Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Weeks after I got my JT I did a test to see how it could handle weight out back, as if there was a heavy trailer hooked up. It did poorly. So I put max tow springs under the rear - and 3/4 spacers all the way around. It sits a bit differently than it did when I hauled my trailer EMPTY to Omaha to get some old dealership signs.
So I decided to set the truck by the trailer tongue and check heights and such.
I did this for the rear hitch of course but wondered about the front as this receiver sits a lot farther back than the other one I had under the front end before.
So I need a longer ball mount for the front - 11" center to center.
Now about the rear...........
I weighed the trailer tongue - trailer empty I got 350 pounds tongue weight.
I measured the height of the truck without the trailer hooked up. The ground wasn't real even back where the trailer is but - ground up to wheel well opening 36.75". Measured at the bumper - ground to top of bumper step area (the center low part) - 21.5"

Trailer hooked up - tongue on ball, that is - ground to fender opening - 36" and ground to top of bumper center - 20.25"

So the 350 pounds of tongue weight dropped it only about 1" at the wheels and 1.25" at the bumper.
The springs made a big difference in how it sits with weight on it.

The trailer empty sat with the front up just a bit.
My opinion, once a car is on it, and I have the tongue weight of about 500 pounds, the trailer may sit level.
(trailer empty is 1600 with tool box, tools, spare tire. Add 3200 pound car and trailer loaded would be 4800 pounds. 10% roughly480 - I'll call it 500)

So it sits like this with 350 pound tongue weight, eventual tongue weight will be ~500.

Now to find a ball mount that has two positions - 11" center to center when it's in the front receiver, and the more normal roughly 7.5" when used in the rear. Don't want it farther back than that in the rear when towing. Want to keep the ball closer to the bumper.

Trailer sitting level, NOT hooked up -

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount 20210706_142417_HDR

Trailer level, this much difference but the weight of the loaded trailer should drop the truck enough to make the trailer pull level -

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount 20210706_142432_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount 20210706_142409_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount 20210706_142400_HDR

Trailer connected - tongue weight 350 pounds -

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount 20210706_142936_HDR

On ball, hooked up, trailer front sits up some -

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount 20210706_142931_HDR

Trailer sitting level, difference in height - think it should settle to roughly level with a car on it and hooked up.

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount 20210706_142454_HDR

I have the mount slid out to mark and measure how kind of distance I need between ball hole and hole in receiver - definitely need 11" to get the ball out this far from the bumper.

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount 20210706_141653_HDR
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If you have a custom hitch shop close to you, and if you have enough room on the rear to accept the added length, they can make you a hitch with two sets of holes so you can use it in either position.

I haven't checked the factory receiver for clearance for a longer hitch tail so I don't know if it's feasible.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
@kevman65 has a good suggestion. Bill, I don't care for the way the ball plate is welded to the tube. If you set up doesn't quite suit you, try looking at a new one at Wally World. A forged plate welded to the tube would be much stronger and may give you that extra titch in elevation depending which way you mount the ball.

bdef2086-4c39-47ba-8d2e-c192777ede8b_1.9b8f7766f20a4d30003863567443fd60.jpeg

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a custom hitch shop close to you, and if you have enough room on the rear to accept the added length, they can make you a hitch with two sets of holes so you can use it in either position.

I haven't checked the factory receiver for clearance for a longer hitch tail so I don't know if it's feasible.
I was definitely looking at the dual-length mounts. I'd not have one made locally as it would be their shop rate of over 100/hour. Last time I used a local shop (there's only a couple) I almost had to give them my first born to get the Jeep back. YIKES.
But you can buy them on Amazon.
I just need to do a mock-up to see if I can push one in far enough to run it at 8" in the rear.
I have a 2x2 I made to go into the receiver of my SX4 to hold the "AMC for '82" dealership banner on the rear. I can use it to see how far I can slide something in before I buy.

This is one options and 70% cheaper than having a local shop make one (and then have to clean and powder coat it, etc.)
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45220-D...tch+ball+mount+2+inch&qid=1625621278&sr=8-186

@kevman65 has a good suggestion. Bill, I don't care for the way the ball plate is welded to the tube. If you set up doesn't quite suit you, try looking at a new one at Wally World. A forged plate welded to the tube would be much stronger and may give you that extra titch in elevation depending which way you mount the ball.

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount bdef2086-4c39-47ba-8d2e-c192777ede8b_1.9b8f7766f20a4d30003863567443fd60
I agree - the mount in the pictures I posted just doesn't look like something that would hold under stress of some emergency maneuver, etc.
Ball mounts are rated differently, too - some rated 5,000, some 7,500 and so on - I may not be pulling even 6,000 pounds but still - that one looks like it's one of the lowest weight ratings. It's all I had so used it when I towed my trailer to get those signs last year.
I have other really high-capacity rating mounts here but they are for much larger drops and rises so won't work for me with THIS truck. I had them with my F250 and first flatbed which sat above the wheels - so the tongue was way up high.
I wasn't really impressed with the one in the pics I posted - you saying the same pretty much made up my mind - get something new, higher rated weight-wise, and made better. This other one I can put the 1 7/8" ball on for use with my tiny utility trailer that weighs maybe 150 pounds.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I changed the coupler on my lawn roller to 2" so everything I own matches. I think I got the coupler at Harbor Freight. That picture I posted was from Walmart less than twenty bucks. I have a 2" drop for my camper and a 6" drop for my utility trailer, I put a 2" ball on my 4wheeler for the lawn roller.

Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Here is a long one that you can cut down and drill as needed. From Amazon $35.00

71OmMXABv2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The one I posted a link to would be the right rise (3/4" as my other is) and has two holes already - those hidden hitch ones I saw are for reaching back like my front receiver is, but even farther - there the receiver sits way in out of sight. Like the name - it's so far under the vehicle, it's hidden.
I measured what I need hole to hole and 11" is fine so this one should work if I can find it. Amazon doesn't sell it but lists sellers you can buy it from. Makes me wonder if the local truck shops or Walmart might have one, but then, prices through Amazon are far lower than anything locally.

I'm headed to the truck now with that piece from my car to measure if there's clearance for this one if it's pushed in far enough to use the 7.5" hole distance...

CURT 45220 Dual Length Trailer Hitch Ball Mount, 7-1/2-Inch or 10-1/2-Inch Length, Fits 2-Inch Receiver, 7,500 lbs, 1-Inch Hole, 2-In Drop, 3/4-Inch Rise

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I found a local shop called "Accessories of Des Moines" that had a good listing of Curt hitch parts, etc. on their web site. They only stocked some of the more common so yesterday I contacted them via FB and asked them about the Curt 45220. They said they could get me one by noon Friday (today)
I did sort of a mock-up of dimensions using the 2x2 piece I mentioned above - I think. Anyway, using that and another ball mount I had with a Sharpie and tape measure, I figured this would work and clear my spare. They ordered it, I picked it up today and it's a perfect solution for the lack of clearance with the front receiver. Like had I left my original bumper in place, I'd not have the problem, maybe.

Anyway, here it is, works great. The trailer hitch will clear my front bumper as this can be pinned sticking further out from the receiver, and in the back I move it into the receiver and pin it in the other hole so it's not sticking out so far from the back of the truck.

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount 20210709_155902_HDR

Clearance for the spare -

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount 20210709_155448_HDR

Just right in the rear - exactly like my other (only this one is rated a lot higher than my other was)

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount 20210709_155506_HDR

And using the other hole, it allows me to hook up the trailer and the hitch will clear the bumper winch fine.
(I pulled my neighbors mower into our garage today because of the massive 3 to 4" HAIL they had predicted for our area - luckily it missed us - barely. He had it out under my shop lean-to because his shop is full with a truck he's doing frame repair on)

Jeep Gladiator Checking to see if I need a different ball mount 20210709_155643
Sponsored