Sponsored

Check Your Cabin Air Filter!

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If you haven't checked it, do it soon.

I have low miles on my 2020, just over 12,000. MOPAR recommended interval for cabin air filter is 20,000.

I live in central Indiana, not a high dust area. My cabin air filter was almost black and pretty damned full of crap.

FYI, the WIX filter is the exact match, has the exact same labeling as the MOPAR filter except it doesn't say MOPAR. A further FYI, the engine air filter is also a WIX, all labeling the same except no MOPAR on it.
Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
If you haven't checked it, do it soon.

I have low miles on my 2020, just over 12,000. MOPAR recommended interval for cabin air filter is 20,000.

I live in central Indiana, not a high dust area. My cabin air filter was almost black and pretty damned full of crap.

FYI, the WIX filter is the exact match, has the exact same labeling as the MOPAR filter except it doesn't say MOPAR. A further FYI, the engine air filter is also a WIX, all labeling the same except no MOPAR on it.
It’s actually every 15,000

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
It’s actually every 15,000
The actual service schedule has the cabin air filter replacement marked at 20k, 40k, 60k, 80k, and so on. It's in 20,000 mile / 2 year intervals. I believe the text verbiage is "15-30k miles". In dusty/dirty conditions you need to do it more frequently.

I think OP's problem is he maxed out on the years. Time is just as much of an influence as mileage. I'm sure you could find some 3 year old trucks with only 5k miles that have gross air filters. They get gross over time.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't done this to my Jeep and honestly dont' know how hard it is to get to. But on my previous vehicles, every time I changed the oil, I removed the filter and tapped all the large stuff out of the filter.

Just tapping it on a hard surface will remove 75% of what's in there.

John Hursh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Beermeister
Bought one on Amazon. Watched a replacement video on my IPad. Easy task that took less than 3 minutes. At 20,000 it was dirty. Dont pay a dealer to replace it - so easy to DIY!

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Good to know, although at least from what I see, the Mopar cabin filter (68301863AA) is 30% cheaper than the Wix one (WP10371).

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't done this to my Jeep and honestly dont' know how hard it is to get to. But on my previous vehicles, every time I changed the oil, I removed the filter and tapped all the large stuff out of the filter.

Just tapping it on a hard surface will remove 75% of what's in there.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy to replace.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW, that video promotes the K&N filter. Been a huge fan of K&N for 40yrs, but I stuck with oem for this application. My reasons being that unlike an engine, I personally breath the air through this filter. IDK how much pollen, mold and other airborne pathogens this filter may trap that don't simply wash out. I'd rather just replace it every year.

That, and the K&N cabin filter is almost 4x the cost of the OEM. So at the recommended intervals, the break-even point is 8yrs or 80,000 miles. So, what, ya need to put 120,000 miles on the truck to save $18? Again, with all the potentially toxic crap this filter traps and then passes the air I breath right over, I think I'd rather replace it.

Sponsored

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah change these things. Especially if you have allergies. I check mine every 5000 miles if it’s not dirty i bang it out. When it’s too dirty I replace it.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
The actual service schedule has the cabin air filter replacement marked at 20k, 40k, 60k, 80k, and so on. It's in 20,000 mile / 2 year intervals. I believe the text verbiage is "15-30k miles". In dusty/dirty conditions you need to do it more frequently.

I think OP's problem is he maxed out on the years. Time is just as much of an influence as mileage. I'm sure you could find some 3 year old trucks with only 5k miles that have gross air filters. They get gross over time.
-you can usually tell by the smell when it gets humid outside that it's time for a refresh... rockauto.com WIX WP10371 Electrostatic; w/ Microban Antimicrobial Coating

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-you can usually tell by the smell when it gets humid outside that it's time for a refresh... rockauto.com WIX WP10371 Electrostatic; w/ Microban Antimicrobial Coating
Rock Auto is usually my first spot to look up parts numbers, but they don't list the Wix as an option for the 2021 even though Wix themselves does, and they stock the Wix number.
Jeep Gladiator Check Your Cabin Air Filter! 1647709086948

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
since the cabin filters are relatively cheap, I change mine every oil change.

with oil change I do the following:
Change oil (obviously)
Rotate tires
Inspect wheels, valve valve cover for damage
Check intake filter ( not just dirt but the damn critters can get in there)
Change cabin filter
Check power steering fluid
Check break fluid
Check suspension hardware
Check for any signs of leaks
Check washer fluid
Check coolant
Pop the fuse box open check seating
Inspect battery
Op check all lights
Inspect wiper blades
Apply thin film of molly to striker plates on doors and tail gate