Canyon Rim Trail, WV

N83

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I spent Easter weekend in WV with family but also got out to do some trail riding. I was near Davis, WV, so I did the obligatory Canaan Loop (always a funtime). In addition, I decided to try the Canyon Rim trail out of Douglas (near Blackwater Falls) since I had seen a few videos on Youtube about the trail. Most of the trail was what you'd expect from a typical mid-Atlantic 4x4 trail: big puddles, medium sized-rocks, and some nice views. As long as you have the clearance, you don't even need 4 wheel drive for the majority of it. I had mine in 4 just to be able to disconnect my front sway bar for the added comfort.

The exception to the above was a really sweet washout about halfway through the trail. I had no idea it was there, so it was a huge surprise. I came up on it and immediately thought it was time to turn around. I had told my wife "if I had a lift and 35's I'd try it for sure," lol. Well, after enough walking around and looking at the lines and rocks I decided to at least give it a go, because it seemed like something I could back out of if it got too hairy. Needess to say I ended up doing it and it was AWESOME. I don't have a rock crawler or anything (I'm at stock height with the factory MTs still) but I was soooo impressed with my Rubicon.

As you can see in the video below, I took it VERY slow as I was freaking out about flipping the Jeep over on the initial approach. I was monitoring the tilt gauge and saw a max of 21 degrees. I was telling my wife that I wish I knew the approximate number where I'd flip over, lol (I have since researched this and see it's likely 35 degrees or greater). Anyway, it was a HELLUVA time and I'm so glad I tried it! For any of you that will be in the area I highly recommend checking it out!

Sponsored

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
We came across this trail in January when visiting the sledding slope nearby.

Considering there was prob over a foot of snow in this portion, we decided against it! 😂

Now we HAVE TO go back!

Reactions: N83

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
was monitoring the tilt gauge and saw a max of 21 degrees. I was telling my wife that I wish I knew the approximate number where I'd flip over, lol (I have since researched this and see it's likely 35 degrees or greater)
I'm just now getting comfortable with 20° on a 3½" lift and 37s. I've done and do 25° and that is white-knuckling it, lol.
Recently, to help my own sense of spatial orientation I pulled the truck up on a 21° tilt and got out to look at it.
It definitely looks and feels much scarier in the vehicle.
After taking the pic I got back in and steered right just a bit to seat the tire in that shallow rut and saw 26° which felt like I was going over even though the photo shows a different story.

20220610_183738.jpg

Reactions: N83
OP
OP
N83

N83

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm just now getting comfortable with 20° on a 3½" lift and 37s. I've done and do 25° and that is white-knuckling it, lol.
Recently, to help my own sense of spatial orientation I pulled the truck up on a 21° tilt and got out to look at it.
It definitely looks and feels much scarier in the vehicle.
After taking the pic I got back in and steered right just a bit to seat the tire in that shallow rut and saw 26° which felt like I was going over even though the photo shows a different story.

Jeep Gladiator Canyon Rim Trail, WV 20220610_183738
Yeah, very deceiving!
Sponsored