Sponsored

Clayton 2.5 Overland Plus Diesel bottoming out

dparker1901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
Hey guys need some help here. I reached out to Clayton but I think their tech guy may be on vacation right now.

I installed this system coupled with the Falcon SP2 3.3 shocks recommended to me by Clayton and the on road driving response has been FANTASTIC.

However, if I roll the front end off anything 6” or more I bottom the truck out as there is only 1-1/4” of space before the jounce contacts the higher Clayton bump stops that they include with the kit. Down travel is awesome but there is VERY little up. Here is a picture of the setup on flat pavement.

Thanks for the help!!

Jeep Gladiator Clayton 2.5 Overland Plus Diesel bottoming out 4E809D6A-DCC5-4FBC-932A-22F1B3C2C4B4
Sponsored

Last edited:

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
support the front end from the frame, pull those stupid spacers and you spring put the tire back on, then start jacking the axle up on that end without the spring and spacer to find out how far you can stuff your tire before it rubs stuff or the shock bottoms out. Measure the gap from axle spring perch to the bottom of the nipple looking bump stop add 1" to that distance, that is how tall your lower bump stop needs to be.

Report back how much was removed.

those shocks look almost mis-matched for the lift, the body looks very long with not much shaft exposed. How long is the shock body and how much shaft is exposed at rest? A good rule of thumb for a shock is to have the exposed shaft at rest equal to about half the length of the shock body. AKA you want the shaft at rest at about mid stroke.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Generally 2" bump stop extensions are good up to 3 1/2" lift.

Clayton says on their page you can customize by cutting them off.

If you don't want to do that, there are segmented systems out there that do 2" steps, I've seen one that is 2" initial then 1" steps.

But yes, I think your bump stops both front and rear are too tall at 3 1/4" and 3".

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I mean there's basically no room between the bump stop and the jounce in there. You have like an inch to go before you're compressing the jounce.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
How much lift did you get out of the kit? I’d say you don’t have much and the spring may need replaced.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I'm with @rharr 100% on this one. You need to do a little tuning to dial in the bumpstop height because that is not nearly enough gap. You can see the dirt on the shock shaft and you've got probably two inches you're not using which means your bumps are cutting the stroke short.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I was going to say maybe it's just part of the Overland package to limit travel with higher COG on the vehicle.
But they show using the 3-1/4"/3" combo on all their JT lifts.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Are you sure that's not the spec for the taller springs? I understand Clayton's 3.5 is more like a 4.5 and given what I added to my MC lift, that would likely be around correct for a true 4+ inches of lift.

OP
OP
dparker1901

dparker1901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
support the front end from the frame, pull those stupid spacers and you spring put the tire back on, then start jacking the axle up on that end without the spring and spacer to find out how far you can stuff your tire before it rubs stuff or the shock bottoms out. Measure the gap from axle spring perch to the bottom of the nipple looking bump stop add 1" to that distance, that is how tall your lower bump stop needs to be.

Report back how much was removed.

those shocks look almost mis-matched for the lift, the body looks very long with not much shaft exposed. How long is the shock body and how much shaft is exposed at rest? A good rule of thumb for a shock is to have the exposed shaft at rest equal to about half the length of the shock body. AKA you want the shaft at rest at about mid stroke.

Any chance I am just dealing with too soft of a spring for the Diesel engine?

Sponsored

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
I pretty sure Clayton recommends the 3.5 in spring for the diesel due to the extra weight.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There are two ways you can help to alleviate this issue! The first way would be to add a small coil spacer to the front of the vehicle which would bring that bump stop up a bit higher, therefore, increasing travel before it hits the extension, but this would also level out your vehicle a little bit more so depending on how you like/want the stance this might not be the option you want to go with. The second would be to trim off some of the bump stop extensions provided in the kit. We recommend flexing the vehicle out first in order to see exactly how much bump stop can be cut off so that you don't in turn make your shocks becoming the limiting factor in travel. These diesel motors are heavy, and while there's not much that can be done to stop these vehicles from bottoming out completely, either of these solutions should definitely help out a good bit! Reach out to us if you need any further assistance or have any questions!

OP
OP
dparker1901

dparker1901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
There are two ways you can help to alleviate this issue! The first way would be to add a small coil spacer to the front of the vehicle which would bring that bump stop up a bit higher, therefore, increasing travel before it hits the extension, but this would also level out your vehicle a little bit more so depending on how you like/want the stance this might not be the option you want to go with. The second would be to trim off some of the bump stop extensions provided in the kit. We recommend flexing the vehicle out first in order to see exactly how much bump stop can be cut off so that you don't in turn make your shocks becoming the limiting factor in travel. These diesel motors are heavy, and while there's not much that can be done to stop these vehicles from bottoming out completely, either of these solutions should definitely help out a good bit! Reach out to us if you need any further assistance or have any questions!
I’ll flex it today and let you know.. Thank you very much for reaching out!