First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Stingray Gray
Occupation
Sales
Saved my pennies and convinced the wife to contribute to an early Christmas gift and sprung for the @Clayton Off Road 2.5" Overland lift for the Gladiator. This is my daily driver and hunting/camping rig so I was looking for something reasonable but still more capable than the 2010 4runner I left for the Gladiator. This fit my bill after all my research and some great support from each manufacturer I reached out to. Disclaimer: I have never installed a lift before, I'm mechanically inclined, but often rush to get stuff done... this was my experience, but it might not be yours if you are considering the same lift. Tools used, hydraulic jack, (2) jack stands, metric socket set, deep metric impact set, impact wrench, large crescent wrench, gorilla tape, sawsaw, pliers.

Clayton packaged everything like a boss in 13 packages (including the shocks and steering stabilizer [installed earlier]), with a sh*t ton of stickers, but no instructions. No big deal, they are available from their website for download and are very detailed. Additionally this video from JK Gear and Gadgets was very helpful.

I laid everything out front to rear so I could make a plan of action, decided to start with springs. shocks, sway bar links, track bar and bump stops in the front.
Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5" Overland Lift Driveway Solo Install Review IMG_1068

These instructions are pretty detailed but without the video and some calls to Clayton, I would have been in trouble. The shocks, springs and track bar were pretty straight forward. I found that if you use gorilla tape to keep the spring rubber vibration isolator in the right position taped to the frame you will save tons of time. I also found the bump stops did not need holes drilled, the bolts fit through the existing holes just fine, although the nuts underneath are a Bit&H!!! Leave the coil spring positioned under the bump stop, instructions leave that out. The front sway bar link instructions need a few edits they say to "Install sway bar links with the studs facing in" on the Driver side the top and bottom need to oppose each other, see below. I followed their instructions first and it was severely angled, reviewed my before photos and saw that they were opposed.
Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5" Overland Lift Driveway Solo Install Review IMG_4392

Additionally they tell you to cut 3.5" inches from each side to achieve the recommended 8.063" length for the 2.5" lift. If you do that, install both jam nuts to each end and the Johnny joints and thread everything all the way down you end up at 8.25" center to center. If the threads went all the way to center this would be a non issue. Note, the track bar jam nut is very hard to tighten in this location, I ended up pulling the steering stabilizer to get on it.
Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5" Overland Lift Driveway Solo Install Review IMG_4395

Moving on to the rear coil springs, shocks, track bar, bump stops and sway bar links. Again straight forward instructions for the most part. Definitely loosen the all the track bar and controls arm bolts, and remove the brake line bolts and clips, you will need every inch and then some to get the longer coil springs in there. I ended up having to use a ratchet strap to compress the spring and then sit on the axle and hop to get it in place. Also used the tape trick on the vibration isolator. There's probably a better way... again, newb here. All of that took me the better part of 7.5 hrs.

I saved the control arms for the next day. They went smoothly except for being able to torque everything from underneath the jeep at drive height, really needed more room to do that appropriately but did get everything to spec and some probably past spec with the impact wrench. One note, all of the Clayton recommended lengths for the 2.5" lift were spot on with the exception of the rear upper control arm. They listed 16.577" and to get the appropriate rear pinion angle I had to adjust mine to 16.875". The axle is centered and pinion angle is correct so I went with it.
Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5" Overland Lift Driveway Solo Install Review IMG_4398

The front specs I followed exactly and castor angle seems perfect and this sucker drives like it's on rails. Still taking it for an alignment after the 37's go on next week. Might do 4.88's at the same time if I can find the right shop. Very pleased with this lift and the quality of all the components! A human picked up the phone each time I called them and they were very helpful! Beauty shots...

Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5" Overland Lift Driveway Solo Install Review IMG_1110

Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5" Overland Lift Driveway Solo Install Review IMG_1109

Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5" Overland Lift Driveway Solo Install Review IMG_1107
Sponsored

OP
OP
JBahr

JBahr

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Update*** Got the appropriate Shoes on her... 37 x 12.5 x 17 Falken Wildpeak MT's... The spare does not fit... @Clayton Off Road I'm going to need that new rear track bar.
Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5" Overland Lift Driveway Solo Install Review IMG_4427

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Update*** Got the appropriate Shoes on her... 37 x 12.5 x 17 Falken Wildpeak MT's... The spare does not fit... @Clayton Off Road I'm going to need that new rear track bar.
IMG_4427.jpeg
That looks great! You need a build thread. :like:

Woolf

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptors
That looks Yuge! You sure that's just a 2.5" lift? LOL

Sponsored

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
Looks great! Don't feel bad...took me 11 hours to install my AEV 2.5" lift this past weekend and I'm still tired from it...not to mention my bloody knuckles! 😀

OP
OP
JBahr

JBahr

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Right now, with about 500 miles since the install, it's showing a 2.75 front lift from stock and 2.5" rear. I'm carrying some weight on both so I'm very pleased!

Wet Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Did you do the control arms with the wheels back on and truck back on the ground (one at a time of course)? Just ordered this kit myself so trying to plan the install.

OP
OP
JBahr

JBahr

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Did you do the control arms with the wheels back on and truck back on the ground (one at a time of course)? Just ordered this kit myself so trying to plan the install.
I did put the wheels back on and yes on level ground. You will need to remove more than one at a time to be able to shift the axle the appropriate direction and adjust castor and pinion angle. Supporting the axle at the pinion with a jack will help immensely! The directions are pretty solid for these steps and the measurements were very close for my truck, definitely would start there. Good luck, Happy to answer any further questions.

Reactions: aai

Sponsored

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5" Overland Lift Driveway Solo Install Review IMG_4427
Nice! I have the same lift coming and getting the same tires, but I am curious if you have any rubbing with the stock (?) wheels? Wheels and tires still on back-order so some time to change my mind lol.

OP
OP
JBahr

JBahr

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Nice! I have the same lift coming and getting the same tires, but I am curious if you have any rubbing with the stock (?) wheels? Wheels and tires still on back-order so some time to change my mind lol.
Yes initially retires rub the front lower control arms at full lock. It’s noticeable and not something you’d want to drive with, It certainly interferes with normal parking operations. I added inch and a half spider tracks spacers.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Yes initially retires rub the front lower control arms at full lock. It’s noticeable and not something you’d want to drive with, It certainly interferes with normal parking operations. I added inch and a half spider tracks spacers.
Good to know, thanks.

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Great install and the truck looks awesome. just curious which engine you have?

im thinking about the Clayton overland lift but I have a diesel and wanted to see the rake first.

OP
OP
JBahr

JBahr

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Great install and the truck looks awesome. just curious which engine you have?

im thinking about the Clayton overland lift but I have a diesel and wanted to see the rake first.
I've got the 3.6L Gas Engine. Reach out to Clayton, I believe they have a diesel solution already, may not be listed online.
Sponsored