Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
First world problems, but for my mall crawler/weekend warrier that I'll take camping and using to haul my boat, I'm wondering if I should get the Cargo Management on my Gladiator or the Safety Group. The safety group comes in more color options including Hydro, which I really like, but I can always add the bed rails later if I option for the safety group. The bed outlet would be nice for camping, and I could add a blind-spot mirror in place of the orange triangle on the mirror.

Anyone else had this dilemma?
Sponsored

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
I would probably go with the Safety group if I had to choose.

With Cargo Management the rails should be easy to add later or aftermarket if really want. There are some good inexpensive Molle options for inside the bed aftermarket vs. rails. The 12 volt outlet - many would rather have a DC outlet in that location and there are many threads on doing that here on the site. Last thing you miss is the underseat locking storage if that is important to you - you just get bins standard without cargo mgmt.

I personally wouldn't get a car if it didn't have blind spot detection.

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I am not really sure why this would be an either or situation. But I would rather have the active safety if I had to choose. Mine has Active Safety and Adaptive Cruise and I really like both. I did not get the Bed Management and at first I wish I had it but over time there has been less regret. I was able to get the rails from BuiltRight Industries. I thought the bed outlet would be great but after discovering that it automatically turns off after a limited amount of time making it less useful. I think a more powerful inverter run off the Aux switches would be more useful. The lockable underseat storage would be nice but hopefully there will be an aftermarket solution soon.

OP
OP
Gvsukids

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I am not really sure why this would be an either or situation. But I would rather have the active safety if I had to choose. Mine has Active Safety and Adaptive Cruise and I really like both. I did not get the Bed Management and at first I wish I had it but over time there has been less regret. I was able to get the rails from BuiltRight Industries. I thought the bed outlet would be great but after discovering that it automatically turns off after a limited amount of time making it less useful. I think a more powerful inverter run off the Aux switches would be more useful. The lockable underseat storage would be nice but hopefully there will be an aftermarket solution soon.
how long does the power last in the bed?

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Safety group. Many of the Cargo items can be added later much easier than safety group items.

Sponsored

busglad

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator-Overland (Billet Silver)
Occupation
US Federal Government Sr. Manager
I bought my Gladiator on 4/17 and would only look at Gladiators that have both. Both are advantageous to your ownership in different ways.

OP
OP
Gvsukids

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Unfortunately there are less choices when paired with Max tow and cold weather package.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
First world problems, but for my mall crawler/weekend warrier that I'll take camping and using to haul my boat, I'm wondering if I should get the Cargo Management on my Gladiator or the Safety Group. The safety group comes in more color options including Hydro, which I really like, but I can always add the bed rails later if I option for the safety group. The bed outlet would be nice for camping, and I could add a blind-spot mirror in place of the orange triangle on the mirror.

Anyone else had this dilemma?
I’m confused when you say the safety group comes in more color options. None of the option groups are tied to certain colors. If the site is showing that, it’s a mistake. You can order any of the option groups on any color.

You can also border both Of the ones you listed together on the same truck. Not an either/or.

OP
OP
Gvsukids

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I'm
I’m confused when you say the safety group comes in more color options. None of the option groups are tied to certain colors. If the site is showing that, it’s a mistake. You can order any of the option groups on any color.

You can also border both Of the ones you listed together on the same truck. Not an either/or.
I'm not ordering, I'm looking at buying off the lot. I like hydro, but the ones I've found don't have all the options, so I'm looking at making sacrifices.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
I can count the number of times I've used the in-bed outlet in my Ridgeline in the three years I've owned it on one hand, and it doesn't turn off after 30 minutes. A 400 watt non-pure sine wave inverter just isn't all that useful in everyday life.

@Gvsukids I'd go for the safety group, unless you REALLY want the lockable rear underseat storage bin (retails for $1,200). There's better and stronger aftermarket bed rail options (BuiltRight and Rebel Off Road), and as mentioned, the factory bed outlet is of limited utility.

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
FWIW, Weathertech offers a storage tray for under the JT rear seat (if not equipped with the covered, locking unit).

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
IMO the safety group isn't worth it. They're not 100% ready for prime time that you can rely on them in any way and false positives can be really bad if the truck will auto-brake (not sure if the JT does this). It also creates a large mass in the center of the windscreen that for me was in my line of sight at 6'1"

Adaptive cruise is nice but in prior experience in general, it's situational. It is very cautious with vehicle spacing and things like vehicles jumping in and out in front of you and roads without perfect lines can frequently trip the system up and make it to erratic things.

Cargo package, on the other hand, is extremely useful but again situational that you need a 3.5A bed socket that can't drive most power tools and want the locking under seat storage. If not, the rails are very cheap and easy to install after the sale.

Personally, I passed on both. Rails were under $300 and 20 minutes of my time and I have little need for anything else in either package.

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
IMO the safety group isn't worth it. They're not 100% ready for prime time that you can rely on them in any way and false positives can be really bad if the truck will auto-brake (not sure if the JT does this). It also creates a large mass in the center of the windscreen that for me was in my line of sight at 6'1"

Adaptive cruise is nice but in prior experience in general, it's situational. It is very cautious with vehicle spacing and things like vehicles jumping in and out in front of you and roads without perfect lines can frequently trip the system up and make it to erratic things.

Cargo package, on the other hand, is extremely useful but again situational that you need a 3.5A bed socket that can't drive most power tools and want the locking under seat storage. If not, the rails are very cheap and easy to install after the sale.

Personally, I passed on both. Rails were under $300 and 20 minutes of my time and I have little need for anything else in either package.
The adaptive cruise has a follow distance adjustment and I do keep it short in traffic. You do need to make a attitude adjustment with adaptive cruise and just chill a bit. If you are going to be an aggressive passer in traffic it is probably not worth using. The part I don't like is in stop and go traffic it will disengage after being stopped for more than just a few seconds. I have used other systems where this did not happen and I would much prefer that behavior. Hopefully there will be a firmware update for this in the future.

The active safety is great for lane change piece of mind. You still need to pay attention to everything around you but it is nice to have the secondary validation.

The more active collision braking did take a driver adjustment. On rural roads with people slowly turning off it engaged a few times when I was in no real danger of hitting anything. With a car turning off you assume it will not be there when you reach that point but I guess the system still sees an object that has not yet cleared your path and breaks. This is unnerving. I can see where this is probably tuned to have you avoid killing a person or bike rider you may not have seen. I just adjusted my driving style to be less aggressive tailgating and when possible swing wider around the vehicle pulling off.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I've got about 1100 miles of using the adaptive cruise at every opportunity possible. I turn it on before leaving my neighborhood. It works, really really well. It's especially great on the highway, predictably, but also great in random city traffic. I drove 700 miles with a trailer and loved being able to just chill out between the trucks, not worrying about speeding or trying to be the first one there. I arrived far more relaxed.

I've never had the active braking engage at all, but I keep a good distance and don't crowd people even if they are turning off too slowly for my taste.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The adaptive cruise has a follow distance adjustment and I do keep it short in traffic. You do need to make a attitude adjustment with adaptive cruise and just chill a bit. If you are going to be an aggressive passer in traffic it is probably not worth using. The part I don't like is in stop and go traffic it will disengage after being stopped for more than just a few seconds. I have used other systems where this did not happen and I would much prefer that behavior. Hopefully there will be a firmware update for this in the future.

The active safety is great for lane change piece of mind. You still need to pay attention to everything around you but it is nice to have the secondary validation.

The more active collision braking did take a driver adjustment. On rural roads with people slowly turning off it engaged a few times when I was in no real danger of hitting anything. With a car turning off you assume it will not be there when you reach that point but I guess the system still sees an object that has not yet cleared your path and breaks. This is unnerving. I can see where this is probably tuned to have you avoid killing a person or bike rider you may not have seen. I just adjusted my driving style to be less aggressive tailgating and when possible swing wider around the vehicle pulling off.
Your last paragraph is largely why I avoided it this time around. I took an extended test drive of about 80 miles with the system on the JT and it behaved similarly to my Tacoma. Didn't test the collision avoidance but I did notice the adaptive cruise behaved very similarly with how much it slowed for others getting into my lane and how slowly it began accelerating again. In scenarios where it was most valuable to me, I always ended up having to switch it off because of how overly-cautious the system will be.

The worst part is the PTSD from when collision avoidance would kick in over a false positive (e.g. temp barrier barrel on the outside of a turn, sloppy lane lines in construction zones, an overpass somehow...) and panic slam on the brakes. I almost got creamed by a Ram 3500 at 75mph in the overpass incident. When I used it, I felt like I was forcing myself to be hyper-aware to be ready to act because I flat out did not feel like I could trust these systems - it left me more fatigued on long drives.

I ended up going back to standard cruise in the Tacoma and I do the same now. I don't miss it in the slightest and that was a sizeable chunk of change saved.
Sponsored