Sponsored

Clayton Overland Plus 2.5 or 3.5

Brentalight

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn
Occupation
Retired Military
I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get the 2.5 or 3.5 version of the Clayton Overland Plus lift for my 2020 JT Rubicon. I plan to go with 37s and understand they will fit and work perfectly with the 2.5 lift. I dont have plans for bigger wheels. I like the idea of the additional ground clearance of the 3.5 but understand Clayton's lifts are a bit higher than others. Worry 3.5 might be overkill. Can anyone speak to their experiences with either kit and 37s on a Rubicon? Pics would be great too so I can get a visual of how big a difference there is.

Brent
Sponsored

deadbug

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrician
yea, there a bunch of us having the same thoughts, I decided on the 2.5 and when talking to Clayton they said the 2.5 will be more like 3" so with 37's and extra close to 2" figured was good enough for my needs. That should net me around 5" overall. Going 3.5 is recommend to replace front drive shaft and possible brake lines in the rear which I didn't want to get into.
Probably going to need a regear in the future myself so there's that expense coming!

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Depends. If your goal is getting down the trail, the 2.5” and 35-37” tires should do nicely.

If your goal is flexin’ the ‘gram...well, 3.5” plus a spacer and 42’s with pro photography. 37’s wont get you the social media status or meet-up cred a lot of people are looking for

OP
OP
Brentalight

Brentalight

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn
Occupation
Retired Military
Lol. Definitely just looking for functionality.

Thanks for the replies. A local shop recommended the 3.5 but the 2.5 is where I was leaning. Just wanted to hear some opinions and make sure I wasn’t missing something.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Joking aside, most people report the 2.5” gives them 3”; and closer to 4” on the 3.5”. Easily clears a 35-37” tire with the 2.5.

My philosophy is usually to use as little of lift as possible to fully articulate my desired tire size. Keep the COG as low as possible and still be able to do normal life shit. Like park in garages. Haha

Sponsored

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
i went back and forth between the two a bunch and settled on the 3.5" to have extra clearance. I am regearing and doing driveshafts at the same time.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
i went back and forth between the two a bunch and settled on the 3.5" to have extra clearance. I am regearing and doing driveshafts at the same time.
Pics when done. 👌

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Lol. Definitely just looking for functionality.

Thanks for the replies. A local shop recommended the 3.5 but the 2.5 is where I was leaning. Just wanted to hear some opinions and make sure I wasn’t missing something.
In thinking more, im reversing my opinion. if you dont have height interference issues going to the larger lift and youre hppy with the look of the 3.5 and 37, just do that. The breakover angle on these things is rough, and if you really plan to wheel it, the extra lift will come in handy.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
In thinking more, im reversing my opinion. if you dont have height interference issues going to the larger lift and youre hppy with the look of the 3.5 and 37, just do that. The breakover angle on these things is rough, and if you really plan to wheel it, the extra lift will come in handy.
This is basically the same discussion I had with my shop owner, breakover angle compared to my JL makes the 3.5" better if you're going to wheel. BUT you have to think about driveshafts too; i am doing adams 1350 front and rear

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
This is basically the same discussion I had with my shop owner, breakover angle compared to my JL makes the 3.5" better if you're going to wheel. BUT you have to think about driveshafts too; i am doing adams 1350 front and rear
Yeah. Ill be up 3” from a rubicon with my lift; doing a rear carrier bearing drop for the rear and see where that gets me. No getting around doing the front eventually.

Sponsored

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
If this helps, I've been running 37's on the factory suspension & fenders for 16k miles now.

I've done some local off roading, as well as trails like Broken Arrow and trails in Bulldog Canyon.

I had a few mild rubs at Broken Arrow, but not bad at all.

If I could, I'd totally go 1.5" lift to make sure of proper clearance while keeping as low of C.o.G. as possible an hopefully keeping a few mpgs also.

Mind you, my rig was also loaded down with rack, RTT, gear, bikes, molle panels, winch, bumper and recovery gear and still had only minor rubbing.

Again, I'm not rock crawling (max flexing), but I feel really good about how well the JTR did off road.

I personally have my sights set on a Clayton 2.5 kit. (Also important to note, my understanding is that they actually are closer to 3") or Rock Crawler's kit because they have triple rate front and quad rate rear springs!

Jeep Gladiator Clayton Overland Plus 2.5 or 3.5 6529A164-DEB4-449B-931D-03D8FA38B02A

Shoebox

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
If this helps, I've been running 37's on the factory suspension & fenders for 16k miles now.

I've done some local off roading, as well as trails like Broken Arrow and trails in Bulldog Canyon.

I had a few mild rubs at Broken Arrow, but not bad at all.

If I could, I'd totally go 1.5" lift to make sure of proper clearance while keeping as low of C.o.G. as possible an hopefully keeping a few mpgs also.

Mind you, my rig was also loaded down with rack, RTT, gear, bikes, molle panels, winch, bumper and recovery gear and still had only minor rubbing.

Again, I'm not rock crawling (max flexing), but I feel really good about how well the JTR did off road.

I personally have my sights set on a Clayton 2.5 kit. (Also important to note, my understanding is that they actually are closer to 3") or Rock Crawler's kit because they have triple rate front and quad rate rear springs!

Jeep Gladiator Clayton Overland Plus 2.5 or 3.5 6529A164-DEB4-449B-931D-03D8FA38B02A
Any more pics of that setup?