• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

Iowa Chopped Tires

IAGLADI8R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I just left my dealership after an oil change and tire rotation, the service advisor said 2 of my tires are "chopped", he stated it's common on Jeeps. I've never heard of this, so I googled it. Have any of you had this issue, what is the cause and solution? Google is all over the place.
Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
Not sure, but it may have something to do with the suspension bouncing too much and you have spots on the tires that are thinner than others - making it choppy. If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will be along to correct me soon enough.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Do you have a lift? I had this problem a while ago and was told it was because my alignment was too far off. Also - if it is a suspension problem, shouldn't that be under warranty? Hope that SA put that note in writing!

ETA - had this problem in my Dodge.

OP
OP
IAGLADI8R

IAGLADI8R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I'm going to call my the service guy tomorrow and see if they have any idea of the cause other than "it's a Jeep thing"

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
What kind of tires and how often do you balance and rotate the tires?

There is specific language for different types of uneven tire wear (cupping, etc), but the correct terminology rarely gets used properly. Did the dealer specifically describe what uneven wear they are seeing?

In general though, most common tire issues are not rotating enough and the vehicle being out of alignment.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IAGLADI8R

IAGLADI8R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Union Carpenter
What kind of tires and how often do you balance and rotate the tires?

There is specific language for different types of uneven tire wear (cupping, etc), but the correct terminology rarely gets used properly. Did the dealer specifically describe what uneven wear they are seeing?

In general though, most common tire issues are not rotating enough and the vehicle being out of alignment.
I rotate tires every oil change, the alignment doesn't seem out either, my JT has 24k miles on Rubicon Falken take offs. After he told me the issue with the 2 tires I inspected them myself and some the tread is less worn than the tread directly next to it, no pattern to the wear at all its really strange. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them to this thread.

OP
OP
IAGLADI8R

IAGLADI8R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Not sure how well you can see in these photos, but there a pieces of tread that are definitely higher than others, why it would wear unevenly like that is beyond me.

20210921_155915.jpg

20210921_155901.jpg

20210921_155855.jpg

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Not sure how well you can see in these photos, but there a pieces of tread that are definitely higher than others, why it would wear unevenly like that is beyond me.

Jeep Gladiator Chopped Tires 20210921_155855

I have seen that type of wear on one of my friends JKs on MTs that were not rotated, how were they rotated? front to back or cross corner?

OP
OP
IAGLADI8R

IAGLADI8R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I have seen that type of wear on one of my friends JKs on MTs that were not rotated, how were they rotated? front to back or cross corner?
Cross corner I believe

Sponsored

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How often do you change oil (and therefore rotate?) Aggressive MT tires usually should be rotated every 3000. I even do my AT tires every 3000 to keep on top of any whacky wear.

Boostnu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Machinist
I agree with the guys above. I’ve never heard it referred to as chopping though. I’ve always heard it called cupping. It normally happens when the tires aren’t rotated enough. If you are going 5-7,000 miles on oil changes you may want to rotate them in between oil cages at around 3k miles like mentioned above.

OP
OP
IAGLADI8R

IAGLADI8R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I've been rotating every 5k Mike's so maybe I should go with 3k. I'm going to have the suspension looked at too

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now the bummer is... once the tires get that way, usually the only fix is new tires. (After ruling out any underlying alignment/suspension issues of course)

I've heard of some machines that can shave down the tires to be true again, but never actually seen or met anyone thats done it... can't imagine it would be very cost effective either.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Cross rotate them and run them. Does not look like any major issues.
Sponsored