Check Engine light at 6600 miles

DawnViola

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2023 Wrangler
I have a 2020 with the 3.6. After an easy drive on some old logging roads today the check engine light came on. I didn’t seem to run any differently. Also, I noticed quite a bit of steam coming from the front but the temperature gauge didn’t move. Guess I am going to be spending some time at the dealer tomorrow.

E008D9AB-A19D-4D64-A0F9-A5FE05461975.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

OP
OP
DawnViola

DawnViola

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you look under the hood?
Yes. I didn’t see anything that stood out other than steam coming from the passenger side of the radiator near the top. I have little to no mechanical skills so wouldn’t even really know what I am looking for.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Do not go by that temperature gauge - go to the off-road pages or change the cluster to show you the REAL temperature of the coolant.
That gauge is a go/no-go gauge and doesn't move much at all. It's not an accurate tell of the real temperature. You can scroll to the gauges in your center cluster by using the left steering wheel up and down buttons. You can see coolant temp, trans temp (if automatic) oil temp, tire pressure, voltage.

And yeah, look under the hood otherwise we're looking for needles in 100 hay stacks and simply tossing out guesses! Can't diagnose with the "my light came on" -it's like calling the doctor and saying "my head hurts, do I have the flu"

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I didn’t see anything that stood out other than steam coming from the passenger side of the radiator near the top. I have little to no mechanical skills so wouldn’t even really know what I am looking for.
Why not contact a dealer?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Did you ford any water? If so, the steam is probably just from the water evaporating off of hot under hood components. Too bad you don't have access to an obdii scanner.

JeepTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bright White Willys.
You can go to Autozone if there is one close and on your way to the dealer. Autozone will let you borrow a code reader and then they can give you a print out showing what codes occurred. At least then you know what code(s) generated prior to your dealer visit.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can go to Autozone if there is one close and on your way to the dealer. Autozone will let you borrow a code reader and then they can give you a print out showing what codes occurred. At least then you know what code(s) generated prior to your dealer visit.
Very true - but won't the dealer do the same? I guess knowing ahead of time could be helpful.........
First thing they do here is plug in, look for any codes, and gather all of the info from the vehicle that is put into the form on their tablet when you check in.
Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc. will read for free and at leave give an idea on the seriousness prior to said visit.

JeepTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bright White Willys.
Very true - but won't the dealer do the same? I guess knowing ahead of time could be helpful.........
First thing they do here is plug in, look for any codes, and gather all of the info from the vehicle that is put into the form on their tablet when you check in.
Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc. will read for free and at leave give an idea on the seriousness prior to said visit.
Yep. The dealer definitely will pull codes. I like knowing / learning. The times I've taken any of my vehicles to the dealer, I typically do a little research prior to dropping off to make sure they repair the problem(s). I do a quick search to see what the code(s) is/are so I have an idea what I'm dealing with.

I usually do all work on my vehicles since most I have purchased were used with no factory warranty left over. The few vehicles I've purchased that had warranty, I let the dealer monkey with them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DawnViola

DawnViola

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update- I took it into the dealer and the code is something with air/fuel mixture mix. It has thrown the code twice. I left it at the dealer and they are hoping to squeeze it in this week.

OP
OP
DawnViola

DawnViola

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They reset the light and it didn’t go off during their test drive. Guess I will see how many miles before it happens again.

4D03851B-29F6-4876-AC9C-4DDF47CEBCB7.jpeg

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Your dealership service department is a bunch of hacks if all they did is reset the check engine light and did a test drive.

P219B is a incorrect air to fuel ratio code. That could be a few things like a intake and or exhaust leak, PCV, bad 02 sensor or MAF to name a few. If they did not hook up a scan tool to monitor on the test drive the parameters for these various systems to see one is on the margins or showing erratic data, they are bunch of hacks and no better than the Parts Store employee code readers.

I hate these dealer techs that only want to wait for a hard fault to show before they do something.

OP
OP
DawnViola

DawnViola

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Light came back on at 7020 miles and it ran a bit rough. Called the dealership and have an appointment for Feb 1st. This evening, at 7079 miles, no light. I am keeping track of the mileage of when it goes on and off to give to the dealer.
Sponsored