First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
3A1005ED-8421-4A13-8034-EFC4A8026520.jpeg
CA6A72F4-FA4C-4F55-A25B-D3B44373EDE6.jpeg
In looking at the list of the standard features for a Sport model I noticed that it is supposed to come with a Class II receiver hitch. I looked at the 360 exterior view of a Sport model and I could not see any hitch under the bumper. I wonder if this is a 1 and 1/4” tube hitch under the bumper or if it’s just a hole in the bumper where you can just attach a hitch ball into.

Interesting thing to also note is that it also comes standard with a 4 pin and a 7 pin wiring harness. And then you can also order a towing package that has a class IV hitch which also comes with a zoom on the back up camera, a 240 AMP alternator and heavy duty engine cooling.

Jeep charges $800 for a class IV hitch for a normal Wrangler so I guess that they will change about the same for their towing package which is a class IV hitch on a Gladiator. A local hitch company told me they would charge $150 for a class IV hitch on a Wrangler and $200 for the wiring so perhaps it would be about the same for a Gladiator. I will be waiting for the delayed release of the Gobi color. So before I even think of paying the above $800 I will wait and look at a Sport on a dealers lot to see what their standard class II hitch looks like and to make certain that it really does have the 4 and 7 pin wiring standard. Don’t really need the class IV hitch. And a class II with wiring included would be nice standard things to have on a base Sport model.

So if anyone gets a base Sport or sees one then please post pictures of this hitch and wiring pins. Thanks much.
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I hope by the time the diesel comes out, they will have realized you need a brake controller option.
(forgive me if it already lists it & I missed it)

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
It’s fine for my needs. I have a small trailer to haul kayaks with.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Oh & fyi I’m certain that there’s a lot of you out there that may not need the max towing ability of the Gladiator. You may have a small motor boat or a jet-ski or a motorcycle trailer. You may need only 3,000 to 4,000 towing ability. I don’t know what the rating of a class II hitch is but I doubt it will handle 3,000 to 4,000 pounds. So for you folks if it does come with wiring and a small class II hitch then I suggest that you save your money, don’t pay Jeep the $800 for their class IV hitch. And when you get your Gladiator take it to a local hitch shop and have them remove the class II hitch that it comes with and have them put in a class III or IV and pay them nothing for wiring since it should already have that and you may pay about $200 total. And with the $600 you saved go out and have a few chilly beers with my compliments. Cheers!!!

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Oh & fyi I’m certain that there’s a lot of you out there that may not need the max towing ability of the Gladiator. You may have a small motor boat or a jet-ski or a motorcycle trailer. You may need only 3,000 to 4,000 towing ability. I don’t know what the rating of a class II hitch is but I doubt it will handle 3,000 to 4,000 pounds. So for you folks if it does come with wiring and a small class II hitch then I suggest that you save your money, don’t pay Jeep the $800 for their class IV hitch. And when you get your Gladiator take it to a local hitch shop and have them remove the class II hitch that it comes with and have them put in a class III or IV and pay them nothing for wiring since it should already have that and you may pay about $200 total. And with the $600 you saved go out and have a few chilly beers with my compliments. Cheers!!!
The towing package is more than just the receiver.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
CAB1B16E-B50F-42DF-BC5E-9D47DC11BF7A.jpeg
Yes I am well aware of that. As pointed out in my original post that if you need the max towing capacity then you will also get the class IV hitch plus you will get the zoom ability on the back up camera, the 240 amp alternator and heavy duty engine cooling. But if you don’t need that much tow capacity then save the $800 and handle it as I had suggested last night.

Oh and FYI from my post about the trail rail system I had listed the attached which comes from the Jeep feature and availability listing guide. This also shows that the wiring and class II “bumper” hitch is standard, not a “receiver” hitch as listed on the build site. Now I wonder which type of hitch it would really come with.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
10274B3F-7F8F-4A86-BC63-A560BB2596C1.jpeg
8E4F4542-7E73-49D4-A014-439FBC0D5322.png
Here’s a picture of a Ford bumper with 3 holes in the bumper for hitch balls to go into. And here’s a picture of a Gladiator bumper. As you can see there’s no holes in the bumper to put a hitch ball into. I wonder if they would have a totally different bumper that would have holes in them for a ball to go into and they would call that a class II hitch.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
CAB1B16E-B50F-42DF-BC5E-9D47DC11BF7A.jpeg
Yes I am well aware of that. As pointed out in my original post that if you need the max towing capacity then you will also get the class IV hitch plus you will get the zoom ability on the back up camera, the 240 amp alternator and heavy duty engine cooling. But if you don’t need that much tow capacity then save the $800 and handle it as I had suggested last night.

Oh and FYI from my post about the trail rail system I had listed the attached which comes from the Jeep feature and availability listing guide. This also shows that the wiring and class II “bumper” hitch is standard, not a “receiver” hitch as listed on the build site. Now I wonder which type of hitch it would really come with.
So wait up... That says the the bed plug is available on Sport. And someone said you get it only with power lock/window. So the Sport has power locks if you get Max Tow, and MOPAR Leather seats as an option. I need to see the max tow option again on the build & price tool. Any ideas Max Tow Price?

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Yes I had posted that one about the bed power plug only being available when you get a Sport S or higher trim level. But I got an email from a guy with Jeep telling me that the trail rail system would be available on all trim levels, includes the base Sport level. And yes I know, this is not what the build site shows. Really need to see if this turns out to be correct once dealers can actually order the trucks.
Sponsored