First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone done this yet? Im looking for replacement kit but cant seem to find anything out there!
Sponsored

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Has anyone done this yet? Im looking for replacement kit but cant seem to find anything out there!
Check out these amber KC Hilites fogs (they also make them for the steel bumper). Alternatively for $10 or so you can get some yellow Lamin-X film for the stock lights.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
I installed the Lamin-X on my JL, it was okay. I bought the KC Hilites kit during their Black Friday sale (20% off). They have kits for plastics or steel bumper, the steel bumper kit is a little more money as it includes brackets.

I plan to do a comparison as I was unable to find any comparisons or photos of the difference between the factory LEDs and these. I was able to find a comparison between these and Baja Designs and the cutoff on the KC Hilites lights are much better.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I installed the Lamin-X on my JL, it was okay. I bought the KC Hilites kit during their Black Friday sale (20% off). They have kits for plastics or steel bumper, the steel bumper kit is a little more money as it includes brackets.

I plan to do a comparison as I was unable to find any comparisons or photos of the difference between the factory LEDs and these. I was able to find a comparison between these and Baja Designs and the cutoff on the KC Hilites lights are much better.
I'll be very interested to see your comparison. I am very close to pulling the trigger on the KCs.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Why go to amber? It's a fallacy that they actually do better. They look cool and a lot of companies make money marketing amber lights as better - but unless they are actually selective yellow lights......

Factory installed aren't worth much at all really but they are an "I feel better with them" thing so we all get them when we order the vehicle.

This guy is an automotive lighting consultant -
https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

Good (and legal) fog lamps may produce white or Selective Yellowlight—it is the beam pattern, not the light colour, that defines a fog lamp—and most of them use tungsten-halogen bulbs though there are some legitimate (and a lot of illegitimate) LED fog lamps beginning to appear. Xenon or HID bulbs are inherently unsuitable for use in fog lamps, and blue or other-colored lights are also the wrong choice.

The fog lamps' job is to show you the edges of the road, the lane markings, and the immediate foreground. When used in combination with the headlamps, good fog lamps weight the overall beam pattern towards the foreground so that even though there may be a relatively high level of upward stray light from the headlamps causing glareback from the fog or falling rain or snow, there will be more foreground light than usual without a corresponding increase in upward stray light, giving back some of the vision you lose to precipitation.

What is "selective yellow" light?

It is a particular kind of yellow light that was required from all road illumination lamps on vehicles in France for many years. Light appears (more or less) white when it contains a mix of all the colours—red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. By removing (filtering) the blue, indigo, and violet out of white light, we get selective yellow light. It is not the same as the more orange colour called "yellow" or "amber" used for vehicle turn signals, side marker lights, and (in some countries) clearance and front position or "parking" lights.

Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The factory LED fog lights reflect light off of wet roads and snow which causes glare and the inability to see lane lines, etc. Lights that are selective yellow do not reflect the light and reduce glare. There is a clear benefit to selective color lights, selective color lights refer to a narrow range of temperature which produces the yellow hue.

The Lamin-X does not produce a true yellow and has a greenish hue to it, the KC Hilites “amber” fog lights produce the color with the LED chips and not lens color.

The following forum link is a thread on fog lights with excellent comparisons of most fog lights available with true measurements with regard to Lux, lumen, color temperature, beam pattern, etc. and is a great read.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-led-sae-j583-fog-pod-fog-light-review.554813/

Hope this helps.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The factory LED fog lights reflect light off of wet roads and snow which causes glare and the inability to see lane lines, etc. Lights that are selective yellow do not reflect the light and reduce glare. There is a clear benefit to selective color lights, selective color lights refer to a narrow range of temperature which produces the yellow hue.

The Lamin-X does not produce a true yellow and has a greenish hue to it, the KC Hilites “amber” fog lights produce the color with the LED chips and not lens color.

The following forum link is a thread on fog lights with excellent comparisons of most fog lights available with true measurements with regard to Lux, lumen, color temperature, beam pattern, etc. and is a great read.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-led-sae-j583-fog-pod-fog-light-review.554813/

Hope this helps.
Pretty much reflects what I was showing and what the link I posted said. The factory lights are far from ideal. The best ones have a good beam pattern and the light color (not amber via a pretty amber lens) are selective yellow, targeted color to reduce the reflection from wet roads.
LUX is lumens per specific area. You can put out a bazillion lumens but if it's scattered high and wide it won't matter. LUX is good for comparing as it shows the light in a given area, not total light output.
A light with 1,000 lumens may be of less use than one that puts out 800 lumens (just grabbing numbers) if the latter puts the light where it's needed and the 1,000 lumens ends up in places that don't help. Thus - LUX

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

Do you have have the link for the kc’s? I was looking for the light bracket that fits the steel bumper in front of the hoop.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

Hope this helps.
That thread on the Taco forum was pretty informative. I almost bought the KCs 4 times yesterday. The only thing stopping me is the little devil on my shoulder that says the Rigid 360 SAE selective yellow or the Baja Designs SAE fogs will have better output. I don't think Rigid Industries has a plug and play kit for the JT/JL like KC does, either. The price on the KCs is definitely more attractive than the others...

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That thread on the Taco forum was pretty informative. I almost bought the KCs 4 times yesterday. The only thing stopping me is the little devil on my shoulder that says the Rigid 360 SAE selective yellow or the Baja Designs SAE fogs will have better output. I don't think Rigid Industries has a plug and play kit for the JT/JL like KC does, either. The price on the KCs is definitely more attractive than the others...
I have debated Baja Designs vs KC Hilites for almost a year (been looking at both for the JL prior to buying the Gladiator), it would have been easier if there was a direct comparison between the factory LED fog lights and the others. Until BD fixes their lens issue they are not on my list. The warranty on the BD and KC lights can not be beat if they honor it.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have debated Baja Designs vs KC Hilites for almost a year (been looking at both for the JL prior to buying the Gladiator), it would have been easier if there was a direct comparison between the factory LED fog lights and the others. Until BD fixes their lens issue they are not on my list. The warranty on the BD and KC lights can not be beat if they honor it.
Agreed. I wish there was some comparison to the Mopar fogs but obviously that isn't going to happen on a Taco forum. I have eliminated Baja designs from consideration. It seems they have had some major issues getting something that is actually SAE compliant to market.

The Rigid Industries 360 series SAE fogs look amazing. They are my favorite for sure but they are pricey and there aren't any plug and play kits available for JL/JT fog lights.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I installed amber Supernova V.4 bulbs in mine from Headlight Revolution. I've spent thousands on my Jeeps and these fogs are my #1 favorite mod. HUGE difference, especially in foul weather.

Greg75

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, BMW M2 Competition, MBZ 560 SL, Ducati 851, Ducati 900 SS
Baja Designs amber Squadron R - plug and play. They work extremely well for me. Hard to tell from my pics, but the BDs give me a much wider view and do not reflect back or glare at me in snow or fog, IME.

Pictures show lights installed; view with headlights; view with headlights and BD Squadrons.
5C4447EA-F013-4E28-AECA-2CBEAF5BA754.jpeg
0BE159DA-EB65-402F-8A37-8B6F0AEF6B6B.jpeg
DBD124B5-6CE9-413C-91A9-EB7D918FEE43.jpeg
Sponsored