First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tech Support/semi retired
My check engine light was on, took it in and was told they did a software upgrade, it was a misfire code. Two days later, it's back on. Calling the dealer tomorrow, this is the third time, getting tired of it.
Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Before taking it to the dealer, you should be able to get that code read at most auto parts stores. Find out the code, then do a bit of research on what it is and what the fixes could be. Then you can talk to the service manager from a point of knowledge. Knowing what the exact issue is, you may then realize that there were other symptoms that you'd been ignoring. Saying something like, "This is the second time in a week I've had a #2 cylinder misfire light, and when accelerating, the engine seems to have a miss", is more helpful to the service department than just asking them to fix your CEL.

OP
OP

bg725

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Before taking it to the dealer, you should be able to get that code read at most auto parts stores. Find out the code, then do a bit of research on what it is and what the fixes could be. Then you can talk to the service manager from a point of knowledge. Knowing what the exact issue is, you may then realize that there were other symptoms that you'd been ignoring. Saying something like, "This is the second time in a week I've had a #2 cylinder misfire light, and when accelerating, the engine seems to have a miss", is more helpful to the service department than just asking them to fix your CEL.
I appreciate all the advice but I think all that research is the service departments job, not mine. I got my truck back, magically the check engine light is off and they couldn't get it to come back on. It was on when i took it in, I left it running so they could verify it. Kept my car for 5 days but claim the light never came back on. I contacted Jeep, I now have a case number. If the light comes on again I have been instructed to call Jeep, give them my case number and they will tell what to do at that point.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate all the advice but I think all that research is the service departments job, not mine. I got my truck back, magically the check engine light is off and they couldn't get it to come back on. It was on when i took it in, I left it running so they could verify it. Kept my car for 5 days but claim the light never came back on. I contacted Jeep, I now have a case number. If the light comes on again I have been instructed to call Jeep, give them my case number and they will tell what to do at that point.
I believe he's suggesting that you arm yourself with a little research and knowledge. I've found with modern vehicles that a code isn't necessarily black and white and can mean many things .... having a bit of knowledge can help to steer a tech in a particular direction minimizing some of the back and forth. Unless the vehicle is presenting obvious symptoms at the time of diagnosis by the tech there isn't much they can do. If you are able to present solid info at time of service sometimes that can steer them a particular direction that might be outside of their systems SOP that will resolve the issue.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I see you work in tech support. I'm sure you know that the more, and more accurate, info a customer can provide you on a problem, the easier it is to help them resolve it. It isn't any different for a vehicle. Plus, when the service manager sees that you're armed with info, the less likely you are to get the run-around. BTW, did you check out the thread that was linked above? If not, you should. You'll find there are some pretty heavy-duty repairs (head rebuilds and replacements), as well as some lemon law buybacks. You might want to also be armed with knowledge of your state's lemon law--most have a pretty short duration, then you own it regardless of the problems it may have.

OP
OP

bg725

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I see you work in tech support. I'm sure you know that the more, and more accurate, info a customer can provide you on a problem, the easier it is to help them resolve it. It isn't any different for a vehicle. Plus, when the service manager sees that you're armed with info, the less likely you are to get the run-around. BTW, did you check out the thread that was linked above? If not, you should. You'll find there are some pretty heavy-duty repairs (head rebuilds and replacements), as well as some lemon law buybacks. You might want to also be armed with knowledge of your state's lemon law--most have a pretty short duration, then you own it regardless of the problems it may have.
Light came on again, two days after i picked it up. It stayed on for 3 days then went out. I talked with Chrysler, we agreed that I will take it to a different dealer later this month. They also assure me that i will have a wrangler as a loaner vehicle and the dealer will keep the truck as long as it takes to figure it out. The stored code is always the same, multiple cylinder misfire. This is my 4th time back to a dealer. I want it fixed or I want them to take it back. Really disappointed, i have driven Wranglers since 94 and have had no issues, I love the brand, I've owned 9 of them.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Light came on again, two days after i picked it up. It stayed on for 3 days then went out. I talked with Chrysler, we agreed that I will take it to a different dealer later this month. They also assure me that i will have a wrangler as a loaner vehicle and the dealer will keep the truck as long as it takes to figure it out. The stored code is always the same, multiple cylinder misfire. This is my 4th time back to a dealer. I want it fixed or I want them to take it back. Really disappointed, i have driven Wranglers since 94 and have had no issues, I love the brand, I've owned 9 of them.
I hope you get this worked out. The Gladiator is a great vehicle when it all comes together.
Sponsored