First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Folks, anyone know where I cab get an aftermarket cigarette lighter/element-plug-in which works with the Gladiator 12v outlet on the dash board which actually works? I don't smoke but looking to get one as an emergency fire-starter...I thought this would be an easy search on google and amazon but it seems most of them are specific to a car, blow fuses, or don't pop-out after heating up.

Appreciate it in advance,
-Joe
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've always wondered about something like this to plug into the trailer connector, which has a much higher amperage rating, and using a lighter in it.........

https://www.amazon.com/Tow-Ready-118019-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B007CYB1N2

Now sure how heavy the wiring to that in-dash 12 volt outlet is, I've not paid any real attention (even though I moved mine to make room for the trailer brake connector) but I would expect with a 20 amp fuse powering it the wiring has to be substantial enough to handle a lighter.

If you wanted to try, I have lighter parts from 1980s cars here.........

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
I've always wondered about something like this to plug into the trailer connector, which has a much higher amperage rating, and using a lighter in it.........

https://www.amazon.com/Tow-Ready-118019-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B007CYB1N2

Now sure how heavy the wiring to that in-dash 12 volt outlet is, I've not paid any real attention (even though I moved mine to make room for the trailer brake connector) but I would expect with a 20 amp fuse powering it the wiring has to be substantial enough to handle a lighter.

If you wanted to try, I have lighter parts from 1980s cars here.........
I appreciate your insight Shadow and the offer of lighter parts...I should have one in my 2003 STS (in the ashtray I hope :)). I've only used that outlet for my radar detector all these years.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Folks, anyone know where I cab get an aftermarket cigarette lighter/element-plug-in which works with the Gladiator 12v outlet on the dash board which actually works? I don't smoke but looking to get one as an emergency fire-starter...I thought this would be an easy search on google and amazon but it seems most of them are specific to a car, blow fuses, or don't pop-out after heating up.

Appreciate it in advance,
-Joe
Send me P.M. with your address, You pay S/H. You can have the cigar lighter from my JT. I'll have to dig it out of the ashtray cup thing and box it up. Never used pulled it out as soon as I got it home.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Send me P.M. with your address, You pay S/H. You can have the cigar lighter from my JT. I'll have to dig it out of the ashtray cup thing and box it up. Never used pulled it out as soon as I got it home.
Great, glad to see there's a solution.

Apparently your JT had the smokers group?

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Great, glad to see there's a solution.

Apparently your JT had the smokers group?
Yeah that I didn't want or need so no cover for the power port since it had the lighter and a "cup" thing for a ashtray. The lighter went in it then both came out of my JT as soon as I got it home. I will advise everyone to be careful with how much current you try to get from factory 12v / cigar lighter outlets in your Jeep. I fried the one in my LJ with just a small fan and had to replace it. Not risking it in my JT.

Bobchadwickga

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Insurance
How about alligator clips directly off the battery with a fuse in line. Stows away nicely when you aren't using it.
Sponsored