Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Man seeing the customer service from Clayton here on the forum has sealed the deal for me on buying a Clayton lift! Now I just need to decide which one...
MyJeep.jpg
Definitely give us a call or shoot us a PM if you need some help!
Sponsored

hickman785

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Security
This is definitely the most complete "base" kit on the market to properly lift and align the JT! Nice that you can add on extra control arms later. I have the 2.5" fronts and 3.5" rear springs on my JTR w/ Falcon SP2 3.3's and love it. 37's on AEV Borah's and no rubbing at all. Just remember to get a minimum 3" bump stop front and rear.

IMG_20200831_114124.jpg

IMG_20200908_111952_948.jpg
How smooth is the ride on your Jeep. I just added the 3.3 shocks and I cannot tell any difference from the factory shocks. I'm waiting on the Clayton Ride Right 2.5" kit to come in and hopefully improve my ride.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
It feels so good when things worked as they should. Got my truck back from the shop and all is well that ends well. The ride is nice and tight... and quiet!! I've learned a lot but not sure if I want to tackle it again unless I had extra free time.
So what ended up causing your clunking noise? I am experiencing the same thing. I just finished installing the Clayton 3.5 Overland+ last week by myself and I am experiencing the same clunking noise over slow speed bumps.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
So what ended up causing your clunking noise? I am experiencing the same thing. I just finished installing the Clayton 3.5 Overland+ last week by myself and I am experiencing the same clunking noise over slow speed bumps.
I was told all the nuts and bolts were loose. I didn't tight things up on the ground either. Strange as I thought I had tighten things up pretty good. Couldn't hit some of the higher torque specs though.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enabler
I was told all the nuts and bolts were loose. I didn't tight things up on the ground either. Strange as I thought I had tighten things up pretty good. Couldn't hit some of the higher torque specs though.
Weird, I tightened everything up while the Gladiator was on the ground. I also used a torque wrench. 190ft/lbs torque on the control arm nuts/bolts was the worst.

Sponsored

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Weird, I tightened everything up while the Gladiator was on the ground. I also used a torque wrench. 190ft/lbs torque on the control arm nuts/bolts was the worst.
That's what I thought too. Maybe do it again and see what happens.

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I think 2 things are possible..
1) something is loose
2) double check all the arms and make sure they are rotated the correct direction. I had help on mine and when I climbed under (I usually don’t get down as I can’t get up.. with my back surgery and so on).. found my front upper arms making contact with the motor mount .. double checked the directions..(funny how much sense they make after the fact lol)... rotated then the correct direction and adjusted the castor.. I tightened my steering box a little and now it is a worked of difference .. slight wondering vs bouncing into the other lane in a split second.. very happy with the lift and .. I will give it another weekend to retighten everything...it’s my weekend cruiser.. still under 4K miles dimes November .. love this thing..

side note(hate to admit)... I have spent more on this Jeep than I have on the wife ... ( well that I know of haaa)..

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enabler
I finally figured out my front clunking noise.

While I was retightening the front upper control arms (didn't need to since they were all torqued to 90ft/lbs.) I noticed both of my front bumpstops were loose. The nuts for both front bump stops came loose and I lost them on the highway.

The bumpstops were the source of the clunking noise as they were rattling inside the coils.

All is good now. Love the Clayton 3.5 Overland+ Kit.

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I finally figured out my front clunking noise.

While I was retightening the front upper control arms (didn't need to since they were all torqued to 90ft/lbs.) I noticed both of my front bumpstops were loose. The nuts for both front bump stops came loose and I lost them on the highway.

The bumpstops were the source of the clunking noise as they were rattling inside the coils.

All is good now. Love the Clayton 3.5 Overland+ Kit.
Glad you were able to sort this out! It's usually always something super simple like this :) If you need anything else let us know, we're always happy to help!

ArloGuthroJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTRD
Installed the 2.5" Overland Plus kit over the weekend - and the first test drive produced no clunks! I ended up with 2.5" lift in the back, and 3.25" in the front (which was surprising since I have the diesel/winch/bumper). I was previously bottoming out on pretty mild bumps in the front due to the lack of up travel...no more though!

Ride largely feels unchanged driving around the city (haven't tried highway yet). And the measurements were spot on for all the control arm/trackbar/SBEL lengths so thanks for that COR!

Ordering tires/wheels today...

Jeep Gladiator Clayton Off Road JT Suspension Systems small

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Installed the 2.5" Overland Plus kit over the weekend - and the first test drive produced no clunks! I ended up with 2.5" lift in the back, and 3.25" in the front (which was surprising since I have the diesel/winch/bumper). I was previously bottoming out on pretty mild bumps in the front due to the lack of up travel...no more though!

Ride largely feels unchanged driving around the city (haven't tried highway yet). And the measurements were spot on for all the control arm/trackbar/SBEL lengths so thanks for that COR!

small.jpg
Looks Great ! One recommendation - disconnect your front sway bar on your rubicon, turn off your motor and use an allen wrench and 18mm open end wrench and make sure your front sway bar end links are tight. Mine have come loose a few times, and I am going with blue locktite on them - even though they already have locking flange nuts. I think one of my nuts is not locking anymore... Time for a new locking flange nut for me.

Last edited:

ArloGuthroJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTRD
Looks Great ! One recommendation - disconnect your front sway bar on your rubicon, turn off your motor and use an allen wrench and 18mm open end wrench and make sure your front sway bar end links are tight. Mine have come loose a few times, and I am going with blue locktite on them - even though they already have nylon locking nuts.
Yeah I saw your message about that happening to ya - I think I have mine torqued down tight enough but we'll see...lifts can always stand a retorquing after a few hundred miles anyways :)

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Jeep Gladiator Clayton Off Road JT Suspension Systems small
Looks great! Can't wait to see it with the new tires! :rock:

4BT_CJ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ5, 21 JTR
Brake lines - yes. Shock Length determines this, and the Falcon SP2 3.3 adjustable rear that I bought is long. Take a look at this shock chart, it is whopping 32.30 inches long. So, I needed the extra brake lines. The Falcon SP2 mono tube is 2.5 inches shorter, so, you may not need the extra brake lines for that shock.

Regarding front drive shaft, I changed it because it was recommended. I did not try running the stock front driveshaft off road.

Jeep Gladiator Clayton Off Road JT Suspension Systems PXL_20210516_194034952.MP

Here you can see that even the red extended brake lines are at their limit when the rear shocks are fully extended. I also needed to pull some frame mounting tabs off the wheel sensor wires to extend them.

Jeep Gladiator Clayton Off Road JT Suspension Systems PXL_20210516_194034952.MP
Did you have to use limit straps? Any concern about losing a coil on full flex? I have heard mention of using the 14-02-33-400-152 shocks w/ the 3.5" clayton but they only have 28.3" of extended length. I like the ideal of more travel but not really interested in limit straps and or popping a coil on full droop.
Sponsored