CB or Ham, the better route?

Lucifer

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Trying to figure out which is the better way to go. Opinions please.
Sponsored

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Actually I think FRS/GMRS. Jeep Jamboree is switching over to FRS. GMRS uses the same freqs but allows more power. GMRS only requires a $70 license fee. The license is good for ten years. FRS doesn't need a license. HAM is even better but requires passing a test which many people do not want to study for. CB is dying.

In the end it really depends on who you are wheeling with and what they use. In an emergency situation.. HAM all the way.

Last edited:

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
Ham is by far the way to go if your crew is willing to take time to study & test. GMRS is a great option if testing is an issue. Midland has some decent mobile units that have a lot of power. FRS and CB are awful once you’ve used the more powerful handhelds and mobile units of Ham & GMRS. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
Lucifer

Lucifer

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I'm not getting into it to communicate with a bunch of people. we just want something as an emergency backup to the possibility of our phones not working

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I'm not getting into it to communicate with a bunch of people. we just want something as an emergency backup to the possibility of our phones not working
Then you want Ham. Here in Colorado, there’s soo many repeaters it’s easy to get someone on the line.

here’s a true story. I had a group of fellow 4wd club members take a week trip near the Colorado/Utah border. They had to do a creek crossing on their trail and that day the water was flowing. First 2 rigs made it across, the 3rd didn’t. It got swept away down stream, the driver did get out but they were definitely in a pickle with a vehicle in water downstream. They all checked their phones for signal, nope. They tried cb on multiple channels, nope. They tried grms and frs, nothing. Luckily one guy had one of those cheap ham radios... bingo got someone first try.

I recently picked up a hand held ham radio. I’ll take the test eventually but at least I have it when I need help.

But I also have a CB in my vehicle for comms while on the trail. Generally I like to tail gun or trial groups and our trail leaders are required to have cb at least in their vehicle when we have club trail runs.

Sponsored

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Yep HAM all the way. I have a HAM radio mounted in my JT. I turn it on and listen almost every time I go anywhere wheeling or not. There is always someone yapping (rag chewing) on the radio. And there are even more people like me just listening. Here in SoCal and there are plenty of repeaters, so you can potentially reach out to someone hundreds or thousands of miles away.

I also have FRS/GMRS. I rarely hear anyone on it. I’ve tried calling people, no response. FRS doesn’t use repeaters and GMRS has a few, but they are MUCH less active than HAM. If you go with GMRS, check your area for repeaters. I think in time, FRS/GMRS will become more popular.

I keep a CB with me in case I’m with someone who doesn’t have GMRS or HAM.

There’s a few good threads in the Wrangler forums on this subject. :like:

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Get what works for your situation and needs.

Personally, I have two radios mounted to the rail on my dash.
The first is a 10/11/12 meter radio that has multiple mode settings. In mode “D”, it runs CB frequency (11 meter) and channels (1-40) only which is where I leave it most of the time. Works great for prearranged communication with a group for vehicle to vehicle awareness on the trail but range is the problem for emergencies away from the highways or cities. It also works great when traveling to communicate with trucks on the highway. When pulling the camper on a trip, it’s nice to know ahead of time if there’s an accident or poor road conditions ahead.
Second radio is a 2m/70cm dual band ham radio. This one requires a ham license, but has a lot more punch and range available (on high power, I can hit many miles away). I chose the one I have because as others have said, more people are moving towards FRS and GMRS (including Jeep Jamboree) and the one I have has the frequency range to tune into FRS and GMRS channels (just outside the 70cm frequency).
So... I have my 2 meter/440 ham radio but can also drop to low power and tune into the FRS frequency that the little walkie talkies use. AND I have a CB radio for interstate trips and trail rides with groups that use those on the trail.

My suggestion would be get a cheap one of each (CB & FRS) and once you figure out which one YOU use more with YOUR trail riding group or travels, then you can upgrade from there. Handhelds are cheap. FRS walkie talkies can be picked up at any BestBuy and CB’s can be picked up at Walmart or any truck stop for less than $50 for a cheap uniden or midland. Don’t get drawn into the trap of spending over $100 for a nicer radio if you might never use it. Get the cheap one to start, it’ll still work at the short ranges of a group ride.

OP
OP
Lucifer

Lucifer

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
we have two hand held HAM radios. We're gonna program the family channels and probably just go with that, being's that seems to be the new norm. My dad used to have a big cb home station when i was a kid, so i just figured it was still popular, but i guess not. I appreciate all the reply's

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
The best answer will depend on your particular situation. Bear in mind that anyone, even the unlicensed, can use a ham radio to call for help in an emergency. But ham radios cover a wide spectrum of frequencies, and each has limitations that affect their usefulness in different scenarios. If you were on the Dempster Highway north of the Arctic Circle, a typical 2M/70CM radio that a technician class licensee might have won't do you much good. You need an HF radio capable of operation on multiple bands (so you can find what's open--that is, what the sun is letting you work from your location) and appropriate antenna (think big and different sizes depending on band). A Garmin InReach would be a better answer. As mentioned, if you're in some place with reliable repeaters, then the 2M/70CM radio (and maybe GMRS, since repeaters are allowed, just not common) would do you well. CB, FRS and GMRS are less useful due to the lack of repeaters, though CB can sometimes get long range, depending again on the sun. Those "depending on the sun" statements suggests something: The ability to establish and maintain comms on HF depends a great deal on the operator's experience.

Bottom line: If you want reliable comm for travel to remote locations, get an InReach for text, or a buy, lease or rent a Sat Phone for voice.

Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
My club tried to go to Ham starting 2008 but we never got to 50% mostly due to cost and having to study and take the license test.

CB's on the trail just suck. None of them are the same and some of that is due to poor installations.

In 2018 my club tested out Midland MicroMobile GMRS radios ranging from 5 watts to 40 watts on a three week 2900 mile overland trail (Heart of the West or HOW). After that we started hanging up the CBs and required all 150 members to switch to 15 watt or better GMRS radios to go on trips. We went 100% GMRS Jan 1, 2020 and we have no complaints anymore about not being able to hear or understand anyone in the group.

LIke one of the first posts said, Jeep Jamboree has gone to GMRS and so have a number of clubs and the side by side people. Even found truckers on GMRS 19 on I-40. Lots of GMRS in TX too.

FRS is way too under powered and using one inside the cab of a Jeep would be just as bad as using a CB. Same with the GMRS hand helds inside the cab, 1 mile average range. The 15 watt and 40 watt MicroMobiles have Ham performance on the 8 high power channels. On the trail the 15 watt range tends to be 5 to 12 miles depending on terrain and the 40 watt 10 to 20 miles. Every transmission is crystal clear like Ham.

I still have my Ham because it is probably the best option for off roading, especially if you have a unit capable HF but most have dual band radios.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Rumor mill has it they are doing away with HAM repeaters. I think Commiefornia has cancelled upkeep and said they are no longer necessary. Guess they want to isolate us from the rest of the world.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Rumor mill has it they are doing away with HAM repeaters. I think Commiefornia has cancelled upkeep and said they are no longer necessary. Guess they want to isolate us from the rest of the world.
FAKE News ! States do not own or operate repeaters, they are owned and maintained primarily by Ham clubs, private individuals and the ARA.

They are highly used all over the country and they are not going away anytime soon

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
I'm studied up. Passed the ham Technician practice tests.

I'll take the real test as soon as its available to take online. Not going to spend my day driving out to a little 'official test room' just to sit for a 35 question test that will take me 15 mins. What is this -- the Dark Ages??

Hopefully, ham testing gets dragged into the 20th century soon. You know, they have these things called "computers" and "internets" and everything nowadays, right guys?

Sorry -- rant over! :)

I'm planning on using both GMRS (yep, got that license already) because the radios are cheap and easy to use, and ham for... well... TEOTWAWKI and just because I'm interested I guess.

(edited: corrected "ham" terms -- thanks wannajeep!)

Last edited:

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Radio "ham" is not an acronym so no need to put it in all caps.

If you're looking to use it to communicate with other jeepers on a trail run, there won't be many to talk to. CB may be dead according to some but it's cheap, easy and works well if the group is tight.

For backup/emergency communications when your phone dies I'd go with VHF ham. There's usually a repeater within range but just do your homework ahead of time to know what repeaters are close to where you'll be.
Sponsored