Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.classaction.org/news/he...ver-alleged-3.6l-pentastar-v6-engine-problems

Im fairly certain i have recently developed the tick, just found this article about the impending class action lawsuit against fca for the issue. The thing i find odd is the article doesnt show the gladiator as being listed in the suit. Does anybody know about this?
The list is weird. What about all of the changes for 2015? And why only 2014-15 on Grand Cherokee since they all used the 3.6? But didn't the valve train change to 2 step VVL - meaning big changes in the valve train in that time period?
This doesn't make total sense to me.
Not the years covered, not the vehicles mentioned and then not mentioned and not with the changes in the design.

OK, I checked myself, I was right - in 2015 for the 16 model year:
The most compelling enhancement is two-step variable valve lift (VVL). The system is designed to remain mostly in low-lift mode until the customer demands more power;

That means the model years covered in this make little sense since the cams and rockers changed greatly in 15 for the 16 model year.

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership
The list is weird. What about all of the changes for 2015? And why only 2014-15 on Grand Cherokee since they all used the 3.6? But didn't the valve train change to 2 step VVL - meaning big changes in the valve train in that time period?
Not the years covered, not the vehicles mentioned and then not mentioned and not with the changes in the design.

The most compelling enhancement is two-step variable valve lift (VVL). The system is designed to remain mostly in low-lift mode until the customer demands more power;

That means the model years covered in this make little sense since the cams and rockers changed greatly in 15 for the 16 model year.
Didn’t the gladiator come with the same VVL when it was released? This would explain why the wrangler is listed and not the gladiator if they kept the same lifter design through the 2020 model year instead of increasing production demand across two models.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Didn’t the gladiator come with the same VVL when it was released? This would explain why the wrangler is listed and not the gladiator if they kept the same lifter design through the 2020 model year instead of increasing production demand across two models.
Both the Wrangler and Gladiator have VVL.
All indications I can find are that it has the same basic engine.
20, 21 and 22 for the Gladiator would all have the same VVL - it's the cam design and rocker or follower design.
The Pentastar was upgraded for the 2016 model year. That means VVL was in the engine well before 2020

So, that being said - Wrangler and Gladiator both have that feature in all 3.6 engines in 2020.

And since that feature came out in 2016 model year, the suit's including 2014 model years with a totally different 2020 model year doesn't make sense.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
20, 21 and 22 for the Gladiator would all have the same VVL - it's the cam design and rocker or follower design.
The Pentastar was upgraded for the 2016 model year. That means VVL was in the engine well before 2020

So, that being said - Wrangler and Gladiator both have that feature in all 3.6 engines in 2020.

And since that feature came out in 2016 model year, the suit's including 2014 model years with a totally different 2020 model year doesn't make sense.
I don't believe my 2016 JKU has VVL. It might have been a halfway through the year thing, though. Our 2016 was made in late 2015

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operations Leadership

They may both have the same features but the internal design could have been different. Again, most manufactures will phase updates to engines and transmissions across the different models that use the same platform. This way they don’t over burden the supply chain and can use current production models until truly obsolete or the penny pinchers agree they have achieved the expected ROI on a certain assembly/part.

The only way to say for certain is to look at the rockers. Anyone have the valve cover pulled off their 2020 gladiator?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They may both have the same features but the internal design could have been different. Again, most manufactures will phase updates to engines and transmissions across the different models that use the same platform. This way they don’t over burden the supply chain and can use current production models until truly obsolete or the penny pinchers agree they have achieved the expected ROI on a certain assembly/part.

The only way to say for certain is to look at the rockers. Anyone have the valve cover pulled off their 2020 gladiator?
The change was made years ago. Yes, the JT DOES have VVL (variable valve lift) for a fact. It's listed in the build sheet, window sticker and elsewhere. There's no supply chain to it - the engine was changed back then. This was already in place by 2020.
They won't be still phasing this in 4 years later.
This is a Jeep Gladiator 3.6 cam and followers -

Jeep Gladiator Class action lawsuit against fca 0225221846a

Here is a 2019 Wrangler cam and rockers - showing both the 2019 Wrangler and the 2020 Gladiator used the same engine, same cam design, same rocker design, both have variable valve lift (VVL)

Jeep Gladiator Class action lawsuit against fca wranger-cam

Jeep Gladiator Class action lawsuit against fca wranger-rockers

OP
OP
glassjawkid32

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

I'm not really sure about valve train changes to this engine. As far as I can tell from researching this before and now after buying, the ground zero for this problem is cheap rocker bearings. Not sure if that would have changed ir not, but it seems like "the tick" never went away regardless of any changes. Mine has started making a tick similar the tapping a key on thick glass. The tick goes away once warmed but it's clearly not normal valve train chatter.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe my 2016 JKU has VVL. It might have been a halfway through the year thing, though. Our 2016 was made in late 2015
It simply says "for the 2016 model year" and that it was introduced initially in 2 models.
But - by 2019 for sure others had the same design.
Likely earlier by the complaints I see about Wrangler cams.

By 2019 they should have been the same in all engines. Since the 2019 Wrangler and 2020 Gladiator engines have VVL, the dual-profile cams............ hmmmm

Sponsored

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operations Leadership
The change was made years ago. Yes, the JT DOES have VVL (variable valve lift) for a fact. It's listed in the build sheet, window sticker and elsewhere. There's no supply chain to it - the engine was changed back then. This was already in place by 2020.
They won't be still phasing this in 4 years later.
This is a Jeep Gladiator 3.6 cam and followers -

Here is a 2019 Wrangler cam and rockers - showing both the 2019 Wrangler and the 2020 Gladiator used the same engine, same cam design, same rocker design, both have variable valve lift (VVL)

I’m well aware that both models had VVL. I don’t think there was any dispute on that. I was simply stating they may have made a change in how the part was manufactured which would exclude certain model years. From the photos you posted that doesn’t necessarily look to be the case.

Also, for what it’s worth, this isn’t the first class action involving the tick with the heads (specifically the left) on the 3.6

https://www.classaction.org/media/melson-v-fca-us-llc.pdf

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m well aware that both models had VVL. I don’t think there was any dispute on that. I was simply stating they may have made a change in how the part was manufactured which would exclude certain model years. From the photos you posted that doesn’t necessarily look to be the case.

Also, for what it’s worth, this isn’t the first class action involving the tick with the heads (specifically the left) on the 3.6

https://www.classaction.org/media/melson-v-fca-us-llc.pdf
The cam issues of the last couple of years have been right side intake cams (odd-numbered cylinders)

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operations Leadership
The cam issues of the last couple of years have been right side intake cams (odd-numbered cylinders)
I wasn’t aware of cam issues on the right side being common or the most recent issues. The most recent class action seems to allude to general issues but not necessarily side specific.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Things like this are usually not due to engine design or generations, but due to the materials used in their construction. A defect is found based on the material or supplier and it's traced to specific engines. Therefore you won't find too many commonalities based on the engine year or vehicle it was in, but rather based on the component suppliers, raw material documents and serialization records from FCA.

They hit these things with a shotgun blast of accusations in order to get traction. Best way to bring light to the problem is to make it look bigger than it is. Don't waste your time trying to "figure it out". It's more than likely going to be based on the serial of the engine itself.
Sponsored