GaryG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP JT Rubicon Bright White, 2008 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I got an Thule Xsporter because I like how the uprights are vertical like the cab of the truck. I've been looking around on the forum here and cannot see the same issue I ran into. When you really tighten down the clamps, it compresses the plastic bed rail cap and over a short time period, the clamps come loose because the plastic cap isn't solid. See the deformity circled in the picture.

Does anybody have any idea's on how to prevent this? Just don't tighten it that much?

BedRailCapIssue.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
GaryG

GaryG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My only idea would be to add some material at the top and the bottom of the clamp to spread out the load and not warp the plastic as much...
The top of the clamping surface is pretty solid 15" of aluminum, the bottom is the steel edge of the bed and each clamp has a 4" bar on the bottom spreading the load there. The problem, I think, is there are voids in the bed cap allowing it to compress at those points. I don't know how to pop it off to check. If I could, I could fill those voids with epoxy or something to make them solid.
Here's a pic of the clip on the underside, any thoughts

BedCapClip.jpg

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I got an Thule Xsporter because I like how the uprights are vertical like the cab of the truck. I've been looking around on the forum here and cannot see the same issue I ran into. When you really tighten down the clamps, it compresses the plastic bed rail cap and over a short time period, the clamps come loose because the plastic cap isn't solid. See the deformity circled in the picture.

Does anybody have any idea's on how to prevent this? Just don't tighten it that much?

BedRailCapIssue.jpg
Does it on mine too, but within a day after removing the rack they flattened back out to where you can't tell anything was mounted. I didn't have any issue with them coming loose, they stayed tight for the 3 weeks they were on. I have the TracRac.
20190630_161853s.jpg

If anything, based on your picture, they're not tight enough...Here's a better pic that shows how much they compressed on mine:

20190630_153047-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
GaryG

GaryG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does it on mine too, but within a day after removing the rack they flattened back out to where you can't tell anything was mounted. I didn't have any issue with them coming loose, they stayed tight for the 3 weeks they were on. I have the TracRac.
20190630_161853s.jpg

If anything, based on your picture, they're not tight enough...Here's a better pic that shows how much they compressed on mine:

20190630_153047-jpg.jpg
Thanks for the comparison, I'll crank down a little harder next time I put the rack on. And you're right, they flattened out fine shortly after taking the rack off.

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Determine where the clamps go, remove the plastic cap, put some aluminum bar stock of appropriate dimensions on the bed using two sided tape or similar, put the plastic cap back on.

cgm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon
I have the same boat... Getting that thing up to the roof is a chore. I opted for the harbor freight version of the Thule goal post in the receiver hitch and put the boat in the bed of my Tacoma.

That boat was the main reason I sold my jk for the Tacoma... Now I am waiting for the right bed track and tonneau cover for the gladiator so I can get back in a Jeep. I don't have a solution for you... But I am hoping someone comes up with a solution that works. My buddy has a sweet setup on his tundra that has the same Thule racks mounted to the rails of his roll up tonneau. I hope they make the same setup for the gladiator.

dcsnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon JT & 2018 Rubicon JL
Bobzdar, could you tell me which clamps you are using for your rack? It looks like you did not need to remove the trail rail bars. I also have the trail rail bars and would like to keep them in place. The ones I got with the tracarc one are different looking.
Thanks,
Don
Sponsored