Catalytic Converter Armor

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I know there are a bunch of companies that sell underbody armor which most folks get for offroading. But I am thinking of maybe just buying a specific piece that would cover the area around the Catalytic Converter. I know from past discussions some mentioned that Jeeps are harder to get to. But man they have been having such a rash of cats getting stolen around here it's crazy. My office just got hit again for the second time. 4 more cars in daylight. They already have a security person but these guys hit so fast no one saw anything other than on the cameras. I currently am not going into the office much but next month will likely have to start going in more. Also out here in the neighborhoods they are getting hit more and more often. My jeep sits outside as does my daughter's car which I will have to get something for hers. Talked to the local deputy and he was saying there are so many being stolen. They have been hitting the Tundra's hard and hybrids as well.
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
The cats are up high by the exhaust manifolds, so getting to the top of them to cut them out is going to be difficult. These thieves are looking for quick & easy. Has anyone here actually been the victim of converter theft on a JT or JL?

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The cats are up high by the exhaust manifolds, so getting to the top of them to cut them out is going to be difficult. These thieves are looking for quick & easy. Has anyone here actually been the victim of converter theft on a JT or JL?
I have not heard of any around here. Its mostly been Tundra, Hybrids and a mix of other cars. I just really don't want to be the one to find out and have to deal with that mess.

Sponsored

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
They are using Sawzall and angle grinders. Not much is going to stop them.

They cut my exhaust to pieces along with 5 other trucks at my dealership along with 42 more cats at the Honda dealer next door.

Most of the cat "protection" stuff is snake oil.

Gunrunner72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ, 2002 HD Deuce, 2013 Corvette Z06, 2015 F-350, 2016 HD StreetGlide, 1980 CJ-7(sold), 1989 Cherokee(sold), 1985 CJ-7(sold)
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey
I like how the irs wants to see our individual transactions but the government won’t act on the folks buying these cats and/or their materials.
The government, in all its wisdom, would probably argue that the thieves are helping the environment by "redistributing" those stolen cats.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
The government, in all its wisdom, would probably argue that the thieves are helping the environment by "redistributing" those stolen cats.
Don't forget about the tax credit for turning in those old dirty cats.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

They cut my exhaust to pieces along with 5 other trucks at my dealership along with 42 more cats at the Honda dealer next door.

Yea I just want them to at least maybe see it and say nah not worth it lot easier targets

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I'm not sure which model but yea those Hondas are getting hit. It might be a hybrid model as the deputy told me they are targeting hybrids heavy.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element

kad's_Glad

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mojave - Sting Gray
Occupation
Retired
Honda Element and Toyota Prius are #1 & #2 in the Seattle area. But they’re branching out and hitting anything these days. And I mean anything.

Reactions: BAT

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
I'm not sure which model but yea those Hondas are getting hit. It might be a hybrid model as the deputy told me they are targeting hybrids heavy.
That's because hybrids have a larger quantity of precious metals in them. This is due to the nature of the hybrid engines, and how they do not run continuously, so the engine temperature may not be as hot as a regular ICE vehicle, so they have to do more processing... at least, that's my understanding.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
This is actually of interest to me. That tube turn part is easily hit on trails.
I have one on my JK to protect the exhaust loop. It is a nice piece. The only issue is that, since it only has 2 mounting points, it can get bent upward on big hits. If you are running other skids plates, you should be able to get creative and customize the loop skid to tie it into the engine/trans skid. I had to do that on my JK. I can post some pics of what I did on my JK if you are interested.
Sponsored