. 10 mpg, 35 gallon tank. Find cheap gas and try to squeeze as much of it into the tank as I could. Came to bite me in the ass.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
You can go pretty far after range says "low". I was curious and drove around with a can of gasoline, but not curious enough to run it dry. Even then I barely got 20 gallons in before shutoff. I'm guesstimating at range "low", you still have around 3.5 gallons left in the tank.

the hiking viking

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gladiator Overland & '11 Wrangler JKU
I've owned my Gladiator for about 5 months now and just ONCE I filled up with over 19 gallons of gas at the pump. Just yesterday, DTE said 5 miles left when I stopped for gas and I only managed to get 18.7 gallons in on a cool day with temps in the 70s. So on paper... I had at least 3 gallons and about 45 miles available to me, not the 5 miles the dash was saying. Huh...

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
You can go pretty far after range says "low". I was curious and drove around with a can of gasoline, but not curious enough to run it dry. Even then I barely got 20 gallons in before shutoff. I'm guesstimating at range "low", you still have around 3.5 gallons left in the tank.
I know this isn’t the smartest thing but I had the same curiosity but less apprehension. So I got 93 miles between the low fuel light and the first indication of a fuel problem. That was with the cruise set at 70mph, flat interstate, 37” tires, 4.10 gears and a loaded vehicle sitting right at GVWR. YMMV

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado 1500 Custom/Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Occupation
Retired for now!
Here is what I found out with my 23 Gladiator. I would use up to about 1/8 to 1/4 of a full tank and then top off the tank again. I then filled it up one time and held the gas nozzle and tried to put more gas in it by clicking the nozzle 3 or 4 times. I normally just stopped it when the pump shut off the first time. Then I noticed that the indicator did not register full. It was somewhere between 7/8 and full. Again, I filled it up when it got to 3/4 of a tank. Same thing. It would not read full. So, I ran the tank down to about 1/4 of a tank and gassed it up and did not try to stuff more gas in it after the first shut off of the nozzle. Now it is reading at the full mark like it should, every time. I guess you can stuff too much gas in my Gladiator by clicking the nozzle over a few times after it first stops. It works perfect if you let it stop at the first automatic pump nozzle shut off. Now it reads accurately.
Hope I explained this correctly :whatsgoingon:

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Italian aren't well known for their electronic, along with it's a Jeep thing 😂

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Bumping this thread as I just picked up a new 2023 Mojave, when I get the 1st click I after filling my gas tank I usually call it good, but noticed on the 1st and now 2nd fill up it only reads that I have just over 3/4 of a tank on the gauge. I was able to squeeze in another 11 litres, or rougly 3 gallons of fuel in. Hoped the gauge would then read full but not so lucky.

My 2020 Overland did not have this issue, it would gladly accept a full tank of fuel. Same for my 2022 Mojave, no issues filling or with the reading.

Does anybody have experience with this scenario and have anything to suggest, or am I off to one of the local dealers? I need a gauge that is accurate as I do a lot of driving and often 100's of miles into Northern back country areas.

bgott

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys, 2006 Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
retired
There is a TSB ,14-006-23, that deals with the gauge not reading above 7/8s of a tank. They have to change out the fuel pump module and the fuel tank. Once they got mine straightened out this thing has the most accurate fuel mileage and range calculation, compared to hand calculated, that I've ever seen. I let the pump shut off by itself and don't top off.
Sponsored